Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney or Melbourne?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:24 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Sydney or Melbourne?

Either one 3 days on the ground but 4 nights starting at 8am.

First time in the country. Really leaning towards Melbourne because of the Great Ocean Road drive.

I prefer scenic views and a little more nature over the city but love great dining options.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Be prepared for some opinions to be presented, MEL and SYD have quite a rivalry.

First the 'pros' for Sydney. Sydney has more 'wow' factor IMO, the harbour is quite the iconic Australian sight. Sydney has better intra-city beaches. You can take nice ferry rides. You can take a train from the airport to the city.

Melbourne has a better restaurant scene, no doubt. It's a more interesting city to get to know, lots of hidden gems and surprises. Better coffee. It's a nice city just to be in. I think Melbourne is 'prettier' than Sydney on average, with loads of parks, etc. But it doesn't have a major attraction that is the equivalent of Sydney Harbour.

Outside the city, Melbourne has Phillip Island, the GOR, Yarra Valley, and the Australian Alps. Sydney has Hunter Valley and the Blue Mountains. Respectively, I think Melbourne wins here.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF WP
Do the grand pacific drive instead?

personally I don’t care for either city so don’t have a horse in this race
jridge likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:38 pm

I love Melbourne but Sydney wins hands down. Sure you can quibble over who has better coffee and fine dining but in the end nothing trumps the Harbour. For your nature fix you can takes ferries and bushwalks around the Harbour or the beaches (check out the Spit to Many walk, and Bondi to Bronte). Hunter Valley and Blue Mountains are also options.

(Also, weather.)
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When are you planning on coming?

Sydney is good for the first time visitor to Oz, provided you are within ½ mile of the water. Goes downhill fast after that distance.

Getting out of the city (~100 miles) Melbourne, Victoria has far more to offer as above. The GOR publicity/propaganda machine works well

Sydney has more rainy days.

Originally Posted by nancypants
Personally I don’t care for either city so don’t have a horse in this race
The Melbourne Cup (Cup week) is a far better horse race than the Sydney Cup
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by nancypants
personally I don’t care for either city
+1
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Sydney has the harbour and the Blue Mountains if you want nature, but Grand Pacific Drive is nothing on the GOR . The differences in dining and coffee are massively overstated by our southern brothers. About the only thing Melbourne has a real edge over Sydney in is live music.
secondsoprano likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by bensyd
The differences in dining and coffee are massively overstated by our southern brothers. About the only thing Melbourne has a real edge over Sydney in is live music.
I think the Melbourne dining scene is properly rated above Sydney. But both cities offer enough great dining to fill a short trip, so it is probably overrated for tourists or short stays.

One thing that is painfully annoying about Sydney is the lockout laws and lack of quality small drinking venues. Not for everyone, but even as I get older I still want to grab a late drink here and there.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:57 am
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
When are you planning on coming?

Sydney is good for the first time visitor to Oz, provided you are within ½ mile of the water. Goes downhill fast after that distance.

Getting out of the city (~100 miles) Melbourne, Victoria has far more to offer as above. The GOR publicity/propaganda machine works well

Sydney has more rainy days.

The Melbourne Cup (Cup week) is a far better horse race than the Sydney Cup
I'm coming this weekend. It is my first visit. I think I am just going to default to Sydney even though I feel it should probably be Melbourne. You all have till 11pm to convince me otherwise! (24 hour window where I can cancel my ticket). I'm going to be flying out of here on Thursday. Get there Saturday at 8am. Leaving Tuesday at 11:20a.m. Pricing was the same for both flights about $720. Great pricing. I'll leave Melbourne for the next trip and make it all about the drive.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I think the Melbourne dining scene is properly rated above Sydney. But both cities offer enough great dining to fill a short trip, so it is probably overrated for tourists or short stays.

One thing that is painfully annoying about Sydney is the lockout laws and lack of quality small drinking venues. Not for everyone, but even as I get older I still want to grab a late drink here and there.
While I’m absolutely against the lockout laws let’s not forget they only cover a small part of the city which is more the business area rather than the best areas for food/drinks. Also if you’re struggling for good small bars in Sydney you either haven’t visited for some time or you haven’t done your research as Sydney really is quite good in that space these days. If you are going to be in Sydney and looking for suggestions post up what you like and I’m sure a few of us can give some suggestions that would pleasantly surprise you.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Melbourne is generally somewhat cheaper in terms of hotel rates, meal costs, etc. It also seems more real to me, with fewer tourists. Still, Sydney is iconic.

Three days is not enough time for either one.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skyccord
I'm coming this weekend. It is my first visit. I think I am just going to default to Sydney even though I feel it should probably be Melbourne. You all have till 11pm to convince me otherwise! (24 hour window where I can cancel my ticket). I'm going to be flying out of here on Thursday. Get there Saturday at 8am. Leaving Tuesday at 11:20a.m. Pricing was the same for both flights about $720. Great pricing. I'll leave Melbourne for the next trip and make it all about the drive.
For a first visit to Australia Sydney will be good. Easy to spend few days around the city & harbour. Get an Opal public transport ticket at the airport. Look at post 6 in the Oz Fest thread.

Hope you have the ETA sorted out. Au Government web site link --> Australian Electronic Travel Authority AUD$20. For passports holders from Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR PRC), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and United States. Beware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 4, 2019 at 1:35 pm Reason: added post 6 link
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Melbourne is generally somewhat cheaper in terms of hotel rates, meal costs, etc. It also seems more real to me, with fewer tourists. Still, Sydney is iconic.

Three days is not enough time for either one.
Second this.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by secondsoprano
I love Melbourne but Sydney wins hands down. Sure you can quibble over who has better coffee and fine dining but in the end nothing trumps the Harbour. For your nature fix you can takes ferries and bushwalks around the Harbour or the beaches (check out the Spit to Many walk, and Bondi to Bronte). Hunter Valley and Blue Mountains are also options.

(Also, weather.)
As an ex Melburnian living in Syd I agree. Huge wow factor in Syd. I'd choose syd.

i never get the fascination of the GOR
andrejc77 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Not even close, go Sydney. I find only Australians seem to be impressed by Melbourne. For Americans, it's a smaller San Francisco with mildly better weather, somewhat fewer homeless, and no pretty bay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.