Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney or Melbourne?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Annalisa12

i never get the fascination of the GOR
Likewise. I did it in early November (supposedly not peak season) and while the scenery was beautiful, it wasn’t a patch on Jervis bay etc which we’d visited in August. The constant stream of incredibly slow tourists doing things like stopping in the middle of the road to take photos (in totally inappropriate places like blind bends) was extremely draining

i went to my mother in law’s house a day early to get away from it!!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
This really is horses for courses. It depends on what you want.

You have indicated you like scenic views, nature and good food. In this case, I should in all conscience recommend the Great Ocean Road, which ticks every single box.

However, you only have 3 days, which is nowhere near enough. Given your interests, I would recommend leaving this for another trip when you have enough time to properly enjoy it. Rushing through it in 3 days would be a mistake.

Sydney is a nice city and a city break there is a great introduction to Australia for a first timer. The views over the harbour are great, the food is good, and there are plenty of open green spaces.

One tip, though. If you're into beaches,forget Bondi and head for Manly. It's a short, scenic ferry ride away, will be less crowded, and the food is better.

Source: lived 14 years in Melbourne and visited Sydney many times.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:21 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Melbourne is generally somewhat cheaper in terms of hotel rates, meal costs, etc. It also seems more real to me, with fewer tourists. Still, Sydney is iconic.

Three days is not enough time for either one.
I hate to say this but I'm one of those people that manages to pack and do a WHOLE lot in 3 days. I'm forever scared from childhood trips that lasted 2 weeks. For me I know relatively quickly if I ever want to visit a place again or if I'm just done with it. But I have my Google Maps and hit the ground running and start seeing the things that interest me the most. I should do better at writing up trip reports.

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
This really is horses for courses. It depends on what you want.

You have indicated you like scenic views, nature and good food. In this case, I should in all conscience recommend the Great Ocean Road, which ticks every single box.

However, you only have 3 days, which is nowhere near enough. Given your interests, I would recommend leaving this for another trip when you have enough time to properly enjoy it. Rushing through it in 3 days would be a mistake.

Sydney is a nice city and a city break there is a great introduction to Australia for a first timer. The views over the harbour are great, the food is good, and there are plenty of open green spaces.

One tip, though. If you're into beaches,forget Bondi and head for Manly. It's a short, scenic ferry ride away, will be less crowded, and the food is better.

Source: lived 14 years in Melbourne and visited Sydney many times.
Funny you say this, nothing about the pictures of Bondi beach makes it look remotely great to me. To me the best beaches in the world are in Bermuda. Nice secluded, pink sand and you have them all to yourself in many instances. Thanks for the tip!
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by skyccord

Funny you say this, nothing about the pictures of Bondi beach makes it look remotely great to me. To me the best beaches in the world are in Bermuda. Nice secluded, pink sand and you have them all to yourself in many instances. Thanks for the tip!
Bondi is rubbish. I have no idea why it became so "iconic". The harbour beaches are much prettier (eg Nielsen Park), imo. For ocean beaches the ones north of the harbour are nicer than those south.
CPMaverick and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMOA

While I’m absolutely against the lockout laws let’s not forget they only cover a small part of the city which is more the business area rather than the best areas for food/drinks. Also if you’re struggling for good small bars in Sydney you either haven’t visited for some time or you haven’t done your research as Sydney really is quite good in that space these days.
Agree. If anything the lockout laws have fostered the proliferation of small bars because they have less draconian licensing.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:57 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I hate to say this but I'm one of those people that manages to pack and do a WHOLE lot in 3 days....
Visit Sydney first and you can see most of its highlights in 3 days ... great tourist city. Then you will appreciate Melbourne more on your next visit
As for Bondi, while the beach is a mass of people (up to 100,000 on a good day), you can have a great cheap lunch with a view at the RSL at the north end of Bondi beach or a much more expensive meal at Icebergs. Both have an iconic view and maybe from that perspective you will see why Bondi is so famous and special. For actually getting in the water I too prefer Manly or even Coogee if you must be near Bondi (btw. a nice short walk from Bondi to Coogee beach along the ocean). If you like nature, the North Head and former Quanrantine station (now a very funky hotel) is astonishing, wilderness in the city.
Actuallly a fun day is to ride a dozen different ferry routes, quite fascinating. At a minimum take the ferry to Rose Bay/Double Bay and see all those $10-100 million dollar houses (at least last month, may be a few million cheaper this month).
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by IMOA
While I’m absolutely against the lockout laws let’s not forget they only cover a small part of the city which is more the business area rather than the best areas for food/drinks. Also if you’re struggling for good small bars in Sydney you either haven’t visited for some time or you haven’t done your research as Sydney really is quite good in that space these days. If you are going to be in Sydney and looking for suggestions post up what you like and I’m sure a few of us can give some suggestions that would pleasantly surprise you.
Sydney has plenty of good small bars, in certain areas, if you know where to find them. Yes I am not a local Sydneysider but that gives me an even better appreciation of what visitors experience.

Melbourne has these type of establishments on every corner. For a tourist, it makes a big difference.

All told, I do agree with others that for 3 days, Sydney is probably a better choice, as there are many obvious things to do that fill up 3 days.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by bensyd
Bondi is rubbish. I have no idea why it became so "iconic". The harbour beaches are much prettier (eg Nielsen Park), imo. For ocean beaches the ones north of the harbour are nicer than those south.
Probably boobs made it so iconic.

It doesn't do anything for me. To crowded and parking is a nightmare.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I prefer scenic views and a little more nature over the city but love great dining options. Thoughts?
Tasmania. Scenic, more nature over city, good restaurants.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Probably boobs made it so iconic.

It doesn't do anything for me. To crowded and parking is a nightmare.
Plenty of white pointers anywhere. Although this late in the season they're not so white. White as I've explained to bensyd's female friend is good. Tan lines rock!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I agree Sydney is good for a quick trip as you can see a lot in a short period of time. Personally overall I'm more of a Melbourne fan though.
Cheers
Howie
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:51 am
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Just got back from my 3 day weekend and did a TON or so it felt like.

Day 1. Walk to the bridge and took shots of the opera house/harbour. Walked to the Governors House. Took an inside tour. Toured the gardens. Had lunch at a pub @ the Rocks. Walked around the Rocks some. Went to dinner then hit the streets in Bondi Junction for some night life.

Day 2. Went to Bondi Beach. Did the Coastal Walk to Coogee. Had lunch at the Pavilion. Got on the bus and headed to the Ferry. Took the ferry to Manly. Went to the beach and walked up to Shelly Beach and did some snorkeling. Headed back after sunset to catch everything lit up at night opera house and bridge. Went out again for some night life.

Day 3. Took a tour to Blue Mountains. Went to the waterfalls. Swam in the waterfalls. Had a BBQ lunch. Went to a lake/river. Went to see some wild kangaroos. Got a Thai massage. Walked the CBD and went to dinner.

Day 4 flew home.
Mwenenzi and CPMaverick like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:24 pm

Sounds like a great trip, great mix of things, glad you had such a good time.

Except .... nightlife? In Bondi Junction??! Are you sure you didn't get off two stops earlier and spend the night in Kings Cross?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:16 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Uber driver suggested "The Junction". That's where I went.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I live in Melbourne and I tell this to all my overseas friends: if visiting for a few days, to to Sydney. If you have 2 weeks, go to Melbourne.

Sydney is a place to SEE and it's beautiful, while Melbourne is a feeling to be had (the alleys, rooftops, all the spots that are completely different from each other).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.