Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Beware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the New Zealand government web site (govt.nz) issues a visa/NZeTA. These other scam-deceptive web sites just send your data to the NZ Govt web site. Some of these sites may have a disclaimer in the fine print.

NZ Government link ---> Check if you need a visitor visa or an NZeTA
NZ Government link ---> Request an NZeTA {as at 05 Aug 2019} Please note that travellers from visa waiver or transit visa waiver countries who are in transit through New Zealand are required to hold an NZeTA.
  • From 1 October 2019, if you are from a visa waiver country you must request an NZeTA before you travel. It costs NZD$9 on our free app, or NZD$12 if completed online.
  • You must also pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). The IVL costs NZD $35 and is paid at the same time as the NZeTA.
NZ Government link --->NZ Traveller Declaration On line or phone app. An option to the paper arrival form.

NZ Government web sites. Note: Check for yourself. The requirements and links may change
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/visitor-visa
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...out-visa/nzeta
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sa/visa-waiver
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sit-passengers Transit passengers

Refer to post 23 below

Wikipedia --> Visa policy of New Zealand This may be accurate nor does it replace official NZ Government information

Other related FT threads
Print Wikipost

NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:19 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tr3k
1. When the application says "transit" - they mean transit in the form of staying airside between the flights? I.e. if I have a long transit (intl. to intl.) and want to get out of the airport (and thus go through immigration) - is this still transit, or is this a visit to NZ?
I think NZ Immigration wise, there is no allowance for you to go landside (c.f. PRC's 144-hour's virtual travel-free "TWOV" visa).

I don't know for sure but I bet you'll stopped at NZ border - the transit ETA only covers boarding at outport but not entry into NZ's borders (or else how is the IVL enforced?).

2. Wrt. APEC cards - does holding one (issued by the US) have any bearing on having to pay an IVL? (It's just that for a 3 hour jot into town I would prefer not to spend an extra $30, if possible).
I think having APEC card with NZL designation negates the need to have ETA

Is the case for AUS https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/a...a-4736608.html
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:24 pm

I am guessing then that US-issued APEC cards (that have no such designations) will not help.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two questions, if anyone knows:
1. When the application says "transit" - they mean transit in the form of staying airside between the flights? I.e. if I have a long transit (intl. to intl.) and want to get out of the airport (and thus go through immigration) - is this still transit, or is this a visit to NZ?

2. Wrt. APEC cards - does holding one (issued by the US) have any bearing on having to pay an IVL? (It's just that for a 3 hour jot into town I would prefer not to spend an extra $30, if possible).
  1. Yep: I to I airside would be considered transit, so the IVL is not payable. Just the NZeTA fee. Go landside for 30 minutes, 3 hours or 30 days or what ever: you pay the IVL fee. Technically there are extra fees to cross the border going in and out, which are included in tickets e.g. USA to NZ or NZ to USA ticket. Crossing the border at egates/desk when you have a I to I ticket, you may get asked for these {NZ passenger service charge - departure NZ$15.89 and others}. People going landside during and International to International transit is not unusual. Please report back if you get charged.
  2. From what I see on the NZ gov web site, APEC means nothing for NZeTA - IVL. {refer to post 100} May be a little easier/quicker for immigration, but for people eligible to use e-gates, will not help much.
    It can take some time to get into/back from the city centre depending on traffic, time of day etc

I am guessing then that US-issued APEC cards (that have no such designations) will not help.
Nope. May be : refer to post 100 below

Do not rely on sites like FT for visa - impartation advice. Seek advise from official sources

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 17, 2019 at 11:30 am
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by percysmith
I think NZ Immigration wise, there is no allowance for you to go landside (c.f. PRC's 144-hour's virtual travel-free "TWOV" visa).

I don't know for sure but I bet you'll stopped at NZ border - the transit ETA only covers boarding at outport but not entry into NZ's borders (or else how is the IVL enforced?).

I think having APEC card with NZL designation negates the need to have ETA

Is the case for AUS https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/a...a-4736608.html
Australia allows APEC cards for personal visa use. NZ seems not.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:46 am

Oh. Not aware of this exception (or for Canadians, until today)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
Australia allows APEC cards for personal visa use. NZ seems not.
I believe PRC and Indonesian nationals were not previously visa-free but acquired visa-free status if they acquired APEC cards with NZL designation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_po...ss_Travel_Card.

They're not going to have to acquire an ETA now (I checked Timatic on this).

If Indonesian and PRC APEC cardholders don't, then why would visa waiver country/territory cardholders like Singapore, Japan or South Korea be subject to ETA when PRC and Indonesian cardholders can enter visa- and ETA-free?

But US and Canadian cardholders don't acquire visa free anywhere merely by acquiring APEC card.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I believe PRC and Indonesian nationals were not previously visa-free but acquired visa-free status if they acquired APEC cards with NZL designation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_po...ss_Travel_Card.

They're not going to have to acquire an ETA now (I checked Timatic on this).

If Indonesian and PRC APEC cardholders don't, then why would visa waiver country/territory cardholders like Singapore, Japan or South Korea be subject to ETA when PRC and Indonesian cardholders can enter visa- and ETA-free?

But US and Canadian cardholders don't acquire visa free anywhere merely by acquiring APEC card.
it is a business travel card. It really depends on how it is interpreted. e.g. Australia immigration is okay for personal use. Russia government disallows it for any personal use.

before NZETA, maybe APEC card holders from certain country are exempted from acquiring a Visa. NZETA is not a Visa per se. it is required for Visa-waiver countries.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:32 am

e.g. Australia immigration is okay for personal use. Russia government disallows it for any personal use.
Thailand yes Japan no (depending on shift, strictly no)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:41 am

I am more interested in avoiding the payment of IVL by holding an APEC card, but sounds like there is not a practical experience available to say whether this is/is not possible.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am more interested in avoiding the payment of IVL by holding an APEC card, but sounds like there is not a practical experience available to say whether this is/is not possible.
NZeTA is not a visa.
Looking again APEC holders may be exempt from IVL. Does not say you have to be travelling for business purposes on the trip. (Or a source of post 94 comment?)

IVL link--> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...and/paying-ivl
Who does not need to pay an IVL

You do not pay an IVL if you:
  • travel to New Zealand on:
    • an Australian or New Zealand passport
    • a passport from many Pacific Island nations
  • are a transit passenger arriving at and leaving from Auckland International Airport
  • have a New Zealand resident visa
  • hold a Business Visitor Visa or APEC business travel card.

There are some other visa holders who do not need to pay the IVL. Use our online tool, Fees, decision times and where to apply, to confirm what applies to you.
NZ Gov links (APEC)
You need to stay airside at AKL to be considered a transit passenger.
percysmith likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 17, 2019 at 11:43 am
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:03 pm

Data point: Applied for NZeTA via app yesterday at noon (NYC time). Still showing as pending 27 hours later.

ETA: Received an approval email 6 minutes after this post. Given it's just after 9am Monday morning in New Zealand guess it's safe to say these applications are reviewed manually. Guess if one is travelling over a weekend they sure better be aware of this new requirement. FYI I'm travelling with friends and I only learned of this requirement from one of them. He found out via email from NZ. I searched my emails and didn't see anything regarding NZeTA from NZ. We both booked our flights back in January.

Last edited by greendx; Nov 17, 2019 at 1:13 pm
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
NZeTA is not a visa.
Looking again APEC holders may be exempt from IVL. Does not say you have to be travelling for business purposes on the trip. (Or a source of post 94 comment?)

NZ Gov links (APEC)
You need to stay airside at AKL to be considered a transit passenger.

How was NZETA? Does APEC card holder need NZETA? I applied it only because it costs NZ$9 and I was in transit AKL.

My passport expires next year. Good to know for future.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:48 pm

I saw those links as well. But when applying for NZeTA, there seems to be no option to specify APEC status and avoid IVL fee.
I emailed the NZ immigration authorities, but not holding my breath for an answer.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
NZeTA is not a visa.

Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:03 pm

I saw those links as well. But when applying for NZeTA, there seems to be no option to specify APEC status and avoid IVL fee.
I emailed the NZ immigration authorities, but not holding my breath for an answer.

I don't know exactly whether APEC business card is allowed for personal use. It is not mentioned. For Australia ETA, it is stated that no ETA with APEC card. I tried to apply Australia ETA, it says I already have one.

However, IVL can be paid separately when entering NZ.

I applied NZeTA without IVL because I won't enter NZ anyway. I can inquire tomorrow(Nov 19th, NZ time) after I arrive AKL.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How was NZETA? Does APEC card holder need NZETA? I applied it only because it costs NZ$9 and I was in transit AKL.

My passport expires next year. Good to know for future.
My reading is that
  • APEC holders need an NZeTA
  • APEC holders do not need an IVL
The exemptions for both are clearly stated.
----> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...to-new-zealand
An NZeTA is not a visa. Is supplemental to visa/visa waiver.
IMHO the NZeTA and especially the IVL are a very political targeted money grab (~slush fund) by the NZ Government.

The APEC will be associated with your passport number. If you did not select the IVL so be it. They may be expecting APEC holders not to apply. (But hope they will to get the $$$$?)
When going through immigration (egates/desk) the system will know if you have a APEC authorisation.

But seek your own advice from official sources

I don't know exactly whether APEC business card is allowed for personal use. It is not mentioned. For Australia ETA, it is stated that no ETA with APEC card. I tried to apply Australia ETA, it says I already have one.

However, IVL can be paid separately when entering NZ.

I applied NZeTA without IVL because I won't enter NZ anyway. I can inquire tomorrow(Nov 19th, NZ time) after I arrive AKL.
OK. That's good. But for an airside transit you may see an immigration officer (just security)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 17, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.