10 days in New Zealand

Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

10 days in New Zealand

I recently booked a very cheap flight to Melbourne and as I've already seen most of Australia, I was thinking of hopping over to NZ for about 10 nights. I understand it's a big country and I don't expect to see it all so I was thinking of maybe basing myself in only 2-3 cities and see some highlights. I can always come back to see more. Would that make sense?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:58 am

What are your interests? City life? Hiking? LOTR?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

City life and nature. Don't care much for LOTR to be honest.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:59 am

On the same page with you with LOTR/GOT/DND stuff, but carrying on.....

With 10 days, I'd stick to the South Island. I can't really speak much for city life (I stayed in Auckland for a few days, which I found underwhelming, and Queenstown, but didn't really do much at night), so someone else may have to chime in with thoughts regarding that.

There are tons of great 5-6 hour hikes all around the South Island, which was my reason for visiting. If that's something you're interested in, I would map out some you're interested in and then drive the route that follows the hikes. If that's something you'd want to do, I would fly into Queenstown and go from here.

Last edited by calbear2005; Dec 4, 2018 at 6:15 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Something I forgot to mention: I'll be traveling by myself and I will not be driving.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:50 pm

I would highly recommend driving, but if you're insistent that you don't want to drive, I would still start out in Queenstown for 3-4 days so that you can take a guided tour of Milford Sound and explore areas around town. From there, not having a car really limits your ability to see and do quite a lot of things and it makes travel very inefficient.
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
NZ does have a decent bus system, but still without a car your options are limited, and the options you do have will take more time.

I would suggest as above, base yourself in Queenstown, and you can book arranged bus tours to many of the south island destinations. Perhaps fly to AKL and then a few days there doing the same thing (arranged bus tours) before returning to Melbourne.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The NZ bus system is city/regional town to city/regional town. https://www.intercity.co.nz/ and the like.

For tourist type activities it then steers you to guided bus tours designed for tourists. 1000's do this, including many from Asia. As above, Queenstown area caters to that market as does the Rotorua area. It will take a lot more time than if you had a car.

Samples:--
https://www.newzealand.com/au/buscoach-transport/
https://www.newzealand.com/au/trips-...ies/8-14-days/

For something a little different you could take the ferry Wellington to Picton (a good ride) and connect to the Coastal Pacific train to Christchurch. The train to CHC restarted a few days ago, after a the Kiakoura earthquake damaged the south road/rail link
https://www.greatjourneysofnz.co.nz/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 3, 2018 at 5:10 pm Reason: Added rail
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:36 pm

We are a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 7yr old and 2 yr old) planning to stay in Queenstown for 5 days last week of May 2019. Anybody have suggestions for a good family friendly hotel in the city?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
With 10 days, I'd fly into Wellington, then cross to the south island. Either take the ferry+bus to Nelson and explore the Abel Tasman area or fly down to Queenstown.

I'd strongly considering hiking the Milford or Routeburn Track.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Post 1 was 3rd Dec 2018 so OP may be in NZ or been & gone.

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I'd strongly considering hiking the Milford or Routeburn Track.
For which you would need to make a reservation--->https://bookings.doc.govt.nz/Saturn/...rchViewGW.aspx

But they are not walks/tramps for a 7yr old and 2 yr old (Post 9)
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
New Zealand options

New Zealand is a very large country with long, difficult driving circumstances. Suggest you banish the idea of hopping across to NZ for 10 days. If you are serious about seeing the Kiwis, I suggest you pick either the South or the North Island and identify your interests e.g. hiking, sightseeing, touring. There are many ideas and recommendations posted in this forum. But NZ is not a place where you drop in for 10 days. It just isn't.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
New Zealand is a very large country with long, difficult driving circumstances.
New Zealand is a very small country with, once away from the main cities, has few multi lane freeways. Some twisty 2 lane roads some of which can be narrow. These are often in the areas frequented by tourists. (Different from where I live in NZ). It takes more time drive between destinations than people used to multi lane 60mph/100kph freeways first think.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
New Zealand is a very large country with long, difficult driving circumstances. Suggest you banish the idea of hopping across to NZ for 10 days. If you are serious about seeing the Kiwis, I suggest you pick either the South or the North Island and identify your interests e.g. hiking, sightseeing, touring. There are many ideas and recommendations posted in this forum. But NZ is not a place where you drop in for 10 days. It just isn't.
Sorry but this is closed-minded. Of course you can see a fair bit of NZ in 10 days, and telling people that they can't possibly get a valuable experience in 10 days is elitist and rubbish. It's also true that you can't see everything in 10 days, but that is a totally different argument than the one you are making.

As an Australian resident I can faithfully say New Zealand IS DEFINITELY a place people 'drop in' for 10 days, or even a long weekend, and come back happy.

And a Canadian saying NZ is a very large country is comical. Perhaps you are confusing NZ with Zealandia? The latter is very large, but mostly underwater, and impossible to see in 10 days.
nancypants, gcashin and msben like this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 4, 2019 at 11:06 pm
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Well I'm now looking into flying from MEL to Christchurch, get to Queenstown and then fly to Wellington or Auckland for a few days before flying back to MEL. I'd have 10-12 days max to spend on the ground in NZ. Obviously, I won't be able to see everything and I don't want to. I hate always being on the go. I enjoy having some days here and there when I just walk around and explore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.