FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   SYD to apartment rental (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1958904-syd-apartment-rental.html)

cindep Mar 2, 2019 3:51 am

SYD to apartment rental

We (4 adults with 6-8 pieces of large luggage) need transportation from SYD to our Airbnb rental on Shelley Street. What is the most cost effective way for a point to point situation like this? Get a taxi at the airport? Prearrange with a limo company? We are flying from the US on Virgin.

Also, we will need transportation from Shelley Street to OPT. Suggestions please?

CPMaverick Mar 2, 2019 4:03 am

I would just hire a taxi with that amount of luggage. You will need a 'Maxi-Taxi' with 4 people + luggage. This should not be difficult and the taxi rank will sort it out for you.

I don't think a shuttle service would save much money, most charge per person, and a limo service is probably more expensive too.

I don't know what or where OPT is, sorry.

nancypants Mar 2, 2019 4:43 am

Overseas passenger terminal?? Maybe? Cruising?

will be the same suggestions for transport there I suspect

docbert Mar 2, 2019 2:15 pm

Agree with the suggestions above. The taxi rank at SYD is staffed, and they will find you something that works.

From Shelly St to the Overseas Passenger Terminal you'll likely need to call for a taxi in order to get one you'll fit it (taxi's can generally just be flagged down, but the larger ones are much harder to find on the street). UberXL might be an option, or just take 2 separate taxi's/Ubers.

cindep Mar 2, 2019 3:46 pm

Thank you!!

Thank you everyone for your input. Taxi it shall be. And yes, we are cruising as well. It looks like our ship will be the only one in port, so it shouldn’t be too hard to Uber or call a taxi.
Another quick thing, I assume all taxis take credit cards? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Mwenenzi Mar 2, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by cindep (Post 30840166)
Another quick thing, I assume all taxis take credit cards?

Yes. But they have an add on fee.
Any Australian credit card vendor can legally add a small % fee (does surprise some people from USA). Some do and some do not.
Credit cards are widely accepted in Australia. Some places will not take Amex or have a minimum charge (cash only if less than the minimum)

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki

bensyd Mar 2, 2019 6:08 pm

The 13Cabs app is pretty good for arranging taxi transport. I actually prefer using it to using Uber these days. Uber's drivers have really gotten bad.

Nugget_Oz Mar 3, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30840292)
Yes. But they have an add on fee.
Any Australian credit card vendor can legally add a small % fee (does surprise some people from USA). Some do and some do not.
Credit cards are widely accepted in Australia. Some places will not take Amex or have a minimum charge (cash only if less than the minimum)

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki

On the credit card the taxis will also charge a network fee if they use the cabcharge terminal. If they use ingogo there is no separate charge.