Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me spend a few days in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattya9
As for the Blue Mountains is there anywhere in particular we should visit and whats the easiest way to get there? Any other tips for a first timer visiting the city are welcomed too! Thanks!

OPS
For the Blue Mountain you could get an organised bus tour (google) or a do it your self trip
Look at tom911's post here -->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26741020-post46.html
SYDNEY day trips out of the city
Originally Posted by tom911
I went up on the train two weeks ago to Katoomba and walked to Three Sisters, which I'd guess is probably about a 2 mile walk from the train station. There were fires burning on the valley floor from vegetation control, and it was actually pretty cold in the shade, so I decided not to go hiking this time up. I have hiked below a couple times and done the railway up from the valley floor before.

There was some type of local tourist bus service that would probably work if you want to get more sights in. If you can find that schedule on-line, and it works for you, it might be an option to consider.

If you get an Opal transit card in Sydney, it's something like $US4 one way from Sydney to Katoomba after 0900, or a few dollars more before 0900. Going to be hard to beat that price with a rental car. Also, the RSL there has a very good lunch menu - I had the roast of the day (lamb, but think I could have picked from other options, too).

I have photos below in the Sydney gallery which is currently on the front page.

tom911 has several trip reports on his (frequent) trips to Australia
mattya9 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Gonna hop on this bandwagon! My wife and I will be in Sydney for 4 days in May and will be staying at the Hilton in/near Circular Quay. We were planning to do the hop on/hop off bus tour to see the city and get around town. We were also looking to do a day trip to the Blue Mountains... As for the Blue Mountains is there anywhere in particular we should visit and whats the easiest way to get there?
Hilton is almost directly above Town Hall railway station and more central to the CBD - probably 1km to Circular Quay but still a good choice).

For a 4-day trip the hop-on hop-off bus is decent but I'd supplement it with a Ferry Ride to Manly.
Big Bus is the main company and has a city and beaches route. I'd probably be inclined to do the city route over 1-day.

For beaches go DYI, particularly if you like a walk. Train to Bondi Junction, bus to Bronte Beach - take the cliffwalk to Bondi Beach, maybe lunch at Icebergs or the Bondi Beach RSL. Bus to Watson's Bay check out the Gap, South Head, hotel then ferry back to Circular Quay.

Per above Blue Mountains is fairly easy by public transport and centred around Katoomba Station.

For restaurants/ bars an indication of likes and prices helps. Sydney has a lot of choices. In particular seafood and Asian foodo is outstanding but there is a huge amount of choice.
mattya9 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by moa999
Hilton is almost directly above Town Hall railway station and more central to the CBD - probably 1km to Circular Quay but still a good choice).

For a 4-day trip the hop-on hop-off bus is decent but I'd supplement it with a Ferry Ride to Manly.
Big Bus is the main company and has a city and beaches route. I'd probably be inclined to do the city route over 1-day.

For beaches go DYI, particularly if you like a walk. Train to Bondi Junction, bus to Bronte Beach - take the cliffwalk to Bondi Beach, maybe lunch at Icebergs or the Bondi Beach RSL. Bus to Watson's Bay check out the Gap, South Head, hotel then ferry back to Circular Quay.

Per above Blue Mountains is fairly easy by public transport and centred around Katoomba Station.

For restaurants/ bars an indication of likes and prices helps. Sydney has a lot of choices. In particular seafood and Asian foodo is outstanding but there is a huge amount of choice.
Great information! For bars and restaurants nothing too crazy expensive. We might do one night having a nice/fancy dinner but that would be it. It appears the train to the Blue Mountains/Katoomba is fairly easy and cheap (as long as you don't mind the time to get there and back). Thank you for the info!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:53 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Great information! For bars and restaurants nothing too crazy expensive. ...
There is an RSL at north end of Bondi Beach (whle Icebergs is south side), and you can have lunch there with great view for 1/4 the price (not gourmet but RSL food is hearty and good). For a splurge the rooftop bar in Shangri-la hotel has great view and pretty good drinks/snacks.
Tuppe and mattya9 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TeddyR
The most popular route is direct to Manly. There are fast and slow boats. If you feel like outdoor activity, Manly has kayaking etc on protected waters, an ocean surf beach, and also a protected ocean-side beach (Shelly Beach) where people do snorkeling etc. You are no more than seven miles from central Sydney but you feel like you've been somewhere. This jaunt will tick off some major sights, harbour, ferry and beach in half a day if you want. (Assuming the beach is on your list.) If you go to Manly, don't bother with a trip to Bondi Beach. Unless it's to do something else like the Bondi to Bronte Coastal Walk.
The Manly to Spit Bridge walk is very nice, and from Spit Bridge you can take the public bus back to Manly or towards the CBD.
https://www.sydney.com/things-to-do/...it-bridge-walk
Tuppe and mattya9 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: QF WP
Sorry to bump a thread, seemed better than starting a new one

i have 24 hours in Sydney in December, based at the Holiday Inn at the airport, have obviously done most of the obvious stuff in Sydney (manly, Bondi coastal walk, opera house and the like, cockatoo island, the Australian museum and the art gallery (art gallery of New South Wales I think- the one with a big aboriginal art exhibit downstairs).

does anyone have any suggestions of hidden gems or otherwise to drop in on?

edit to add: I’m sort of looking at spending some time in Newtown looking at street art- not sure if that is something worthwhile? I’ll be in Melbourne the week before so could be a pale imitation?

Last edited by nancypants; Nov 23, 2019 at 9:45 pm
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:09 am

Newtown/King Street is a great area to wander, have a few drinks, have some food and generally poke about. Mary's, Continental Deli, Bella Bruta, Courthouse, Bank, Jacoby's, Earls, Rising Sun, Belly Bao, Black star, Campos etc, lots to see in the area and fits the 'hidden gems' brief very well imo.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:46 pm

Don't know if this is useful . I loved walking the bridge back towards the city - just get the train to the North end and walk back Great views , and good exercise On the footpath side at the South end is the Pylon Lookout - no lifts , but stunning views of the city and bridge , no problem taking pics - unlike the bridge climb I believe . Glorious way to spend a couple of hours , had a beer in the Rocks when I got back..
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:27 pm

The way we do that is to have a late lunch at the kirribilli hotel, have a couple of beers out the back in the beer garden, walk across the bridge around 5PM and then go to the rooftop at the Glenmore to watch the sun set and the city lights come up. Wonderful way to spend an afternoon.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: QF Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants
I’m sort of looking at spending some time in Newtown looking at street art- not sure if that is something worthwhile? I’ll be in Melbourne the week before so could be a pale imitation?
The street art in Melbourne is great, but it's also fantastic in Newtown. I don't think you'll be disappointed, and it will be worthwhile.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by IMOA
The way we do that is to have a late lunch at the kirribilli hotel, have a couple of beers out the back in the beer garden, walk across the bridge around 5PM and then go to the rooftop at the Glenmore to watch the sun set and the city lights come up. Wonderful way to spend an afternoon.
You could also add in a visit to Wendy Whitely's Secret Garden at Lavender Bay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.