Largest Avis / Hertz branch in Melbourne downtown?

Old Oct 5, 18, 12:39 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Largest Avis / Hertz branch in Melbourne downtown?

Hi all,

Curious if anyone can advise what the largest Avis or Hertz location is in Melbourne downtown. Looking to rent a car in the morning, don't want to go to the airport, but I would still like an upgrade (President's in both programs).

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Curious if anyone can advise what the largest Avis or Hertz location is in Melbourne downtown. Looking to rent a car in the morning, don't want to go to the airport, but I would still like an upgrade (President's in both programs).
Probably those depots in Franklin St CDB (Central business district) [The term downtown is not used in Australia].
All the major brands are in the same street and close together. Have (old) largish buildings.

However the South Yarra Avis depot (Hotel Como, 630 Chapel St, South Yarra VIC 3141) may have more prestige cars as it is a more upmarket (trendy~rich~$$$) part of the city.

But you will not know until you ask. When are you in Melbourne?
Old Oct 5, 18, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Probably those depots in Franklin St CDB (Central business district) [The term [I]downtown is not used in Australia].
All the major brands are in the same street and close together. Have (old) largish buildings.

However the South Yarra Avis depot (Hotel Como, 630 Chapel St, South Yarra VIC 3141) may have more prestige cars as it is a more upmarket (trendy~rich~$$$) part of the city.

But you will not know until you ask. When are you in Melbourne?
Interesting. Thanks! Maybe Iíll rent from there then. Iím there in a week.
Old Oct 5, 18, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. Thanks! Maybe Iíll rent from there then. Iím there in a week.
But upgrades are never guaranteed. May be best to phone first.
Old Oct 5, 18, 5:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Agree on South Yarra, for Hertz at least. It isn't an enormous location, but they do tend to have access to more vehicles, so more options for an upgrade. If you're staying downtown (near Flinders Station), it is rather easy to get there via train or tram.
I'd definitely recommend calling ahead. They are nice guys, and I'm sure they can tell you what they would do for upgrades.
Old Oct 5, 18, 7:51 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'd avoid the Franklin St locations unless they are extremely convenient to your accommodation, etc. There is a significant amount of road closures and construction in the area for a new metro station & tunnel. It will be this way until 2020 at least.

I actually thought the Hertz Franklin Street location has been closed during the construction, as it appears totally blocked off from road access (I live nearby). But, their website says it is still open.
Old Oct 6, 18, 4:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Only the airport location has a large inventory of upgrade cars, all the CBD locations tend to fully book out the nicer cars.
Old Oct 11, 18, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Reply to my own question - took a bet on franklin, got their last Mustang 5.0, but they told me Flinders is the much larger downtown location for future reference (with Porsches and a R8).
Old Oct 11, 18, 5:33 pm

Reply to my own question - took a bet on franklin, got their last Mustang 5.0, but they told me Flinders is the much larger downtown location for future reference (with Porsches and a R8).
Hertz or Avis?
Old Nov 10, 18, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
I actually thought the Hertz Franklin Street location has been closed during the construction, as it appears totally blocked off from road access (I live nearby). But, their website says it is still open.
Just a note, there is still a Franklin St Hertz location. They've moved to a new location, but still on Franklin St.

Search this Thread