FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Help with Fiji Hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1939317-help-fiji-hotels.html)

hawkfan7314 Nov 6, 2018 7:58 pm

Help with Fiji Hotels

Anyone have recent experience and suggestions between these three?

Intercontinental
Hilton Fiji
Westin Denarau

Only spending three days there but looking for the best place to just relax, it’s only me and wife so we don’t need a lot to do and we are more pool people compared to beach. Thanks

CPMaverick Nov 6, 2018 8:04 pm

I don't have any experience but have been doing some research for my own trip (eventually). Sorry to add to your list and make your decision more difficult, but I was leaning towards Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay.

Looking forward to the responses. :)

number_6 Nov 7, 2018 4:08 am

Westin Denerau is great if you have an oceanfront room (not just ocean view, and the "garden view" rooms are a bit dire, more like parking lot view). It was originally built as Fiji's only 6-star resort, and shows it though old and a bit dated. But that adds to the charm, and it has the best coffee in Fiji plus very friendly staff (even more than the Fiji norm). Also memorable is the Japanese restaurant on the golf course behind the Westin, has superb sushi served under a igloo shaped dome of ice -- brilliant idea for that climate for raw fish.

Annalisa12 Nov 7, 2018 4:24 am

Two different locations.

To me all the hotels on Denaru Island are pretty much the same. The beach is not great there. You rarely see anyone bathing there. Easy to get to the Port where you can find cheaper restaurants. You are opposite tge golf club here. Cheap food and a beautiful course. Just get a taxi to your hotel for $15 and 10 minutes. Don't wait for shuttle. Takes forever. You can catch boats daily to various islands for day trips.

Intercontinental is 45 to an hour away. Not that much to do except stay at your hotel.

Eltham Nov 7, 2018 1:38 pm

If you just want to to relax and jump in a pool, the Intercon is highly recommended. Book a Club room. The Club has it’s own pool and is rarely busy. If you do venture to the beach, that’s also nice. Great place to just do nothing for a few days. The hotel is a stand-alone property (has its own golf course) about 45 mins away from Nadi. Don’t know when you’re going but be warned about cyclone activity in the early part of the year (up to April).

hawkfan7314 Nov 7, 2018 4:16 pm

We will be there the third week in Jan. It’s always hard to judge based on review scores. One person gave the Westin 2 1/2 stars because they didn’t like how much drinks cost.... everything else was “amazing”. The fact that the score was brought down that much is nuts.

number_6 Nov 7, 2018 10:43 pm

tripadviser reviews are always to be taken with a grain of salf ... my favourite is review of beach front accom where reviewer complained about sand in the room :) Another was Aman hotel in jungle where reviewer complained about frogs croaking all night and hotel sent staff to collect the frogs but the frogs cam back and croaked some more .... scores reflect expectation more than quality. If you read between the lines you can get a useful picture.

Annalisa12 Nov 7, 2018 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314 (Post 30405653)
We will be there the third week in Jan. It’s always hard to judge based on review scores. One person gave the Westin 2 1/2 stars because they didn’t like how much drinks cost.... everything else was “amazing”. The fact that the score was brought down that much is nuts.

January is school holiday time in Australia and we love Fiji so book soon so you get what you want.