Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney chocolate shops and other edibles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Sydney chocolate shops and other edibles

I’ll be staying in the City Hall/Hyde Park area soon. I really love chocolate, especially dark chocolate. I’m not interested in Godiva, Lindt or any other large manufacturers. I’m looking for high quality, locally owned chocolate shops that make their own chocolates. Also, not so much interested in bars of chocolate, but interested in individual pieces (pralines). Does anyone have any suggestions from personal experience?

I have to admit that I have another guilty pleasure of the dark chocolate Tim Tams. Where is the best place to buy them? I bought them once at SYD Duty Free while connecting.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Go to the rocks market , there are chocolate makers there.

really great taste and quality.

Only open on weekends but worth it if you are there

have a drink at the oldest bar too
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I’ll be staying in the City Hall/Hyde Park area soon. I really love chocolate, especially dark chocolate. I’m not interested in Godiva, Lindt or any other large manufacturers. I’m looking for high quality, locally owned chocolate shops that make their own chocolates. Also, not so much interested in bars of chocolate, but interested in individual pieces (pralines). Does anyone have any suggestions from personal experience?

I have to admit that I have another guilty pleasure of the dark chocolate Tim Tams. Where is the best place to buy them? I bought them once at SYD Duty Free while connecting.
There are two high end chocolatiers in close proximity to each other. Koko Black and Haigh's. They both have stores in the Strand Arcade and QVB. I prefer Koko Black but Haigh's is more popular.

For the Tim Tams check out the Woolworths at Town Hall.
Coathanger and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
It's a 10 minute bus ride from Hyde Park, but about a 2 minute walk from my house is this place...

https://justwilliam.com.au/

My cousin, who is a chocolate fiend, couldn't walk past it without going in when he stayed with me a few years ago.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You're from the US, right? Target (US) now sell them. As do many grocery chains (eg, Safeway/Vons in California). Pretty sure I've seen the Dark Chocolate ones - they definitely have the regular, caramel and at least one other. Cost Plus World Market also have them (and have had for >10 years), but they are a bit more expensive.

Otherwise, yes, Woolworths Town Hall (half a block away from the Hilton) are probably your best bet. Coles will also have them, but (at least in the Sydney CBD) will generally be more expensive than Woolworths.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:53 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
For the best chocolate in Sydney you have to fly to Melbourne ... in true FT style. Ganache is on Collins St. in Melbourne with some superb pralines (equal to the best in Brussels or Zurich); the owner is chocolatier from Denmark. They also make very good hot chocolate (drinking) for a bargain price. Just William in Paddington mentioned by bensyd is superb and worth a special trip, and makes a more English style of chocolate. A big step down are Koko Black and Haigh which is more like See's in the US (good candy but not fine pralines). I used to fly from NYC to Brussels to buy Neuhaus pralines there, as the ones Neuhaus sold in the US were simply not the same Now I would fly to Paris for the best chocolate (very competitive field, this fine chocolate making).
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
It's a 10 minute bus ride from Hyde Park, but about a 2 minute walk from my house is this place...

https://justwilliam.com.au/

My cousin, who is a chocolate fiend, couldn't walk past it without going in when he stayed with me a few years ago.
Looks like I know where I’ll be visiting on Thursday, 1/24.

Originally Posted by docbert
You're from the US, right? Target (US) now sell them. As do many grocery chains (eg, Safeway/Vons in California). Pretty sure I've seen the Dark Chocolate ones - they definitely have the regular, caramel and at least one other. Cost Plus World Market also have them (and have had for >10 years), but they are a bit more expensive.

Otherwise, yes, Woolworths Town Hall (half a block away from the Hilton) are probably your best bet. Coles will also have them, but (at least in the Sydney CBD) will generally be more expensive than Woolworths.
Some people think that New Orleans isn’t really a part of US. At times, I’m inclined to agree.

I’d probably rather buy the Tim Tams in Sydney. Gives me the opportunity to reminisce while eating them.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Go to the rocks market , there are chocolate makers there.

really great taste and quality.

Only open on weekends but worth it if you are there

have a drink at the oldest bar too
I’ll only be able to go to the Foodie Market on Friday. Unfortunately, the chocolate maker that looks the most intriguing, Chocolate 5018, isn’t there on Fridays.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
For the best chocolate in Sydney you have to fly to Melbourne ... in true FT style. Ganache is on Collins St. in Melbourne with some superb pralines (equal to the best in Brussels or Zurich); the owner is chocolatier from Denmark. They also make very good hot chocolate (drinking) for a bargain price. Just William in Paddington mentioned by bensyd is superb and worth a special trip, and makes a more English style of chocolate. A big step down are Koko Black and Haigh which is more like See's in the US (good candy but not fine pralines). I used to fly from NYC to Brussels to buy Neuhaus pralines there, as the ones Neuhaus sold in the US were simply not the same Now I would fly to Paris for the best chocolate (very competitive field, this fine chocolate making).
Kinda cruel to mention that the best shop is in Melbourne.

I’ve flown to Belgium to visit chocolate shops. IMO, Bruges has better choices (Madame Dumon, The Chocolate Line) than Brussels. Next time you’re in Zurich, try Vollenweider near the Opera House. Again, IMO, they have the best chocolate in Zurich.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

Every supermarket has Tim Tams in all kinds of flavours. The supermarket price will be a fraction of the duty free price. My husband and I always laugh at prices of vegemite at the duty free stores.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Every supermarket has Tim Tams in all kinds of flavours. The supermarket price will be a fraction of the duty free price. My husband and I always laugh at prices of vegemite at the duty free stores.
Duty Free Vegemite has one distinct advantage over the stuff you buy in the supermarket - you can take it with you even if you aren't checking a bag.

Vegemite is considered a "Gel" under the LAG restrictions, and thus can't be taken in a carry-on bag for an international flight.

That said, you can buy Australian-made Vegemite on Amazon, shipped to the US from the UK for less than you can buy it at SYD duty free, so...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Somehow, I don’t think that I’ll be doing any shopping for vegemite.

BTW, is anyone familiar with these two chocolate shops: Adora and Belle Fleur? I ran across them when I was using Google.

Two other things that I truly like are wine and cheese. My wife and I often travel to various wine regions and wind up buying a case or two to bring home. (Part of our checked luggage allotment) I’m traveling by myself on this trip with carryon luggage only, so won’t be bringing any wine back home. However, I would be interested in increasing my (very limited) knowledge of Australian wines. I’d be interested in wine shop/bar recommendations where I could try some good quality wines that aren’t readily available in the U.S.

Also, are there any good cheese shops near where I’m staying? Would be interested in trying local cheeses. We have a very good cheese monger in New Orleans, but I haven’t seen any from Australia.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Somehow, I don’t think that I’ll be doing any shopping for vegemite.
Your loss.

Also, are there any good cheese shops near where I’m staying? Would be interested in trying local cheeses. We have a very good cheese monger in New Orleans, but I haven’t seen any from Australia.

This place

https://www.pennyscheeseshop.com.au/

Will give you a good selection of local cheeses. I've only been there for a toastie, because someone told me they do the best in Sydney, and I have to agree with that.

ETA: For wines I've heard Handpicked Wines in Chippendale does good tastings. I've never been, and I'm not overly into wine, I just know a lot of wine w@nkers. It's also next to Spice Alley, which is a great spot for Asian food.

Last edited by bensyd; Jan 14, 2019 at 4:06 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:50 pm

Agree re Penny's cheese shop. It does have slightly idiosyncratic hours so may be worth checking they're open. It's a quick Uber ride from the city, or take the 311 bus or the train from Town Hall.

For wine shops you can't go past Summer Hill wine shop. Summer Hill is a lovely little suburb by the way with a real village feel. There you will also find Monkey Puzzle, the best toy shop in Sydney if you're in the market for intelligent toys (or toys for intelligent kids!). A 15 min train ride on the inner west line from Town Hall station platform 2.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Dolphin is a classic aussie pub redone for the 21st century on Crown St in Surry Hill and has a wine room that is noteworthy. Though lots of non-Australian wines, but all good. Tasting at wine shops is more for selling the stuff
https://www.timeout.com/sydney/bars/...phin-wine-room

A bit further afield in Neutral Bay is Firefly which is more Australian wine oriented and has well chosen by the glass selection. https://fireflybar.com.au/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.