Tipping in Australia

Old Jun 28, 18, 3:13 am
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum;
Tipping in Australia

What is the protocol on tipping in Australia?

I went to Sepia restaurant in Sydney and they came back three separate times for a tip (i.e. they give you a slip with the bill with a space for a tip then the credit card machine had the tip option left open twice).

I didn't give a tip because I had no idea what amount would be appropriate. In London top restaurants a 12.5% service charge is added automatically. In US you know to add about 20%. I always thought tipping in Australia was unusual and I hardly expected to be hounded for a tip at a restaurant where my bill was $800 for 2 people. Any advice?
Old Jun 28, 18, 3:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
We don't expect tips in Australia - except perhaps for the highest-end type restaurants such as the one you dined at!
CPMaverick and trooper like this.
Old Jun 28, 18, 5:26 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Don't be intimidated by pushy waiters in Australia. It is utterly unnecessary.
Reds2011 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 18, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by turtlemichael View Post
Don't be intimidated by pushy waiters in Australia. It is utterly unnecessary.
In that instance the OP states I would of definitely put a 0 in the tip section.

I work in the hospitality industry and wages are so high that they don't need tips to survive. An adult casual is on just over $25 an hour for Monday to Friday. More for weekends.

If people say to us "keep the change" or tip I tell them that we'll put it in to our donation box and donate it to charity. We don't need extra money.
turtlemichael and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jun 28, 18, 7:31 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
In that instance the OP states I would of definitely put a 0 in the tip section.

I work in the hospitality industry and wages are so high that they don't need tips to survive. An adult casual is on just over $25 an hour for Monday to Friday. More for weekends.

If people say to us "keep the change" or tip I tell them that we'll put it in to our donation box and donate it to charity. We don't need extra money.
Interesting to see what the rates are today! I used to waiter in a function hall 30 years ago through my student years and we were getting $8 ph, with time and half on Sundays (including any time we worked past 12 on Saturday night!) and double time on public holiday. Most of my mates who worked at Coles, Woolies or McDondalds were on $3.50 ph at the time so I felt very well off by comparison.

In the 4 years I worked there I got tipped 3 times. Only once was a proper tip when a wine merchant was trying to impress and flog us his wines. It was only my 2nd night and I've never opened a bottle of Champagne before. He gave me a $50 for it and said keep the change. I served him well that night, but no more tips were forthcoming! The other times were just 50c when people didn't want their change back to carry around!

Travelling has made me aware how lucky Australia is in that regard. It's great to go in somewhere and know what's on the menu is the price you pay, not food and a "charity type" donation to the serving staff.

To the o,p, I would agree with others and don't feel the pressure to tip unless you think it was for outstanding service, not because there is a line on the bill for it.

Last edited by dddc; Jun 28, 18 at 5:34 pm
Old Jun 28, 18, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sam View Post
What is the protocol on tipping in Australia?
I usually tip 5%-10% in restaurants. Almost everyone I know leaves tips in that range.
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:25 pm

Tipping generally - usually round it up, maybe 5%, definitely no more. None is also perfectly acceptable. On an $800 bill I'd leave maybe $20. If they're hounding you, zero.
Old Jun 29, 18, 7:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Would you tip a tour guide?

How about a bell person at a hotel? Or someone who brings extra towels or whatnot to the room?

Any other instances when a tip may be somewhat expected?
Old Jun 29, 18, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Would you tip a tour guide?
No.

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
How about a bell person at a hotel? Or someone who brings extra towels or whatnot to the room?

Any other instances when a tip may be somewhat expected?
No.

Outside of restaurants, it's never expected. And I mean never expected.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 30, 18, 7:33 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
I usually tip 5%-10% in restaurants. Almost everyone I know leaves tips in that range.
Dissapointed to hear tipping has infiltrated your inner circle.

As a US ex-pat the topic of tipping has come up often. The answer from Australians that I have directly interacted with has always been the same- 'We don't tip, unless the service was extremely exceptional, and even then a maximum of 5%'. These are all MEL-based folks. I also keep an eye on corporate events where the company is paying, and I've always noticed they haven't tipped.

I hope tipping doesn't become an expectation here... there is just no reason for it given the wages.
Old Jun 30, 18, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
...I hope tipping doesn't become an expectation here... there is just no reason for it given the wages.
The more Americans travel Downunder, the more will hospitality staff be expecting tips.
Old Jun 30, 18, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by puchong View Post
The more Americans travel Downunder, the more will hospitality staff be expecting tips.
That's to be expected and I see it in the tourist areas. In the staff's eyes, if Americans want to (or even insist to) give them free money, they'll take it!

But, it's different than a normal local establishment expecting tips.
Old Jun 30, 18, 11:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Alaska 75K, Avianca, British Airways
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
I have never tipped in Australia and neither does anyone else I know. A Sunday waiter gets around $50 per hour (Hence why many restaurants are closed on Sundays).
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 1, 18, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dissapointed to hear tipping has infiltrated your inner circle.
It's always been like that. Growing up my parents tipped, my grandparents tipped, my friends parents tipped. I've always left a tip and so do my friends. If it infiltrated my inner circle it did so before I was born.

I hope tipping doesn't become an expectation here... there is just no reason for it given the wages.
While I don't want to get in to a discussion on wages, $22/hour doesn't go far in Sydney.

Last edited by bensyd; Jul 1, 18 at 9:06 pm Reason: wages not ages
Old Jul 1, 18, 11:24 pm

You make it sound like Australians have always tipped. Yet not a single other Australian I've met has told me they tip regularly (and the topic comes up very often). Any other Australians out there in the world that have always tipped? Please let us know.

Search this Thread