Wiki Posts
Search

Perth/Melbourne or more time in NZ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Perth/Melbourne or more time in NZ?

I have a 12 night trip planned to NZ in November. My itinerary is 2 nights in Christchurch, 3 nights in Queenstown and then 7 nights in Auckland. After, I need to head to Melbourne to catch my flight back to Canada.

With that said, I can now extend my trip by another 9 nights. I've been to Australia many times before but have only spent a few cold and rainy days in Melbourne before. Should I use the extra time to enjoy Melbourne assuming the weather will be decent in November?

I've also never been to the west coast of Australia so I'm thinking of heading to Perth for a few days. The only downside is that flying 4 hours from Auckland to Melbourne and then another 4 hours to Perth seems like a long journey. Is it worth the long trek?

I'm also open to spending more time in NZ but I feel like I'll get a nice overview of the country and extending my stay there would make my budget explode. I'm traveling a lot this year so I have to be careful.

I'm a big city kinda person but I also enjoy nature and beaches.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:03 am

Have you been to Auckland before? If you have and liked it, then I guess 7 days there is your personal preference. If you haven't, I would say 7 days is way way way too long in Auckland. I would spend 2-3 days in Auckland and spend the rest (and maybe some of the extra 9 days) in the South Island or Wellington (which I hear is nice but have never been). You mention you're a big city person, but honestly, the reason to go to NZ is to get away from the big city.

And how about Sydney, since you've only been to Melbourne, or the GBR area?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by calbear2005
Have you been to Auckland before? If you have and liked it, then I guess 7 days there is your personal preference. If you haven't, I would say 7 days is way way way too long in Auckland. I would spend 2-3 days in Auckland and spend the rest (and maybe some of the extra 9 days) in the South Island or Wellington (which I hear is nice but have never been). You mention you're a big city person, but honestly, the reason to go to NZ is to get away from the big city.

And how about Sydney, since you've only been to Melbourne, or the GBR area?
I've been all over Australia aside from the west coast.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mcbg1
I've been all over Australia aside from the west coast.
Gotcha. I interpreted your second paragraph as you've been to Australia many times and each time to Melbourne.

I have no input on Australia, but I would suggest spending a bit more time in the South Island of NZ. Last year, I started out in Te Anau and then over the course of 2 weeks, drove to Queenstown, Wanaka, Franz Josef, Arthur's Pass, and Christchurch, doing 3-6 hour long day hikes 2 out of every 3 days (using the 3rd day to rest). If that's something you're interested in, I could definitely make suggestions.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7 days is far too much in Auckland. More time in the South Island or another NZ city. Wellington, Rotorua?
Air fares MEL PER can be expensive and including the time to/from airport, check-in can take best part of a day, unless you fly at night. And a 2hr time zone difference.

In Melbourne the first week of November is Cup Week - a very busy time

Originally Posted by calbear2005
... spending a bit more time in the South Island of NZ. Last year, I started out in Te Anau and then over the course of 2 weeks, drove to Queenstown, Wanaka, Franz Josef, Arthur's Pass, and Christchurch, doing 3-6 hour long day hikes 2 out of every 3 days (using the 3rd day to rest). If that's something you're interested in, I could definitely make suggestions.
The Waiho Bridge on the road between the glaciers got washed away a few days ago in a torrential rain storm. Will be some time before its rebuilt:- weeks or months. But would expect to be open by November.

Edit 1 (29 March)
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/111...er-consumption
<snip>
But for those in the tourism industry it's more a case of drowning their sorrows, and Taylor estimated his five hotels in the region were down about 700 guests a day, running at 2 per cent occupancy when they would normally be close to full.

Businesses were desperate for a new bailey bridge to open by Thursday as promised, and if the closure was prolonged, they risked having to lay off staff
<snip>
Edit 2 (30 March)
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111...-thought--nzta
Reinstating a bridge over a West Coast river could take twice as long as initially thought, according to new New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) estimates.

NZTA has revised its time frame for replacing a bailey bridge over the Waiho River on State Highway 6, near Franz Josef Glacier, which was destroyed when heavy rain flooded the river on Tuesday.

Pete Connors, NZTA system manager, said the time frame to replace the bridge was now 14 to 17 days, instead of the originally estimate of just over one week. This could take work through until Friday, April 12, ahead of school holidays and Easter
<snip>
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 30, 2019 at 12:19 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I spent a week in Perth. I enjoyed it very much. It is a very much 'outdoors' place.

I spent a day on Rottnest Island riding bikes.
I took a fun all day tour up to Lancelin Dunes and Pinnacles National Park. It was great to get out into the remote part north or Perth along the Indian Ocean.
I spent a Saturday hitting a few brew pubs and eateries in Fremantle.
I spent a Sunday enjoying Kings Park and Subiaco

I was there in early June and the weather was fantastic. Not hot, not cold. Really fun.

I can't tell you whether its worth flying cross continent, but I really had a great time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
when I went to NZ, I flew into Christchurch and promptly drove around the south island for 12 days. Never spent a single night in any major city.

Id focus more on what you are seeking to DO and SEE and not base it on 'cities w intl airports'

I guess that's just me
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
when I went to NZ, I flew into Christchurch and promptly drove around the south island for 12 days. Never spent a single night in any major city.

Id focus more on what you are seeking to DO and SEE and not base it on 'cities w intl airports'

I guess that's just me
I'm not gonna be driving and I'm traveling by myself so I'm limited to staying in cities and going on day trips with organized tours or using public transport. And I am fine with that.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:12 pm

Did bitterprofit's itinerary above sound good to you? If you have 9 extra days I reckon that's just enough. You could get a direct flight AKL to PER and 5 days there would give you enough time to do a day trip to Rottnest Island, a day in Fremantle, a day for Subiaco and Kings Park and 2 days in the city proper. You won't need a car for any of that. I'd then fly back to Melbourne and enjoy a couple of days of Melbourne's notorious Spring weather before flying home.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
There are many, many great organized tours from Queenstown to some of the most beautiful spots in NZ. 3 nights there is not nearly enough (even if you won't be driving), while 7 nights in Auckland sounds boring. I'm sure you can fill it, but Auckland is just nothing special IMO.

As for Australia, I really love the west coast. It's the most beautiful part of Australia for me. However, if you don't have a car, that limits your options quite a bit. You'd have to decide if staying in and around Perth without a car is worth it. You could definitely take the ferry to Rottnest Island and spend a night out there, it is absolutely stunning and you don't need a car there. There are probably day tours you can take to other spots, I've just not looked into it as I've always had a car. But I can highly recommend WA and that is a good time of year to go.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Perth itself reminded me of Canadian cities in being clean & neat and all that. I tried the mussel dish at the Belgian Beer Cafe there and decided it was nowhere near as good as the ones you get at the BBCs in New Zealand. A minor point, I know.

Went around the Margaret River region like it was "Sideways," and learned the hard way at Yallingup that bodysurfing isn't about catching THE biggest wave. Also drove a good distance one day to do the canopy walk at Walpole and see the boulder beaches on the Bight. I knew to fill up on the trip back but hadn't planned on all the kangaroos jumping across the road! No wonder I didn't see many other cars.

So it was an adventure, though I was lucky to get out in one piece.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.