Sydney chocolate shops and other edibles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
Your loss.

This place

https://www.pennyscheeseshop.com.au/

Will give you a good selection of local cheeses. I've only been there for a toastie, because someone told me they do the best in Sydney, and I have to agree with that.

ETA: For wines I've heard Handpicked Wines in Chippendale does good tastings. I've never been, and I'm not overly into wine, I just know a lot of wine w@nkers. It's also next to Spice Alley, which is a great spot for Asian food.
Thanks for the Penny’s recommendation. I looked at her website and it seems to be a place that I would frequent.

I don’t know what a “wine w@nker” is, but if it means a person that appreciates wine, I’ll wear the label proudly. I think.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by secondsoprano
Agree re Penny's cheese shop. It does have slightly idiosyncratic hours so may be worth checking they're open. It's a quick Uber ride from the city, or take the 311 bus or the train from Town Hall.

For wine shops you can't go past Summer Hill wine shop. Summer Hill is a lovely little suburb by the way with a real village feel. There you will also find Monkey Puzzle, the best toy shop in Sydney if you're in the market for intelligent toys (or toys for intelligent kids!). A 15 min train ride on the inner west line from Town Hall station platform 2.
Thanks for affirming that Penny’s is worth the trip. I like that she has a good selection of cheeses from Australia. I can easily get cheeses from Europe, but can’t remember seeing Australian cheeses in NOLA.

I like the idea of going into a suburb and not spending all of my time in a city center. I travel to Europe frequently and spend most of my time in villages.

Originally Posted by number_6
The Dolphin is a classic aussie pub redone for the 21st century on Crown St in Surry Hill and has a wine room that is noteworthy. Though lots of non-Australian wines, but all good. Tasting at wine shops is more for selling the stuff
https://www.timeout.com/sydney/bars/...phin-wine-room

A bit further afield in Neutral Bay is Firefly which is more Australian wine oriented and has well chosen by the glass selection. https://fireflybar.com.au/
Thanks for the links. I’ll check them out.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Thanks for affirming that Penny’s is worth the trip. I like that she has a good selection of cheeses from Australia. I can easily get cheeses from Europe, but can’t remember seeing Australian cheeses in NOLA.
You could walk between Just William and Penny's, should only be 20-25 minutes and it's a pretty nice walk through a couple of interesting neighbourhoods.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
You could walk between Just William and Penny's, should only be 20-25 minutes and it's a pretty nice walk through a couple of interesting neighbourhoods.
Between chocolate, cheese and wine, I could use some walking.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Between chocolate, cheese and wine, I could use some walking.
My thoughts exactly! A few good pubs on the walk too...
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Nothing new to add, but thanks very much for these great suggestions, some of which I didn't know! ^
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

This is my update:
As usual, I ran out of time to do everything on my list.

The Opal card for using public transportation was very handy.

Bought my Tim Tams at Woolworths Town Hall. Much cheaper than at the Duty Free store at SYD. For future visitors, Woolworths is open until midnight.

I tried several chocolate shops and my top 2 are Just William in Paddington and Oh Boo on Barangaroo St. Paddington is a charming area, although a local told me that it’s the “hipster area.” Oh Boo makes their own chocolates on premise.

bensyd suggested that I could walk between Just William and Penny’s Cheese Shop. Well, the owner of Just William said that because of the heat, I should take the chocolates back to my hotel rather than walk to Penny’s. That was a fabulous idea! I took the 333 bus back to the hotel and then took the train to Kings Cross to go to the cheese shop. I must say that Darlinghurst Rd is a somewhat “interesting” street. Penny’s is about a 3 or so block walk from the train station. Penny is an absolute delight and we had a nice conversation while she let me sample some Australian cheeses. She’s very knowledgeable with a great sense of humor.

That’s all of the suggestions that I was able to fit in on this trip. After awhile, I just wanted to take a break and get out of the heat and cool off.

I really enjoyed my visit to Sydney. It’s a beautiful city and everyone was quite friendly. I look forward to returning, hopefully, next year with my wife.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Y’all helped to make this such a wonderful experience.
Kestrel likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
After awhile, I just wanted to take a break and get out of the heat and cool off.
Next time don't go during a heat-wave! January is always going to be warm weather, but it seems that this year as far worse than most...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried several chocolate shops and my top 2 are Just William in Paddington and Oh Boo on Barangaroo St. Paddington is a charming area, although a local told me that it’s the “hipster area.” Oh Boo makes their own chocolates on premise.
I can't imagine they're a local if they think it's a hipster area.

Thanks for reporting back, it's always good to get feedback.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
then took the train to Kings Cross to go to the cheese shop. I must say that Darlinghurst Rd is a somewhat “interesting” street. Penny’s is about a 3 or so block walk from the train station. Penny is an absolute delight and we had a nice conversation while she let me sample some Australian cheeses. She’s very knowledgeable with a great sense of humor.
A lot less 'interesting' than it was and I assume you weren't there at night. The area is rapidly gentrifying and becoming more expensive - albeit it's a mix of high end apartments, older stock, backpackers accomodation and the homeless services (Wayside Chapel) with the shelter down in Woolloomooloo.

20yrs ago it was drug and and streetwalker central but that's mostly been cleaned up, although Sydney's only medically supervised drug injecting centre is on that Street.
Still a mix of adult shops and nightlife venues (mostly struggling these days).

Glad you met Penny.. she used to run a small store at the Weekend Markets just round the corner, and then took the risk on the shop.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moa999
Glad you met Penny.. she used to run a small store at the Weekend Markets just round the corner, and then took the risk on the shop.
Talking with Penny was one of the highlights of my trip and I hope that she has great success with her shop. I bought 2 Australian cheeses that she recommended to bring home.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

After my most recent visit two weeks ago, in my opinion, Oh Boo! on Barangaroo has the best fine chocolates in Sydney. I met the owner and she studied chocolate making in Belgium.

Just William on William St. in Paddington, while quite good, is not in the same league, but would be my second choice. Just William has probably the nicest packaging I’ve ever seen for a chocolate shop, including my favorite shops in Europe. Really impressive!

I prefer locally owned, non-chain, non-industrial chocolate shops that make high end and high quality product. I tried some of the more well known shops mentioned in this thread, but they just didn’t hit the mark for me. But, it’s great to have so many choices in Sydney.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.