Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Bridge Climb

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Sydney Bridge Climb

Apologies if this has been asked. I did a search, but didn't see a recent thread. But as this seems like a big thing for Sydney, I'd be surprised if there isn't a thread...

Has anyone done it? Is it worth it? The prices are a bit steep:

Sampler (1-1/2 hour): $168

Full climb, day: $303
Full climb, night: $263
Full climb, twilight: $368
Full climb, dawn: $388

It sounds like you can't bring a phone or camera, and they charge $30+ more for pictures.

So I have to ask, if I decide to do it, would it be worth the extra $60-80 for the twilight or dawn climb?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:01 pm

We just did this in February. I have to say it was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had. I highly recommend it. At first I was annoyed with the no phone policy but once up there it is freeing to actually experience something for a change rather than take a million pictures.

A quick tip is to save your money and not do the twilight upcharge. We took the latest day slot available. The whole thing lasts three hours so you’ll climb up in the daytime, get twilight at the top, and it’ll be dark by the time you get down. So you really do get the best of both without the extra charge. In fact our guide mentioned that same thing when we were on our tour.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I did the twilight years ago. I think it was 2001. It's a great experience. Well worth the money. You can't take anything with you because there's a highway right under you. You're also locked on a tether the entire time. I'd defintely spend a bit extra to get the twilight summit.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I did it 12 or so years ago. It was fine. Im a recovering rock climber, so it was pretty ho-hum. In fact annoying. The views were great. Listening to people squeal and shuffling along a fixed tether was the issue.

Last year with my wife we skipped it. (She isnt a climber.)

Maybe a helicopter tour of the harbor would give you more views (and pictures)? Although arguably the slow pace of the climb does allow the views to permeate your brain.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Another vote for doing the final day climb to get the best of both. A great experience and something to tick off in Sydney.
As someone who has lived in SYD all my life I thought the perspective from the top of the bridge was absolutely breathtaking so I would imagine for a tourists it would be on another level.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I’ve done it twice and would recommend it to anyone. Although the prices have increased sharply from both of my climbs. If that trend continues, they may need to start offering a financing option!

The advice to book one of the last climbing slots at daytime pricing is good, although you won’t go wrong if you climb earlier in the day either.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
I have done it and liked it. I would not recommend the sampler as I don't think you go to the top, just through the bridge a bit. I did the express climb and I want to do it again and do the full at some point. You cannot take anything with you - no phone, camera, go pro, nothing. They do take pictures at the top and other spots along the way (for the view, not of the people). They also take a few short videos for you. It is a saftey issue. I thought it was worthwhile and fun but yes, it is a bit costly.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I
Maybe a helicopter tour of the harbor would give you more views (and pictures)? Although arguably the slow pace of the climb does allow the views to permeate your brain.
A seaplane tour would actually work out cheaper. The trip up to the Cottage Point Inn with a three course lunch would be a pretty good way to see the harbour and Pittwater.
trooper and rtgta like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:06 am

And for those with a historical bent... a floatplane from Rose Bay at least takes off from where the Empire Class Flying Boats departed.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trooper
And for those with a historical bent... a floatplane from Rose Bay at least takes off from where the Empire Class Flying Boats departed.
See my location.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by bensyd
A seaplane tour would actually work out cheaper. The trip up to the Cottage Point Inn with a three course lunch would be a pretty good way to see the harbour and Pittwater.
Thanks for the suggestion! I think we'll do the bridge climb, but may do something like this too...either in Sydney, Melbourne, or even Cairns (the 3 places we'll be visiting). Can you see the Great Barrier Reef from the air?

Years ago, my partner was celebrating a milestone birthday, but his father was ill and in the hospital so we didn't want to go anywhere. I had arranged with a flight training school for a flight from metro Phoenix (Chandler specifically) up to Sedona and back. Since it was a training aircraft, we also each had the chance to actually fly (he did going up, I did on the return). We landed in Sedona, had a late breakfast, then returned. I think the whole thing was about 3-4 hours, and the cost was about US$200-250, which doesn't seem so bad, especially compared with the cost of the bridge climb.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by aztimm
Thanks for the suggestion! I think we'll do the bridge climb, but may do something like this too...either in Sydney, Melbourne, or even Cairns (the 3 places we'll be visiting). Can you see the Great Barrier Reef from the air?
Sure you CAN see the reef from the air. Although the best views begin just under sea level....

Sydney from the air is truly dramatic. I dont know, but my impression is that Mel and CNS are (much) less so. Although if there is a 'fly out, snorkel, fly back outing' that would be cool (if you arent otherwise headed out to the reef)

Sydney Seaplanes for some options
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:13 pm

I did it last October and did the full, daytime climb. It was very pretty and not terribly hard (I am not especially fit). I don't know if it was worth $300, but I'm generally glad I did it. I bought the picture package in advance and was glad for it, so I'd have proof of my adventure.

I did, however, make the mistake of wearing Snap Spectacles - sunglasses with a built-in snapchat camera that my teen son loaned me to take with to send him pics (edit: intended for pics of trip, not specifically for pics of bridge - no intended breaking of rules). I kept them on because they said we could keep our sunglasses and they were the sunglasses I was wearing. They noticed about halfway through and freaked out. The guide then confiscated them halfway up the bridge. Then at the bottom, a person dressed it business attire with communication device in ear met me at my locker and made me open my phone to verify no snapchat pics from bridge were on my phone and them lectured me about Australian national security.

Um.... so, really don't wear anything that has a built-in camera device.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Sure you CAN see the reef from the air. Although the best views begin just under sea level....

Sydney from the air is truly dramatic. I dont know, but my impression is that Mel and CNS are (much) less so. Although if there is a 'fly out, snorkel, fly back outing' that would be cool (if you arent otherwise headed out to the reef)

Sydney Seaplanes for some options
I agree with that. The GBR is best experienced in the water, not flying above it. There's nothing that special about Melbourne from the air. It's flat as a tack and set on a wide, open bay. Sydney is beautiful from the air.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Originally Posted by manda99
I did it last October and did the full, daytime climb. It was very pretty and not terribly hard (I am not especially fit). I don't know if it was worth $300, but I'm generally glad I did it. I bought the picture package in advance and was glad for it, so I'd have proof of my adventure.

I did, however, make the mistake of wearing Snap Spectacles - sunglasses with a built-in snapchat camera that my teen son loaned me to take with to send him pics (edit: intended for pics of trip, not specifically for pics of bridge - no intended breaking of rules). I kept them on because they said we could keep our sunglasses and they were the sunglasses I was wearing. They noticed about halfway through and freaked out. The guide then confiscated them halfway up the bridge. Then at the bottom, a person dressed it business attire with communication device in ear met me at my locker and made me open my phone to verify no snapchat pics from bridge were on my phone and them lectured me about Australian national security.

Um.... so, really don't wear anything that has a built-in camera device.
wow, how is Australian national; security jeopardized with you climbing a bridge with a camera is beyond me but I guess rules are rules. thanks for the datapoint though , I am torn between bridge climb and sea plane tour for my trip and I guess I am going to go with seaplane tour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.