Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best award redemption to NZ and Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Economy award availability seems quite good this year. Almost wide open. October / November is kind of a low season for USA-Aus travel, but still, much better than I've seen in recent years.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
My back hurts thinking about going all that distance in Y.

CX via HKG on AA miles is going to run at least 220k in J for the round trip and that’s without a stopover. It’s hard to beat ANA award rates at 120k round trip, with one stopover allowed. I booked far out for my trip to NZ this year, not sure what availability is like closer in.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by javabytes
My back hurts thinking about going all that distance in Y.

CX via HKG on AA miles is going to run at least 220k in J for the round trip and that’s without a stopover. It’s hard to beat ANA award rates at 120k round trip, with one stopover allowed. I booked far out for my trip to NZ this year, not sure what availability is like closer in.
Is that on ANA's own program, something like SFO-NRT-SYD?

Does ANA also fly nonstop to AKL?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by wco81
Is that on ANA's own program, something like SFO-NRT-SYD?

Does ANA also fly nonstop to AKL?
ANA does not fly nonstop to AKL, but ANZ does from both NRT and HND. Another possibility is Air China via PEK.

We ended up flying ORD-NRT-PEK-AKL-PEK-NRT-JFK in J all the way for 120k ANA miles per person, transferred from Amex at 1:1. You’re allowed a stopover and an open jaw so you can really maximize the routing if you desire. Yes, routing via northern Asia is a long way to go if you just want direct to AUS/NZ, but availability is considerably better.

Qantas awards also popped up a couple times while I was planning the trip. If you prefer that route, a few ExpertFlyer alerts would possibly be helpful.

Last edited by javabytes; Sep 1, 2018 at 11:26 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:17 pm
Suspended

So you got Air China awards for NRT-PEK-AKL with ANA miles?

That's a tough routing though, must be at least 15 hours, after 10-15 hours to NRT?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you got Air China awards for NRT-PEK-AKL with ANA miles?

That's a tough routing though, must be at least 15 hours, after 10-15 hours to NRT?
Yes, since Air China is also *A. NRT-PEK was ANA, PEK-AKL was CA. As I said in the last post, it’s definitely the scenic route, so if you want to do a stopover in Japan or China it really is maximizing the miles flown for the miles paid. If you don’t want to do a stopover, you may have to decide between taking the longer, cheaper route with better availability, or the more direct routes with either less availability or much higher prices.

Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I have done just about everything, Y, Y+, PE, J, F between Australia and the USA, and Y, Y+, PE, & J between Australia and China.

Honestly, unless I wanted to stop in Asia, I'd rather fly PE or even Y+ (on DL or VA, with 9 across 777), direct. Even over J connecting in Asia. You are basically doubling what is already a crazy long time in transit by connecting in Asia. And China in particular is not a super-fun transit point (although it is getting better). There are some exceptions, like if you are flying JFK-PER for example, it totally makes sense. But not if you can one-stop in the USA then onwards to SYD/MEL/BNE.

Just my opinion and I'm sure others will differ. But the EconomyX product on VA is quite tolerable IMO, and so is Economy Comfort on DL (while it lasts). Don't get me wrong I'm always trying to move up towards the front of the plane, but adding 15 hours of transit is a big downside to me.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Sep 5, 2018 at 2:46 am
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
The connection via PEK is brutal I wouldn't do that even in J. Of course this is coming from someone who's flying NYC-SFO-AKL-CHC in Y+ soon.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
The connection via PEK is brutal I wouldn't do that even in J. Of course this is coming from someone who's flying NYC-SFO-AKL-CHC in Y+ soon.
Which airline?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Which airline?
For this trip UA/NZ. The trip via PEK was on CA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.