FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   AKL Lounge for *A business traveller (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1956308-akl-lounge-business-traveller.html)

chmielko Feb 14, 2019 11:38 am

AKL Lounge for *A business traveller

Hi there,

we are flying to AKL with Air China over the Christmas period.

We will be dropping off our campervan pretty early at AKL and our flight back does not leave until 8PM local time - is there a lounge we can hang out for several hours? Will be travelling 'R' class, and I have FTL status (don't think that matters on the other side of the globe though).

Thanks!
Pawel

Mwenenzi Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am

Originally Posted by chmielko (Post 30778596)
We are flying to AKL with Air China over the Christmas period.

We will be dropping off our campervan pretty early at AKL and our flight back does not leave until 8PM local time - is there a lounge we can hang out for several hours? Will be travelling 'R' class, and I have FTL status (don't think that matters on the other side of the globe though).

You may not be able to check-in until 3 hrs before the flight. Only then will you be able to go airside (international) to the lounges

Is easy to take the Skybus into the city for a few hours
Web site-->https://www.skybus.co.nz/

totti Feb 14, 2019 12:01 pm

I moved this thread to the Oceania Forum for the OP the get more replies.

Have a nice day,
totti
co-moderator M&M forum

chmielko Feb 15, 2019 2:24 am

Hi thanks for valuable tips.

Any insight as to the access rules to the lounges @AKL? Is business class with *A sufficient?

We will take the skybus, but want to check out the perks that come with traveling business class as well :)

ajeleonard Feb 15, 2019 2:51 am

Originally Posted by chmielko (Post 30781188)
Hi thanks for valuable tips.

Any insight as to the access rules to the lounges @AKL? Is business class with *A sufficient?

We will take the skybus, but want to check out the perks that come with traveling business class as well :)

Normal Star access rules apply, any Star business class can access any Star operated lounge. Obviously you have to check in first to be able to get to the lounge.

Mwenenzi Feb 15, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 30781245)
Normal Star access rules apply, any Star business class can access any Star operated lounge. Obviously you have to check in first to be able to get to the lounge.

The lounges are airside after security & emigration controls. Once airside you cannot exit back to landside.
The (poor) AKL airport web site does not list the airline lounges:- only advertises their own (pay for entrance) Strata lounge

chmielko Feb 19, 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30782787)
The lounges are airside after security & emigration controls. Once airside you cannot exit back to landside.
The (poor) AKL airport web site does not list the airline lounges:- only advertises their own (pay for entrance) Strata lounge

Thank you for your detailed answer! I noticed that 'other' lounges are somewhat underrepresented there...

TPJ Feb 19, 2019 11:17 am

The only lounge you can access is the Air NZ zoo (oooops lounge). The good thing is that CA leaves before the evening NZ departure bank, so you should still be able to find free seats. Check a respective thread in NZ forum. Check in opens some 3 hours prior to departure.

NZbutterfly Feb 22, 2019 11:29 am

If you like wine you could go to Villa Maria estate close by. There's butterfly creek for mini golf.

Otherwise Novotel is at the international airport and hanging out in their restaurant with decent food and some nice cocktails/mocktails is a good way to pass the time. They will hold your bags for you prior to check-in.

Skybus into the city is otherwise good for wandering around.