Driving in New Zealand

Old Sep 9, 18, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Shangri-La Jade, Best Western Diamond, Hilton Gold
Driving in New Zealand

Hello and apologies for bumping this thread. I wanted some reassurances about deciding to drive in NZ South Island. I am an Indian, so drive on the left hand side anyway; the main question I had is about parking. Are there marked spots or places where you can park the car in the cities? What about the highways? Parking on the shoulder of the road to admire a view is okay? I always worry about my rental being towed away, hence the apprehension.
Old Sep 9, 18, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deovrat View Post
Hello and apologies for bumping this thread. I wanted some reassurances about deciding to drive in NZ South Island. I am an Indian, so drive on the left hand side anyway; the main question I had is about parking. Are there marked spots or places where you can park the car in the cities? What about the highways? Parking on the shoulder of the road to admire a view is okay? I always worry about my rental being towed away, hence the apprehension.
There are no simple answers to your questions.

Parking in cities & towns can be limited, like many places in the world. Parking meters are common as is limited time parking and parking lots. City councils get a good revenue from parking tickets.

The roads in many of the more scenic areas are narrow & can be twisty. Often their is no space to pull off the road (no narrow or wide shoulder). Some times their are designated parking areas to pull off and admire a vista.

Speed limits are religiously enforced (safety & government revenue).
Old Sep 9, 18, 5:43 pm

Programs: RFC
You should never take a car diving in New Zealand and few to no rental car companies will provide insurance for diving in your car. That said, it happens surprisingly often, especially off the Skippers Canyon road. Which no insurance company will insure you for driving on or diving from.
Old Sep 9, 18, 6:29 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by deovrat View Post
Parking areas should be clearly marked. If payment is required, that should be clearly marked as well. If you park in proper parking areas, you won't be towed. Worst you'll get is a ticket if you don't pay properly.

NZ has narrow roads, even main roads can be narrow. Don't stop in the road for photos, look for a proper spot to pull over completely. Generally these are marked.

I wouldn't worry too much, particularly about being towed, if you follow this general advice.
Old Sep 9, 18, 10:04 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth View Post
You should never take a car diving in New Zealand and few to no rental car companies will provide insurance for diving in your car. That said, it happens surprisingly often, especially off the Skippers Canyon road. Which no insurance company will insure you for driving on or diving from.
what ? is there some kind of australianism / britism I am missing, can someone including the OP help me understand this.
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 9, 18, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtgta View Post
What? is there some kind of Australianism / Britism I am missing, can someone including the OP help me understand this.
The original thread title was "Diving". Now corrected to "Driving"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skippers_Canyon
<snip>
The main New Zealand road where rental car insurance is not honoured, Skippers Road is mostly one-way, narrow and steep with sheer drops of several hundred metres. In 1886, Skippers Canyon was also the first site where hydroelectricity was generated to power gold mining
<snip>
rtgta likes this.
Old Sep 10, 18, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Shangri-La Jade, Best Western Diamond, Hilton Gold
Thanks Mwenenzi & CPMaverick

Search this Thread