3 nights away from Canberra

Old Sep 19, 18, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
3 nights away from Canberra

Looking for destination ideas for 3 nights of planned Australia trip, at end of October. We will have spent a week in Canberra already and these 3 nights will conclude with a departing flight from Canberra airport. We will have a hire car and travelling with our 6 month old son, so ideally somewhere within approx 2 hours from Canberra by road.

We have been to Australia several times and have done Sydney, Woollongong (and others further afield) but this is our first trip to Canberra / Australian Capital Territory. No specific preference of seaside vs inland - needs to be vaguely baby friendly though ie we wouldn't plan to go trekking etc.

Look forward to hearing any suggestions!
Old Sep 19, 18, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Hyams Beach would be my first pick. End of October it *should* be warm enough to be beach weather. Otherwise, how about Bowral or Kangaroo Valley? Tuross Head is also pretty nice. They're all within 2.5 hours of CBR. I'll toss in Thredbo, but you'll be fairly limited as to what you can do (too warm for skiing, but the snow pack at the top of the mountain won't have melted), and there's a reason the Australian ten dollar note is often referred to as a "Thredbo dollar".
so3003 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 18, 5:52 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I can highly recommend the Yarrangobilly Caves area. Beautiful country to drive in, lots of animals, and there are thermal pools and bushwalks to go with the many caves. I stumbled upon this place and it was a real hidden gem. Do try to arrive early as you need to reserve tours for each cave (I only went to one cave, and enjoyed walking and swimming in the pools the rest of the time). https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au...rmal-pool-walk

You could drive through Adelong on the way from Canberra, and visit the old gold mill ruins. Adelong
so3003 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 18, 3:41 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Bateman's Bay is a 2 hour drive from Canberra, quite pretty country as is the coast further south. You can even see whales in Narooma, probably elsewhere along the coast too. Great cheese at Tilba (in a country full of great cheese).
so3003 likes this.

Search this Thread