French Polynesia and Families

Old Jan 21, 19, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
French Polynesia and Families

Hi All....distant planning, but I am wondering how suitable the FP islands are for families with young children? I am looking at 2020 for such a trip, our kids would be 10 and 7 at that time. I realize long flights, etc but our kids have always been great flyers and besides being tired from some jet lag they'd do fine. I also realize this locale is expensive....but I would be using a nice batch of United miles for the flights (should have enough to cover United Y) and have Hilton/IHG points and Certificates for hotels. Which of the islands would suit us, and which are more oriented toward the honeymoon/couples scene that would give us stink eye if we showed up? Thx!
Old Jan 22, 19, 3:21 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Perhaps consider Fiji, which is maybe the most kid friendly place on earth ... their culture values young children and all your hotel staff will go out of their way to play with kids. Quite cheap compared to FP but can't get there on UA miles Within FP Moorea is charming and cheaper than Tahiti (and only 19km away so 30 min by ferry).
Old Jan 22, 19, 3:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't forget that F&B charges and other resort expenses on isolated islands can be huge, especially for a family of four. You might want to consider booking at hotel(s) where you can walk to local restaurants or alternatively budget lots of money for meals on property.
Old Jan 24, 19, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Thanks folks both those destinations are great ideas.....
Old Jan 24, 19, 7:20 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The Cook Islands (Rarotonga) might be a good option, especially with UA miles, as partner Air NZ flies there. Only 1 flight a week from LAX though I believe, so availability might be a challenge.

The Cooks are less lux than FP, but a great Pacific Island destination. For a more authentic island experience, take a side trip from RAR to Atiu or Atuitaki.
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, UAL 1K, SWA A-Preferred/ Companion, Alaska 75K (matched), Delta Silver (matched)
Friends did Cook islands with three kids, your ages, and loved it, want to go back! We are doing FP on a chartered catamaran with 5 kids 7-14. Yes, good for families who like the water. What's not to love? No fortnite, just fish and swimming and rays and shark feeding! Cost is a personal consideration. Depends on who you have your miles with. United made it easy for us to choose PPT. Kids 11 and under fly free with a paid adult (special fare class) on air tahiti nui.
Old Jun 4, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, UAL 1K, SWA A-Preferred/ Companion, Alaska 75K (matched), Delta Silver (matched)
One more thing. We are doing a few days in moorea, waiting for the flight back. We are staying at the Manava Beach Resort. Review say it's not for honeymooners because there are so many kids. Perfect for us. And, kids 14 and under eat free. We booked a garden view duplex with a kitchenette and plan on eating at the food trucks or various pizza places. But, it's nice that you can get a break on the resort prices when feeling a little less-adventurous. https://www.manavamoorearesort.com/en/accomodation/

Search this Thread