Wiki Posts
Search

NZ - 2 week vacation question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by calbear2005
Are you hesitant to rent a car because of driving on the opposite side of the road? Or the hassle of having a car?............... Something to be said about being in charge of your own vacation.
I have driven in several countries "on the opposite side of the road" so it's not that. It is just a hassle to have to drive, stop to see the sights, find a place, parking, etc....
You are absolutely right about being in charge of my vacation.
Most of my reservations are totally refundable + the flights are bought are so cheap that I do not mind loosing them if I change plans
Will look at car options.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
In cities like SYD (or most places in California!) a car would be a liability and an annoyance.

In NZ it's a pleasure to have a car, save for maybe Auckland. Parking may occasionally be a minor issue but for the most part, it's rural enough that it's actually fun to drive! A rare thing these days. It's especially fun if you like driving fast, as the speed limits are often quite high for the road type. I like it.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by keisari
It is just a hassle to have to drive, stop to see the sights, find a place, parking, etc....
As CPMaverick said, there's almost no hassle in having a car in the South Island (even in a bigger city like Christchurch). I get not wanting to have a car if you think of it in terms of having a car in SF and having to circle block after block, looking for parking. In the South Island, parking is plentiful in comparison.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:11 pm

You should really consider to self drive. You will be in better control of your time should you want to shorten or lengthen your stay at various places.
Originally Posted by keisari
Originally Posted by calbear2005
Are you hesitant to rent a car because of driving on the opposite side of the road? Or the hassle of having a car?............... Something to be said about being in charge of your own vacation.
I have driven in several countries "on the opposite side of the road" so it's not that. It is just a hassle to have to drive, stop to see the sights, find a place, parking, etc....
You are absolutely right about being in charge of my vacation.
Most of my reservations are totally refundable + the flights are bought are so cheap that I do not mind loosing them if I change plans
Will look at car options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.