Australian visa not showing in VEVO

Old Aug 23, 18, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
Australian visa not showing in VEVO

I’ll keep it as brief as I can:

I applied for ETC, it was granted, it shows in VEVO.

Partner denied ETC for checking prior conviction. Submitted documentation, granted 600 visa within a week about a month ago. His is not showing up in VEVO (says can not match passport info to a visa). Checked in online for travel tonight, mine went fine his says proceed to airport for checkin.

Anything I need to worry about? Anyone I need to or can call? Will airport staff be able to handle this?

thanks. I’m a worrier.
Old Aug 24, 18, 7:28 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I haven't used VEVO but my understanding is it is how you check your visa status with the Australian government. Is that right?

If the official government website can't find your visa, yes, you have reason to worry. The airport staff can't be counted on to fix anything. I would call the immigration office in Australia ASAP. You might not be able to find any working numbers as it will be the weekend. Try to check on your visa another way, if possible.

If you can't get anywhere, then just print out a hard copy of your 600 visa details. Don't bother the check-in agent with any questions about VEVO or imply there are any problems with your visa. Just show them the paperwork. That may be enough to check-in. Then once you arrive to Australia, hopefully you can sort out any technical problems directly. I suspect there is a simple error that can be sorted out in Australia, but your greatest issue would be denied boarding. So just be prepared to show your visa details to the check-in agent.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 24, 18, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not call anywhere other than the specific help line provided by the Australian government. It took less than 30 seconds to find that number and it is staffed around the clock. Always better to take the simple approach.

https://www.australiavisagov.com/contact-us
Old Aug 24, 18, 10:19 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Do not call anywhere other than the specific help line provided by the Australian government. It took less than 30 seconds to find that number and it is staffed around the clock. Always better to take the simple approach.

Problem is the link you have provided is NOT a government site (these end with .gov.au) - it's some dodgy 3rd party based out of India I would guess by the wording and company name. Much like the front sites which will do a US ESTA application for $50 instead of the $14 it actually costs. The first paragraph on the about us page has this to say (underlining mine):
Our website is a commercial website, one of the world’s leading provider of online services for global customers. We are not the Embassy/Consulate/High Commission or the representative of the Government of Australia.

OP: Do not call the number on this site. Unfortunately there is (on purpose) no easy way to contact Home Affairs (which Immigration is part of). You will have to hope it's sorted at the airport. Not what you want to hear, but that's the reality.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 24, 18, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks all I know you were all very concerned with how this turned out.

Basically I didn’t do anything, but we did arrive at the airport 4 hours early. I didn’t bother checkin agents (united) with any backstory just tried checking in. Mine was fine my partner of course has problems.

Agent took the print out of the visa and checked all the information and said something like “that’s weird the name, birthday, passport all match but I can’t get you checked in”. Then he got on the phone. After like 15 minutes of him not really saying anything and us standing off to the side I finally asked him “are you on hold or what are we doing?” He said that he was on hold while “they” called the Australian embassy. About 5 minutes after that he said “ok so we are good?” And hung up the phone. Pressed like 18,000 buttons and then handed us the boarding pass.

No idea. It was a little worrisome there for a bit. But it all worked. I write this from somewhere over the South Pacific.

Will report back if any issues upon landing.
CPMaverick and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 24, 18, 11:53 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles View Post
About 5 minutes after that he said “ok so we are good?” And hung up the phone. Pressed like 18,000 buttons and then handed us the boarding pass.

No idea. It was a little worrisome there for a bit. But it all worked. I write this from somewhere over the South Pacific.

Will report back if any issues upon landing.
Good stuff. Thanks for the update - figured that would be the process!
Old Aug 24, 18, 3:10 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Uh, that is not a government website mate. Very bad advice to send someone there.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Uh, that is not a government website mate. Very bad advice to send someone there.
ya I knew that was not the place to go.

To finally close the loop: absolutely no issues entering Australia. In fact, it was insanely fast. Was off the plane at 7am, and walking into the Park Hyatt at 9:30am with our bags... and the room was already ready for checkin 👌🏻
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR, MR Lifetime Gold
Based on my experience, airlines use some VEVO-like service (API calls) to check your visa, so checking VEVO is the litmus test.

Airlines also have the ability to call some Australian service and get some stuff sorted out for you, such as moving a visa from an expired passport onto a new one.

Search this Thread