What should I do in Sydney in the rain?

Old Mar 19, 19, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
What should I do in Sydney in the rain?

I知 going to Australia for the first time and it looks like it will be raining the entire four days I知 in Sydney. I had planned all outdoor activities (Bondi to Coggee walk, ferry to Manly, Blue Mountains) and now I知 gutted that my plans will likely not work. Any ideas on how to spend my short time there? Perhaps some indoor malls or spots you can recommend?
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:56 pm

Programs: QF WP
When are you planning on being here?
Old Mar 20, 19, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
When are you planning on being here?
From ->Any tips for getting an empty row on A380 out of LAX?

Originally Posted by georgina80 View Post
Originally Posted by Aus380 View Post
What is your date of travel?
This Thursday, LAX to Melbourne.
So georgina80 in SYD for the weekend
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 1:10 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Museums are a rainy-day-mainstay. A tour of the Opera House might be fun. Book a high-tea at one of the local establishments. Do a pub crawl. Try the Sea Life Aquarium. See a theatre show.

Or, get out of Sydney. Maybe you can travel to the fringe of the weather system by going to Katoomba, or north/south along the coast. This is a little risky but might pay off, especially if you are desperate for some sunny beach time. Check the forecast very short-in to make sure it makes sense.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
The BoM says partly cloudy with chance of shower this weekend. Looks OK to me.

Sydney Forecast
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by bensyd; Mar 20, 19 at 1:53 am
Old Mar 20, 19, 1:56 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
The BoM says partly cloudy with chance of shower this weekend, most likely as thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Sydney Forecast
yes. I知 not sure how worried I would be about this threatened rain

the only part I would be truly concerned about is the blue mountains, a) because I personally think they池e a bit overrated and b) because they are a bit more weather dependent.

the various walks/ferries around Sydney I would still do, ideally early-ish in the mornings to miss weather. Have some museums and galleries lined up to do when the weather closes in

canberra is good and semi-nearby for lots of museums, important landmarks and galleries, could be an option for a 田ouple of days trip- although the weather there looks to be even worse than Sydney
Old Mar 20, 19, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post

yes. I知 not sure how worried I would be about this threatened rain

the only part I would be truly concerned about is the blue mountains, a) because I personally think they池e a bit overrated and b) because they are a bit more weather dependent.

the various walks/ferries around Sydney I would still do, ideally early-ish in the mornings to miss weather. Have some museums and galleries lined up to do when the weather closes in

canberra is good and semi-nearby for lots of museums, important landmarks and galleries, could be an option for a 田ouple of days trip- although the weather there looks to be even worse than Sydney
Either way, neither Canberra or Sydney looks like it's going to have torrential rain this weekend, like Sydney did last weekend. I was glad to get out!
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
From ->Any tips for getting an empty row on A380 out of LAX?

So georgina80 in SYD for the weekend
Nope, I知 in Melbourne this weekend before heading to Sydney for four days next week. The weather forecast has changed since I posted last night, and now looking more to be cloudy days instead of rain. I think I値l scrap the Blue Mountains and keep the rest. Any highly recommended shopping malls I can do for a day?
Old Mar 20, 19, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, I知 in Melbourne this weekend before heading to Sydney for four days next week. The weather forecast has changed since I posted last night, and now looking more to be cloudy days instead of rain. I think I値l scrap the Blue Mountains and keep the rest. Any highly recommended shopping malls I can do for a day?
The QVB, The Strand Arcade and I guess Westfield on Pitt St Mall. The first two are very nice the last is just an upmarket mall that you'd encounter the world over.
Old Mar 20, 19, 5:23 pm

Just FYI the chance of rain for today has turned into actual rain.
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz View Post
Just FYI the chance of rain for today has turned into actual rain.
What痴 the rain like in Sydney? Is it usually pretty heavy and constant? Can I get away with a sweater or will I need to pack an actual raincoat?
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What痴 the rain like in Sydney?
Is it usually pretty heavy and constant?
Can I get away with a sweater or will I need to pack an actual raincoat?
Wet
Light plastic rain coat/jacket and/or umbrella will be OK
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 21, 19, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What’s the rain like in Sydney? Is it usually pretty heavy and constant? Can I get away with a sweater or will I need to pack an actual raincoat?
You get either days of torrential rain or you get brief showers. London style endless drizzle is pretty uncommon. The weather forecast looks like it'll be the brief shower variety, so probably no need for a raincoat.
Old Mar 21, 19, 4:55 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
What痴 the rain like in Sydney? ...
I remember one trip to Sydney when rain was torrential as in could barely see other side of the street and raindrops bouncing off sidewalk waist high -- get really drenched from top to bottom, plus knee-deep flooding in some places where drains could not keep up. But that is rare, though there was golf-ball sized hail and severe weather last Friday (bad enough to shut the airport down for a while). 90% of the time weather is beautiful and ideal for outdoor activities but can be pretty brutal with high-energy storms.

Sydney does have some great indoor activities (mentioned above). Paddy's market can be fun and is weather tight though its a mixture of trash merchandise with a few gems.
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
I remember one trip to Sydney when rain was torrential as in could barely see other side of the street and raindrops bouncing off sidewalk waist high -- get really drenched from top to bottom, plus knee-deep flooding in some places where drains could not keep up. But that is rare, though there was golf-ball sized hail and severe weather last Friday (bad enough to shut the airport down for a while). 90% of the time weather is beautiful and ideal for outdoor activities but can be pretty brutal with high-energy storms.

Sydney does have some great indoor activities (mentioned above). Paddy's market can be fun and is weather tight though its a mixture of trash merchandise with a few gems.
Yikes. So I will be in town Tuesday to Friday this upcoming week. Weather reports showing three days of rain and one day of clouds. On the cloudy day, I plan to squeeze in all of my outdoorsy things: Bondi-Cogee walk, opera house, botanical gardens and even the ferry to Manly if I can manage. That gives me three days to wing things. This shall be interesting... you never know, weather forecast could change again I suppose.

Search this Thread