Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me spend a few days in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: RFC
Decent quality, central, and reasonable value for money hotel downtown in Sydney? Travelodge, IMO.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I think most serviced apartments can store your luggage at their office. You can call them to check. The apartments I recommended at McMahon's Point stored my luggage for me, no issue.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I think most serviced apartments can store your luggage at their office. You can call them to check. The apartments I recommended at McMahon's Point stored my luggage for me, no issue.
Although it wasn't on airbnb, the one I saw appears more like an airbnb type of place - an individual letting out a vacant apartment but using a hotel consolidator to do it.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For just a few days, I wouldn't bother with an apartment or AirBnb. I'd rather have the convenience of a well located hotel.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Another question. If When I go for a beer, do bars take cards or are they usually cash only?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
Another question. If When I go for a beer, do bars take cards or are they usually cash only?
They all take card.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For just a few days, I wouldn't bother with an apartment or AirBnb. I'd rather have the convenience of a well located hotel.
Agreed. Looking out of town a little might work for you. I usually stay in Parramatta, good hotels, good connection into the city and excellent restaurants.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by tanglin
Agreed. Looking out of town a little might work for you. I usually stay in Parramatta, good hotels, good connection into the city and excellent restaurants.
Whaaat?

Now, I like Paramatta. The river ferry is fun. The town has some decent restaurants. It's not a bad place to stay. But I stay there because I have business nearby. I can't imagine in a million years recommending a first-timer to Sydney to stay in Parramatta.
rick253, moa999, trooper and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Whaaat?

Now, I like Paramatta. The river ferry is fun. The town has some decent restaurants. It's not a bad place to stay. But I stay there because I have business nearby. I can't imagine in a million years recommending a first-timer to Sydney to stay in Parramatta.
Agree. An odd place to stay. Parramatta is small CBD in the middle of western Sydney suburbia.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Well it's 25 minutes in by train and the hotels are much cheaper but yes, if you want the central experience then stay at Circular Key...

In defence it works for me because it's only 25 minutes in by train and I can walk to the station easily, but I do agree, first time tourist maybe stay in the centre,
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
Agree. An odd place to stay. Parramatta is small CBD in the middle of western Sydney suburbia.
Agree, there are better not Sydney CBD places. It is also a pain to get out to from the Airport.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Well it's 25 minutes in by train and the hotels are much cheaper but yes, if you want the central experience then stay at Circular Key...

In defence it works for me because it's only 25 minutes in by train and I can walk to the station easily, but I do agree, first time tourist maybe stay in the centre,

Agree that Circular Quay is the place to be for a first timer.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's more like 40 minutes. If it works for you, that's great, but I think it's probably not the best idea for a first time traveller to Sydney.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I just got back from my first trip to Sydney. I stayed at the Westin (https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...westin-sydney/) and thought it was excellent. Very well placed (lots of restaurants, shops, bars in the local area), about a 10 minute walk from the Botanical Gardens (which I thought were beautiful), and a 20 minute walk to Sydney Opera House. I was upgraded as a Gold Elite, and had a nice high tower room, with great views. Breakfast was excellent, and you get complimentary entrance to the nearby Virgin Active gym. I paid an average rate of 325 AUD per night over a 6 night stay, inc breakfast.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Gonna hop on this bandwagon! My wife and I will be in Sydney for 4 days in May and will be staying at the Hilton in/near Circular Quay. We were planning to do the hop on/hop off bus tour to see the city and get around town. We were also looking to do a day trip to the Blue Mountains. Aside from that we were going to try and find good local restaurants since we love trying hot spots the locals like to go to! Anyone have any restaurant and/or cocktail lounges to try? As for the Blue Mountains is there anywhere in particular we should visit and whats the easiest way to get there? Any other tips for a first timer visiting the city are welcomed too! Thanks!

OPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.