Award help!

Old Jan 27, 19, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Award help!

I'm trying to book biz class for 1 person to/from Oceania (ideally into AKL and back from SYD). Unfortunately, dates are firmly set (peak travel times, around Christmas 2019), but routing can be flexible. Willing to position anywhere in the US, route through Asia (except for China), etc. Hours of research shows only waitlist availability, at best. Two questions for the sages:

(1) thoughts on creative routing options I may have missed? I thought I hit them all, even trying bizarre things like Santiago, Chile and Hawaii to Fiji, but maybe there's something I missed. If I can get "close enough" would be fine with economy for a few hours.

(2) Is there a point in investing in an EF subscription? Not willing to wait until the last minute to book. Is anything likely to open up between now and T minus 2 months of travel?

Sorry for the detailed post, I appreciate the help!
Old Jan 27, 19, 12:59 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Who are your miles with that you hope to use?
Old Jan 27, 19, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vgutkovsky View Post
I'm trying to book biz class for 1 person to/from Oceania (ideally into AKL and back from SYD). Unfortunately, dates are firmly set (peak travel times, around Christmas 2019), but routing can be flexible. Willing to position anywhere in the US, route through Asia (except for China), etc. Hours of research shows only waitlist availability, at best.
USA - Aust/NZ business class awards are amongst the hardest to get. Many threads on this topic, At a peak times even harder. Fixed dates (a cruise?) harder again.

Look for one ways on different airlines and/or routes. Look at SFO, LAX, YVR, DFW, ORD and BNE, SYD, MEL, AKL. WLG & CHC are also served by international airlines. Aus<--->NZ flights are frequent and from many airports, so no need to be into NZ and out of Australia.

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia
  • American Airlines AA (LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
  • Air Canada AC (YVR – SYD BNE MEL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO ORD IAH YVR via AKL) [Star Alliance]
  • Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX via Tahiti. Last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
  • Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
  • Fiji Airways FJ (LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL ADL via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner)
  • Hawaiian HA (HNL – BNE SYD) (AA & VA partner)
  • Jetstar JQ (HNL – BNE SYD MEL)
  • Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK(via LAX) DFW HNL YVR*– SYD; LAX-BNE; LAX SFO-MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) {* seasonal}
  • United UA (LAX-MEL, LAX SFO IAH– SYD) (SFO-MEL from 20 Oct 2019)[Star Alliance]
  • Virgin Australia VA (LAX – BNE SYD MEL) (codeshares with AC*) (Delta & AC* partner) [*= some routes in 2017-18 link
  • and others via Asia & Middle East

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from New Zealand are (not from all airports to all airports)
Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews
vgutkovsky likes this.
Old Jan 27, 19, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jridge View Post
Who are your miles with that you hope to use?
Transferable, preferably MR or Capital One. UR if no other choice.
Old Jan 27, 19, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

@Mwenenzi, you're amazing, thank you for the detailed reply! There are indeed a couple ideas on your list I had overlooked.
Old Jan 27, 19, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vgutkovsky View Post
Transferable, preferably MR or Capital One. UR if no other choice.
That makes it harder as another step in the process to move points from MR, UR or Capital One to a ffp. With the time delay into a ffp any award seat you see may be gone.

Be aware Air NZ releases very few awards to ff partners. Very occasionally at 60 - 90 days, but often/usually nothing

Credit card transfer links
Samples
LAX AKL https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=LAX&t...=1&c=j&s=1&p=0
SYD SFO https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=SYD&t...=1&c=j&s=1&p=0

Search this Thread