FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Auckland Airport 2am-6am (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1938857-auckland-airport-2am-6am.html)

henrus Nov 4, 2018 4:25 am

Auckland Airport 2am-6am

I've got a 4 hr 55 minute connection (International to International) at Auckland airport from 1:50am until 6:45am the next morning and have got a few questions...

Is it possible to remain airside or does the airside section of Auckland airport close at night?

Is there 24/7 food somewhere (airside or landside) or is it worth getting a cab somewhere?

I'm assuming I'd have my boarding pass in advanced but if I went landside would I be able to get back airside or do they only open security at say 5am.

I know it's kind of in the wrong spot and not Air NZ related but all of you in the Air NZ section seem to know your stuff about Auckland airport.

sbiddle Nov 4, 2018 10:25 am

Are you in true transit or merely on a connecting flight?

If it is transit you need to be aware you have not paid any customs fees and are therefore ineligible to enter NZ. Will they do anything to you or will anybody pick you up on this? It's highly unlikely - but it is something to be aware of.

Top of climb Nov 4, 2018 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by henrus (Post 30390992)
Is it possible to remain airside or does the airside section of Auckland airport close at night?

Yes you can stay airside.

Is there 24/7 food somewhere (airside or landside) or is it worth getting a cab somewhere?

I think most if not all of the food places shut overnight. There are some 24 hour fast food restaurants in the wider airport precinct but you wouldn't be able to get back airside until 4.30 when security re-opens. Might be easier for you just to bring a sandwich or something for the overnight layover, though obviously remember to declare it if you do decide to exit!

I'm assuming I'd have my boarding pass in advanced but if I went landside would I be able to get back airside or do they only open security at say 5am.

See above.

henrus Nov 4, 2018 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30392015)
Are you in true transit or merely on a connecting flight?

True transit.

Originally Posted by Top of climb (Post 30392760)
I think most if not all of the food places shut overnight. There are some 24 hour fast food restaurants in the wider airport precinct but you wouldn't be able to get back airside until 4.30 when security re-opens. Might be easier for you just to bring a sandwich or something for the overnight layover, though obviously remember to declare it if you do decide to exit!

Even though security shuts I assume they'd still let us go through transit security? I'm just used to Sydney whereby everyone is kicked out of the airside section at a certain time.

nancypants Nov 4, 2018 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by henrus (Post 30392951)

Even though security shuts I assume they'd still let us go through transit security? I'm just used to Sydney whereby everyone is kicked out of the airside section at a certain time.

Transit security is open as long as there are flights that may require it. However that doesn’t help you out if you decide to go landside

FWIW I’m not sure at that time of the morning you’d find a whole lot of anything open in the surroundings even if you did decide to enter NZ and take a cab somewhere

ottiehund Nov 4, 2018 11:05 pm

I have wondered this as well (international to domestic, rather than international to international as OP situation) and have avoided some flights back into NZ where I would have had 5 hours or so to fill in, during the wee hours of the morning in Auckland as was not sure if I could collect my bags and stay airside at international (assuming domestic terminal would be closed) .

Just out of interest what is open (if anything) airside at that time of night/morning?

ps107 Nov 5, 2018 6:45 am

There's a 24 hour driving range 5 mins from the terminal at 10 Nixon Road, Auckland Airport, 2022.

On Mondays and Fridays there's a 4:30am flight to Suva which may give you an extra opportunity to get through security if you're quick.

Kiwi Flyer Nov 8, 2018 1:24 am

Nothing open airside in the middle of the night. International transit should be possible before the last flight of the night departs - unsure after that (if no staff then it won't be possible). If going landside it is immigration and security that are shut for a few hours until about 4:30am.

kiwifrequentflyer Nov 8, 2018 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by ottiehund (Post 30394046)
I have wondered this as well (international to domestic, rather than international to international as OP situation) and have avoided some flights back into NZ where I would have had 5 hours or so to fill in, during the wee hours of the morning in Auckland as was not sure if I could collect my bags and stay airside at international (assuming domestic terminal would be closed) .

Just out of interest what is open (if anything) airside at that time of night/morning?

There is no way to do this as far as I'm aware. Once you get dumped in the bag collection zone, that's it: your only way out is to collect your bags and then exit security. Now you'd be landside with the domestic terminal closed.

I'm curious as to what flights land you at this awful time with such an awful connection.

Thai-Kiwi Nov 8, 2018 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 30408889)
There is no way to do this as far as I'm aware. Once you get dumped in the bag collection zone, that's it: your only way out is to collect your bags and then exit security. Now you'd be landside with the domestic terminal closed.

I'm curious as to what flights land you at this awful time with such an awful connection.

The latest domestic departure from AKL is 9pm, so any international arrival from around 8pm will cause an overnight connection.

Worst case are the many international transtasman arrivals landing between 10:55pm to 12:55am, which connect to the earliest domestic flights from approx. 6:30am.

cavemanzk Nov 8, 2018 9:50 pm

There are a couple e.g. VA90 RAR-AKL arrives around 1:45am!

henrus Nov 8, 2018 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 30410354)
There are a couple e.g. VA90 RAR-AKL arrives around 1:45am!

Haha that's the one I'm coming in on. Have then got a 6am flight onwards. It's not that bad only being 4 hours but would be nice to have somewhere to sit or something to do.

jarwai Nov 9, 2018 12:59 pm

The Strata Lounge opens at 05:00, but that probably won't help much if you're boarding for a 06:00 departure...

cavemanzk Nov 9, 2018 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by jarwai (Post 30412654)
The Strata Lounge opens at 05:00, but that probably won't help much if you're boarding for a 06:00 departure...

That maybe change soon - as the Starta Lounge is now used by VA.

ottiehund Nov 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Going back a few months when we were booking a winter getaway but from memory the flights were from Rarotonga and Fiji. I think we also encountered a similar wait in Auckland when looking at Honolulu flights returning. The transit was 5+hrs (I specifically remember 5hrs 40 min as one) before we could get connection to home (which is regional so maybe that makes a difference)