FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Raratonga Transfer Desk? (2hr separate ticket - will i make it?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1912509-raratonga-transfer-desk-2hr-separate-ticket-will-i-make.html)

mcavin Jun 3, 2018 7:51 pm

Raratonga Transfer Desk? (2hr separate ticket - will i make it?)

Looking at saving several hundred dollars on an LAX-AKL ticket by ticketing separately LAX-RAR (AirNZ 772), 2hr layover, then RAR-AKL (back on the same AirNZ772).

Never been to RAR and unfortunately this won't be the trip to stop and see it.

Is there an international transfer desk in RAR (that doesn't require immigration)? I likely won't be able to check in RAR-AKL until arrival, with AirNZ check-in rules stipulating 90-min check in. May have checked bags.... eeek.

Kiwi Flyer Jun 3, 2018 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by mcavin (Post 29825368)
Looking at saving several hundred dollars on an LAX-AKL ticket by ticketing separately LAX-RAR (AirNZ 772), 2hr layover, then RAR-AKL (back on the same AirNZ772).

Never been to RAR and unfortunately this won't be the trip to stop and see it.

Is there an international transfer desk in RAR (that doesn't require immigration)? I likely won't be able to check in RAR-AKL until arrival, with AirNZ check-in rules stipulating 90-min check in. May have checked bags.... eeek.

It has been a few years since I visited RAR but would be surprised if there is a transfer desk. There wasn't when I flew there. It is a small airport with not many flights.

In any case flying Air NZ they will not allow through check bags across separate tickets so you will need to clear immigration and re-check in.

Immigration is fast if you can beat the queues.

number_6 Jun 7, 2018 8:52 pm

Chances are you will get to see RAR as checkin will be closed by the time you get your bags. I was last in RAR a decade ago, and definitely no transfer desk then, unlikely to be added as there isn't much transfer traffic and they are happy to have visitors. Air NZ is pretty hardline about separate tickets, dont expect any favours. Your plan makes sense if you wanted a stopover in RAR, but of course the LAX-RAR-AKL flight isn't daily, but you can fly RAR-AKL-RAR with Jetstar or Virgin as well as NZ.

RustyC Jun 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Yeah, that's a real bummer that you don't get to stay. It's a nice island with a couple of pretty good beaches and good "Island night" options for food/entertainment. It has a lot of the Tahiti experience at half the cost.

mcavin Jun 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Thanks all. I think I’ll make a new plan that allows some time in RAR