Drink/ Driving limits in WA

Old Jun 20, 18, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
Drink/ Driving limits in WA

Can anyone tell me what the drink driving laws are in Western Australia?
As we're flying from MAN - PER, via SIN, my husband is reluctant to drink any alcohol; on either of the flights in case he is deemed to be over the legal driving limit when he lands & collects our rental car.
Old Jun 20, 18, 6:45 am

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ
0.05 in Australia

All of Australia is 0.05.
Depends on size, weight, consumption of food etc but the general rule of thumb is (for males) 3 in the first hour and then 1 every hour after that.
Of course flying might effect this too.
SIN-PER is a 5 hour flight but you don't say what time you land.
Old Jun 20, 18, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Drinking in an aircraft (altitude) can have more effect than on the ground.

Depending on the state the penalties can be high
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...ving-penalties
Old Jul 1, 18, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer View Post
All of Australia is 0.05.
Depends on size, weight, consumption of food etc but the general rule of thumb is (for males) 3 in the first hour and then 1 every hour after that.
Of course flying might effect this too.
SIN-PER is a 5 hour flight but you don't say what time you land.
We should be arriving mid afternoon providing we meet our connection at Changi. When you say 3 beers, how much is that in mls?
Old Jul 1, 18, 2:22 pm

The WA drink drive limit is reached by drinking 3 UK units of alcohol quickly , then can be maintained in a steady state with one UK unit an hour. Thats because the average male is said to metabolise a unit every hour To make life easy UK units of alcohol are easy to calculate , units of alc = litres x ABV percentage Many beers are 4 or 5 pc ABV , and its on the bottle Three units of average UK bitter would be 750mls x 4% As Im sure everyone knows , most modern wines about 13 % , spirits usually 40% Anyone who likes numbers , please check my arithmetic !

Im sitting waiting for a long delayed flight at EDI I may go for a pint as it will be metabolised by the time I get to BHX !
Old Jul 4, 18, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
IMHO, when driving in a foreign country (even one where you drive on the same side of the road), especially at the end of a long flight, the legal limit should be the least of your concerns.

If you're even close to the 0.05 limit, then your driving will be impaired to at least some extent. Add an unfamiliar environment and a long flight to that, and you probably shouldn't be driving...
Old Jul 10, 18, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
IMHO, when driving in a foreign country (even one where you drive on the same side of the road), especially at the end of a long flight, the legal limit should be the least of your concerns.

If you're even close to the 0.05 limit, then your driving will be impaired to at least some extent. Add an unfamiliar environment and a long flight to that, and you probably shouldn't be driving...
I agree. Also worth noting being sleep deprived can be the same as being low-range drunk.

Search this Thread