Flights USA-Australia that are only +1 day

Old Dec 15, 18, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Flights USA-Australia that are only +1 day

Hi All-

A strange request here, but I am looking for flights from the USA-Australia that only lose 1 calendar day, not 2. Why? Because I am almost eligible for my Australian citizenship, and it requires a certain amount of days in Australia. I want to maximize this when I can, so I can apply as early as possible. Unfortunately, the vast majority of flights leave the USA late in the evening and arrive to Australia early in the AM, 2 calendar days after departure, so I 'lose' the entire arrival day. For my purposes, a late day arrival in Australia is preferable, as it allows the most time outside Australia without losing a day.

Yes, I know in some cases the late night departure is faster than a hotel + taking a flight the next day anyway and doesn't save a day. But I work late hours and would be flying out of IND (which happens to have an early direct to LAX but no late-ish options). So I typically can't make the late flights after a work day, but an early morning leave is possible.

Anyway, the best and only mainland option I can find is VA6, which is a mid-day departure LAX-BNE, arriving in BNE +1 around 8pm. Unfortunately, this flight is only 1 day a week (Saturday). This gives limited options. There is also a flight HNL-SYD at 12:10 pm, but I can't get to HNL that early from my location, so it doesn't help.

Are there any other flights that are +1 I am missing? AKL flights might work too.

Thanks

Last edited by CPMaverick; Dec 15, 18 at 9:27 pm
Old Dec 15, 18, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
A strange request here, but I am looking for flights from the USA-Australia that only lose 1 calendar day, not 2. Why? Because I am almost eligible for my Australian citizenship, and it requires a certain amount of days in Australia.
<snip>
Are there any other flights that are +1 I am missing? AKL flights might work too.
Hard to shift the date line/calendar.
Not that many airlines fly USA-Aust / NZ.

Due to the SYD curfew and the out/back schedule other airports may have more chance for a "+1".
Several airlines from HNL to Aust

AKL has NZ, AA & UA flights. Most from LAX but NZ also has ORD & IAH but seem to be a "+2" schedule.
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/flights?leg=Arrivals

Have you looked at Air Canada (YVR), Air Tahiti Nui (LAX) or Fiji Airlines (LAX)?

Does a part day in Australia count, or must it be a full day for the citizenship count?

Or just leave USA a day early.
Old Dec 16, 18, 12:23 am

Programs: NZ *G
If you go the other way there are flights on PR and CX that leave JFK soon after midnight and get to SYD "late" +1. (2030-2300) Not sure if that's a rational idea though! I suspect getting from IND to JFK would be a similar problem as from IND to LAX.
Old Dec 16, 18, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trooper View Post
...Not sure if that's a rational idea though!
Since when have rational idea's been a feature of FT

IND JFK looks to be a 2:05hr flight if non stop
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=IND-JFK-HKG-SYD

Edit
IND ORD is a 177 miles. Say 200 if driving
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=IND-ORD-HKG-SYD
Ryanardo_daVinci likes this.
Old Dec 16, 18, 2:32 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Does a part day in Australia count, or must it be a full day for the citizenship count?
I donít have a reference for this but iím led to believe (at one point I also sailed extremely close to the minimum stay in Australia requirements...) that itís where you are at 23.59 on the day that counts
Old Dec 16, 18, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Arrival in Australia before 23:59 counts as a full day. Hence the desire to arrive late in the day if possible. Leaving a day earlier isn't always possible, some of these trips will only be 2 days on the ground in the USA.

Driving to ORD is a possibility. IND-JFK offers a lot more options compared to IND-LAX. I'm not opposed to going the other way around, just assumed that it would be impossible to get a +1 in that direction. I'll look into it, thanks.

I can't find any HNL-Australia options that leave late enough to connect from IND.

I'm happy to go through NAN, AKL, etc. Or arrive in any Australian city.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Dec 16, 18 at 9:19 am
Old Dec 16, 18, 11:10 am
Original Poster

I found a CX JFK-HKG-PER option that is a +1, but it leaves JFK at 10:00 am, with only 50 minutes to connect in HKG. So it would end up being a tight connection at both JFK and HKG.

I think the only possible option to go eastbound would be QF10 which is LHR-PER, a +1 that leaves LHR at 12:10 pm. If you could get a late red eye to LHR then maybe I could leave ORD around 10 pm and make this flight.
Old Dec 16, 18, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found a CX JFK-HKG-PER option that is a +1, but it leaves JFK at 10:00 am, with only 50 minutes to connect in HKG. So it would end up being a tight connection at both JFK and HKG.

I think the only possible option to go eastbound would be QF10 which is LHR-PER, a +1 that leaves LHR at 12:10 pm. If you could get a late red eye to LHR then maybe I could leave ORD around 10 pm and make this flight.
A lot of effort (& cost) to get an extra day in Au.

Would IND-XXX-LHR. to get on the QF10, take extra time?

Anything from SIN/??? to DRW that could be booked, even if a separate ticket?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin...tional_Airport
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 16, 18 at 11:38 am
Old Dec 16, 18, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about EWR-SIN SQ21 09:45 17:15 & SIN-PER SQ215 18:40 23:55?
But getting through Au immigration in 4 minutes is a tad optimistic. PER time zone helps.

SQ EWR-SIN-DRW gets in at 02:00

Do any of the ME3 have an option via DXB/DOH/AUH to Perth, to take advantage of the WA time zone?

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=IND-JFK...SU=kts&RS=best

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 16, 18 at 2:34 pm Reason: Added route map
Old Dec 16, 18, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! The SQ flight is a nice find. I would prefer to fly SQ since they are VA partners. However, the connection in EWR would be tight and honestly unless the flight was quite early, I couldn't get through immigration in time. But I will look at flights from SIN to other Australia destinations... Maybe it will work.

Yes getting IND to LHR is an overnight, but I can leave IND the night before... just not early enough to catch a flight to LAX. So, that makes the UA flight from IAH a potential option as well.

I can't find a ME3 flight that achieves this yet. Still looking.

A lot of work and expense for one extra day, yes. But my citizenship application kind of hangs in the balance. My schedule as laid out now gives me 0 extra days. I'd pay a lot to get a 1 or 2 day buffer in case of delays, etc.
Old Dec 16, 18, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The SQ flight is a nice find. I would prefer to fly SQ since they are VA partners. However, the connection in EWR would be tight and honestly unless the flight was quite early, I couldn't get through immigration in time. But I will look at flights from SIN to other Australia destinations... Maybe it will work.
For the SQ21 17:15 arrival a 18:40 departure will be as good as its gets. DRW has a long transit and time zones work against the other states. PER & SIN are in the same time zone.

Am guessing you need to be in Au for X days in Y months/days?
Old Dec 16, 18, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

For the SQ21 17:15 arrival a 18:40 departure will be as good as its gets. DRW has a long transit and time zones work against the other states. PER & SIN are in the same time zone.

Am guessing you need to be in Au for X days in Y months/days?
Yes indeed, I have a deadline which is fixed and days away which are growing too fast

I have successfully made 45 minute international connections via SIN to Australia before. It's a very easy airport. Of course, you do run the risk of mis-connects if there is a delay.
Old Dec 17, 18, 12:29 am

Programs: RFC
Don't know where you're looking for flights, but remember that the LCC's often won't show up in general searches (ITA, OTA, etc) and may have some options, especially out of places like Singapore.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes indeed, I have a deadline which is fixed and days away which are growing too fast
So just stay in Oz

Wikipedia airport entries usually list airline & routes.
nancypants and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:50 am
Original Poster

So just stay in Oz
Well, that was the plan. But life throws you curveballs sometimes. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread