MELBOURNE LAYOVER - Customs? Time? Help!

Old Mar 20, 19, 11:22 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15
Question MELBOURNE LAYOVER - Customs? Time? Help!

I am booking a flight from LAX to SYD. There is a layover in Melbourne of 1.5 hours.

Because Sydney to Melbourne is domestic, I assume I will have to clear customs in Melbourne, before going through security again to continue on to Sydney.

Is this correct? Does 1.5 hours seem too tight? Any idea of the time needed?

TIA!
tragg99 is offline  
Old Mar 20, 19, 11:43 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,210
Originally Posted by tragg99 View Post
I am booking a flight from LAX to SYD. There is a layover in Melbourne of 1.5 hours.

Because Sydney to Melbourne is domestic, I assume I will have to clear customs in Melbourne, before going through security again to continue on to Sydney.

Is this correct? Does 1.5 hours seem too tight? Any idea of the time needed?
So LAX-MEL-SYD. All on QF or VA? (You could stay & see the great city of Melbourne )

If all on ticket 1.5hrs will be plenty.
If all on 1 ticket, even if the LAX flight is late the airline will put you on another flight. MEL SYD is a commuter run with flights every 20-30-45-60 minutes, depending on time of day.

You will clear immigration, customs & biosecurity at MEL.
Then walk 5 minutes, with all your carry-on & checked baggage to QF/VA bag drop. Au domestic security at MEL will take a few minutes.


OP's other Aust thread--->Best Premium Economy LAX to SYD
nancypants likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 12:31 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15
Thank you!! That is super helpful. I will be on 1 Quantus (probably) ticket.

I may indeed end up visiting Melbourne, but I am meeting friends in Sydney. So my trip must begin there!
tragg99 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 12:38 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,210
Originally Posted by tragg99 View Post
Thank you!! That is super helpful. I will be on 1 Quantus (probably) ticket.

I may indeed end up visiting Melbourne, but I am meeting friends in Sydney. So my trip must begin there!
OK.
But check the spelling of QF

Coming out of MEL T2 immigration/customs turn left and up 1 level for QF departures
Coming out of MEL T2 immigration/customs turn right and up 1 level for VA departures

Several airlines fly LAX SYD non stop
nancypants likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:42 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,841
Originally Posted by tragg99 View Post
I will be on 1 Quantus (probably) ticket.
Probably not. But you very well might be on a Qantas ticket.
nancypants, PbodyPhoto and FlitBen like this.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 11:09 am
  #6  
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 12,253
I'm going to move this to our Australia forum, so others looking for similar info may benefit from it.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk
chgoeditor is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 2:04 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,210
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Probably not. But you very well might be on a Qantas ticket.
It seems this trip is not yet working out for tragg99
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
Mwenenzi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread