** Sydney 5 Hour Layover - Options? **

Old Mar 31, 19, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K Mileage Plus
Question ** Sydney 5 Hour Layover - Options? **

I have a five hour layover in SYD on April 18. Arriving around 7 AM on United (Polaris Class) and departing at 12:10 PM on JetStar. I know I have to clear customs and immigration and transfer to another terminal, but I expect that to take about an hour.

Is there an arrival lounge or Star Alliance lounge I can access for a few hours after arrival?

Any suggestions? Thank you!

82 Ag
Old Mar 31, 19, 8:47 am

Programs: QF WP
Someone like @Mwenenzi will be along soon with a better answer, so treat this as a bit of a placeholder

i donít think there is an arrivals lounge. I also donít think there are any paid for lounges once youíre into domestic. There may be restaurants that offer some kind of priority pass benefit? There are also free showers available (BYOT)

if you have 5 hours to kill, the qantas domestic terminal has a couple of interesting exhibits- a replica of the AVRO that was their first plane, and a heritage collection/small museum. Both accessible without a qantas boarding pass and well worth a look
Old Mar 31, 19, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 82Ag View Post
I have a five hour layover in SYD on April 18. Arriving around 7 AM on United (Polaris Class) and departing at 12:10 PM on JetStar. I know I have to clear customs and immigration and transfer to another terminal, but I expect that to take about an hour.

Is there an arrival lounge or Star Alliance lounge I can access for a few hours after arrival?

Any suggestions?
Polaris to Jetstar will be a change in travelling style.

No Australian airport has an arrivals lounge. At SYD T1 international arrivals & departures are physically separate. You cannot access the lounges on the departures side.
No pay for access lounges at T2 that I aware of. Maybe some restaurant that take Priority Pass, if you have that.
You will find a place to sit for a few hours.
5 hours between schedules arrival - departure would be tight for a quick train trip to Circular Quay for a coffee, but could be done. 07:30 is peak commuter time.

As above in T3 Qantas have the heritage collection. But did read some where it was going to be closed.
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...tion/global/en

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 31, 19 at 3:19 pm
Old Apr 1, 19, 9:27 pm

Programs: TK Gold
+1 for everything mwenenzi said. I add that there are free showers available at the international terminal but you need to bring your own soap and towel etc. Details are here:

https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/inf...ide-showers-t1

The only ones you will be able to access are here : Shower facilities are available at the general check-in area near check-in counters A and K on the Departures level.

Once you are in arrivals - landside, take the escalators up to the checkin area (departures) and you'll work it out from there. I'm not sure how the transfer buses work between the international and domestic terminals but there is also a train that connects the terminals which I believe is $5.50 aussie.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
FYI, if you haven't been to Sydney before, you have more than enough time to hop the train to Circular Quay and walk around. It's quite pretty!

If you have been to Sydney before, you also do have enough time to leave and go get a nice breakfast somewhere. Like the Grounds for example.
Old Apr 3, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: QF WP
Bear in mind that Jq enforce (I believe at all stations but obviously someone will clarify if iím wrong) maximum of 2 hour check in (ie if your flight is 0930 you canít check in before 0730), which if you have checked baggage can put a bit of a brake on any day tripping (although left luggage facilities are available if you are willing to pay!)
Old Apr 3, 19, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
FYI, if you haven't been to Sydney before, you have more than enough time to hop the train to Circular Quay and walk around. It's quite pretty!

If you have been to Sydney before, you also do have enough time to leave and go get a nice breakfast somewhere. Like the Grounds for example.
Good options. Twenty minutes or so to Circular Quay, so easily doable with five hours.
Old Apr 4, 19, 3:34 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Grounds impossible to get to by public transport from the airport.

$40 round trip Uber fares for breakfast is not really recommended.

The queues there are shocking too.
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller View Post
Grounds impossible to get to by public transport from the airport.

$40 round trip Uber fares for breakfast is not really recommended.

The queues there are shocking too.
It's a 10-15 minute walk from Green Square station.
Old Apr 7, 19, 4:19 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
It's a 10-15 minute walk from Green Square station.
Through an industrial area, for an overseas tourist, not what iíd recommend particularly for a quick trip in and out.

Admittedly, I do find The Grounds a bit overrated so that might colour my views
secondsoprano likes this.
Old Apr 11, 19, 10:22 pm

Programs: TK Gold
5 hours would be enough to get the train to Milsons Point, walk over the main deck of the bridge (great views of the harbour and the Opera House) for some exercise, then train from Circular Quay back to the airport. If you were a bit later in the day you could stop at the Australian Hotel (right at the foot of the steps coming off the bridge) for a great beer and a Kangaroo, Emu or Crocodile pizza.
Old Apr 19, 19, 5:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
We are on the 630am flight from Hobart to Sydney tomorrow landing at 8:15am. Then connecting to BA16 to Singapore at 2:50 pm

Using https://au.dayuse.com/ we were able to book 5 hours at the Ibis Budget (walkable from SYD domestic terminal) for $65AUD.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Just published a blog post on our dayroom layover at Sydney Airport: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/04/30/...-budget-hotel/

Search this Thread