Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

Masters Thesis Survey: Australians who travel domestically for business purposes

Masters Thesis Survey: Australians who travel domestically for business purposes

Old Jun 13, 18, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hello everyone,

I am currently doing my Masters degree in Air Transport Management at Cranfield University and am conducting a survey on Australian people who fly domestically for business purposes for my thesis.

The survey should take less than 5 minutes to complete, so I would appreciate it very much if you could take the time to do it. The link is below.

An Analysis of the Australian Domestic Business Market Survey

Once the survey is complete at the end of June, anyone who wishes to see the results can let me know and I'll send them on. You are welcome to share the survey link (at bottom) with anyone who travels for business reasons. If you have any questions, please leave them below.

Thanks in advance for your time, I really appreciate it!

Kind regards,

Trent Nickson
Air Transport Management Student
Cranfield University
https://cranfielduniversity.eu.qualt...wrF2LCSuwU1IoZ
Old Jun 13, 18, 6:53 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] Thanks Trent for posting this. I would appreciate if this flow of information is not a one-way street but if you could share the results with the FT community once completed. [/mod hat]
Old Jun 14, 18, 8:05 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Cross posting is not allowed on FT and you should know. Posting supposedly university survey without link to participant consent sheet and without link to ethics approval makes me feel rather suspicious.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 14, 18, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
Cross posting is not allowed on FT and you should know. Posting supposedly university survey without link to participant consent sheet and without link to ethics approval makes me feel rather suspicious.
Good points. And to add that the actual survey is almost trivial in scope and design - would appear to be very lightweight for a masters degree thesis!

Of course, it may be totally legit - perhaps such questions easily addressed by the OP by providing more information?
Old Jun 15, 18, 1:08 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
[mod hat] Not cross posted anymore. The easiest solution is to move the thread to the destination forum which I will do now. [/mod hat]
Old Jun 15, 18, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer View Post
[mod hat] Thanks Trent for posting this. I would appreciate if this flow of information is not a one-way street but if you could share the results with the FT community once completed. [/mod hat]
Yes, I am happy to share the results of the survey once it's completed at the end of the month.

With regards to the other questions raised...

Ethics approval was granted by Cranfield University - we are required to seek approval prior to sending out a survey. It is a process where by I have to fill in details, sign it and then my thesis supervisor must approve it. A consent form is not required as there is no personal data being collected.

The goal of the survey is to see whether Australian business travellers would switch to a new airline in Australia if one entered the market. My thesis is on the Australian Domestic Business Market - Implications for New Entrants. The propensity to switch and the reasons why or why not is what I am looking for here. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Old Jun 15, 18, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightDetective View Post
The goal of the survey is to see whether Australian business travellers would switch to a new airline in Australia if one entered the market. My thesis is on the Australian Domestic Business Market - Implications for New Entrants. The propensity to switch and the reasons why or why not is what I am looking for here. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.
One newish airline just failed, after trying to expand:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JETGO_Australia

Another failure (with a good livery):- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Australia

Another failure. flying at tough time:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OzJet

Taken over by QF, after head to head route competition:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_Airlines

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 16, 18 at 5:32 am Reason: Added impluse
Old Jun 15, 18, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
One newish airline just failed, after trying to expand:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JETGO_Australia

Another failure (with a good livery):- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Australia

Another failure. flying at tough time:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OzJet
Thank you for that! It's one reason I'm doing this particular topic. Theoretically there should be room for another airline to compete as the regulatory environment when it comes to ownership is favourable, plus the major trunk routes should be dense enough to support it, but consumer habits, infrastructure constraints (terminals etc), the national love for Qantas and so on sort of conspire against it. I'll be showing both the reasons for and against new airlines entering the market in the thesis.
Old Jun 16, 18, 4:57 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Yes, I am happy to share the results of the survey once it's completed at the end of the month.

With regards to the other questions raised...

Ethics approval was granted by Cranfield University - we are required to seek approval prior to sending out a survey. It is a process where by I have to fill in details, sign it and then my thesis supervisor must approve it. A consent form is not required as there is no personal data being collected.

I have seen other "questionable" surveys from this particular university... The "proper" universities do ask the researchers to post the conditions of the ethics approval with their surveys... Those who do not, I consider "shonky"...
Old Jun 16, 18, 5:00 am

If the ethics approval was granted, can you share it here? I will happily challenge it!
Old Jun 16, 18, 9:46 am
Original Poster

If the ethics approval was granted, can you share it here? I will happily challenge it!
Sure - the relevant text in the approval e-mail reads as follows -

Title: An Analysis of the Australian Domestic business market - implications for new entrants

Thank you for your application to the Cranfield University Research Ethics System (CURES).

Your proposed research activity has been confirmed as Level 2b risk in terms of research ethics. You may now proceed with the research activities you have sought approval for.

Please remember that CURES occasionally conducts audits of projects. We may therefore contact you during or following execution of your fieldwork.

I hope this helps!
Old Jun 16, 18, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I filled out your survey, OP.

Last edited by bensyd; Jun 16, 18 at 11:15 am
Old Jun 17, 18, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
I filled out your survey, OP.
Thanks very much, I really appreciate it!!!
Old Jun 20, 18, 5:17 am
Hvr

Programs: QC WP/OWE, LTG:
I have to say you really don't seem to understand the Australian government flying rules. No FF points are to be awarded or accepted. Generally the employee has no input into the airline chosen.

It is BFOD aka Best Fare Of the Day with minor consideration given if travelling with someone else who has already booked a specific flight.
Old Jun 21, 18, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hvr View Post
I have to say you really don't seem to understand the Australian government flying rules. No FF points are to be awarded or accepted. Generally the employee has no input into the airline chosen.

It is BFOD aka Best Fare Of the Day with minor consideration given if travelling with someone else who has already booked a specific flight.
Thank you for pointing that out. I just had a look at the Australian Government travel web site and it's quite informative. I see status credits can still be accrued but not points - I really appreciate the heads up. It's all a work in progress and this is going to provide another layer into my work.

Search this Thread