FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Lord Howe Island - Recommended? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1928012-lord-howe-island-recommended.html)

kapooncha Aug 29, 2018 10:01 pm

Lord Howe Island - Recommended?

Thinking about visiting Australia next year and was hoping to get out to Lord Howe for at least 1 or 2 days. Anyone been and do you recommend it? Is it as pretty as the pictures?

number_6 Aug 30, 2018 1:40 am

Yes, one of the truly great places in the world and worth the effort and cost to go there. Accomodation is in short supply so plan accordingly.

kapooncha Aug 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Just looked up the flight cost to get there from SYD. WOW, crazy expensive.

number_6 Aug 31, 2018 11:39 pm

Expensive route to operate and flights often sold out.

secondsoprano Sep 2, 2018 5:50 pm

One of my favourite places in the world. But you really need to spend at least 3-5 days there to justify the airfare.

mmack Sep 10, 2018 1:38 pm

Heaven on Earth!!!

We are about to make our 14th trip to Lord Howe Island at the end of this month. The island and its scenery, plants and birds, hiking and beaches are absolutely beautiful, and the peace and unhurried ambiance add to its charms. We always stay at Capella. There are other good places to stay.....tourism is controlled so there are no crowds. You can leave your bike and helmet anywhere on the island, and it will be there (with all your stuff) when you return from your hike.

You do need to stay AT LEAST 3-5 nights: occasionally a flight is delayed by a day (weather) so don't have tight connections on the mainland.

Its "expensive" only in terms of $$$: for sheer beauty its priceless!

CPMaverick Sep 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by mmack (Post 30189179)
You do need to stay AT LEAST 3-5 nights:

Can you elaborate on why? I'm looking into a visit, and 3 days seemed like enough. Sounds like you have a wealth of experience there though! Cheers

mmack Sep 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 30190173)
Can you elaborate on why? I'm looking into a visit, and 3 days seemed like enough. Sounds like you have a wealth of experience there though! Cheers

Because the atmosphere of complete and utter peace and beauty only begins to get into your head around day 3. You will arrive mid-day(one day half gone). Two whole days. Fourth morning/ day you have a mid-day or late afternoon flight(another day half gone).

There is nothing like it!!! Spend as much time as you can and then book your return.

kapooncha Sep 18, 2018 11:20 am

mmack, is October/November an okay time to go?

Catweazle Sep 25, 2018 5:57 am

Originally Posted by mmack (Post 30194617)
Because the atmosphere of complete and utter peace and beauty only begins to get into your head around day 3. You will arrive mid-day(one day half gone). Two whole days. Fourth morning/ day you have a mid-day or late afternoon flight(another day half gone).

There is nothing like it!!! Spend as much time as you can and then book your return.

Although I haven't been to Lord Howe Island, I have been to several other islands around the world including the Whitsundays, Barra in the Scottish Hebrides and the Portuguese Azores. From personal experience in these places, what you say is oh so true. You need some time to wind down and get into tune with the place; time to connect and adjust your pace, so to speak. Island life is so different from life on the mainland and unless you give yourself a few days, one can never fully come to appreciate its full beauty.

I think they only allow about 500 people (or tourists, at least) on the island at a time, hence the lack of award availability, aircraft seats and general accomodation options. That said, if you have any QFF (or AS and/or AA miles?) you might be able to get a seat for zilch. However, accomodation there isn't the cheapest either, again given the maximum number of people allowed on the island at any one time. I would suggest going off peak if you can, although, on the other hand, the summer months would be the best in terms of weather.