Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia in late December/ January

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Australia in late December/ January

Hi guys,

we will be visiting Australia in late December/ early January and would love to get your 2c on our itinerary.

Us: 2 women, late 20s/early 30s
Meh: long hikes, dirty bathrooms

Dec 27 4:55PM BNE arrival

Dec 28
1. Hit Lone Pine from 9AM - 10:30AM
2. 12:45PM VA 1497 to HTI
3. Beach Club Hotel

Dec 29 Hamilton Island, snorkel & dive weather permitting
Dec 30 Hamilton Island, snorkel & dive weather permitting
Dec 31 12:30PM QF 867 HTI -> SYD
For the NYE, my local friend suggested: NYE Opera Gala, Lord Mayor Party (if it's still around), Taronga Zoo, Cruise

Hotels: We have booking on Westin @ Martin Pl & Sheraton on the Park - debating which one to keep

Jan 1 Sydney (make take an uber to Bondi to people-watch drunk passed out people in the morning)
Jan 2 Sydney
Jan 3 Sydney (wouldn't mind driving out to Blue Mountains to see some mob of roos) Maybe Bawley Pt/Pebbly Beach or Hunter Valley, but might be too far for our short schedule
Jan 4 Sydney
Jan 5 9:40PM SYD Departure
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Qantas, Velocity
Hi,

I can't comment on the hotels, as I've never had occasion to stay in Sydney hotels except airport ones. As for the rest, I would say NYE with a view of Sydney Harbour would be awesome, especially the midnight fireworks on the Bridge. See if either of your hotels has a good view. They may not be anywhere near, but it's worth checking.

Don't forget it's going to be STINKING hot, unless you're really lucky. Dress accordingly, hydrate and don't forget the sunscreen. We still have the hole in the ozone layer to contend with. The Blue Mountains tends to be cooler, but don't forget it's bushfire season so don't count on being able to go. The Hunter Valley is best known for its wineries. A lot of Aussies like to go there because it has quite nice scenery I am told. I don't know; I've probably been there at some stage of my life but certainly not for many years.

School holidays start around December 20 and go till about the end of January so be prepared for places like the zoo to be quite busy.

I hope you enjoy your stay!
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
There are day tours to the Hunter Valley wineries. I recommend that. They are organised with the wineries so your time is well used. We did this several years ago and it was memorable.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by samwise6222
For the NYE, my local friend suggested: NYE Opera Gala, Lord Mayor Party (if it's still around), Taronga Zoo, Cruise
It really depends on what sort of vibe you're after. Sooo....what sort of vibe are you after? I'd say Taronga Zoo will be the most geared more toward families, while the Opera Gala will be at the other end. The best value, imo, is the Botanical Gardens Foundation and Friends picnic. (although I think it's all port-a-loos which may not pass your clean bathroom test)

Hotels: We have booking on Westin @ Martin Pl & Sheraton on the Park - debating which one to keep
They're both good hotels in good spots, neither will have a view of the fireworks. Martin Place is marginally more centrally located,

Jan 1 Sydney (make take an uber to Bondi to people-watch drunk passed out people in the morning)
Jan 2 Sydney
Jan 3 Sydney (wouldn't mind driving out to Blue Mountains to see some mob of roos) Maybe Bawley Pt/Pebbly Beach or Hunter Valley, but might be too far for our short schedule
Jan 4 Sydney
Jan 5 9:40PM SYD Departure
You'll be spoiled for choice looking for casualties from the night before. Bondi will be heaving on New Year's Day. Watson's Bay Hotel is pretty good fun on NYD, and an easy ferry ride back to Circular Quay. The Hunter would be a nice day trip, as would the Blue Mountains. You could always do both. And don't forget the new years test match starts on the 4th.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
If you get on the Opera Australia email list you'll find out when Opera House Gala tickets go on sale. I've done it, great experience.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
If you get on the Opera Australia email list you'll find out when Opera House Gala tickets go on sale. I've done it, great experience.
Done. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bensyd
It really depends on what sort of vibe you're after. Sooo....what sort of vibe are you after? I'd say Taronga Zoo will be the most geared more toward families, while the Opera Gala will be at the other end. The best value, imo, is the Botanical Gardens Foundation and Friends picnic. (although I think it's all port-a-loos which may not pass your clean bathroom test)
At this point, I'd say that we are leaning towards the Opera Gala - we are classy gals you know (plus I can't imagine coming back from Taronga Zoo after midnight)

They're both good hotels in good spots, neither will have a view of the fireworks. Martin Place is marginally more centrally located,
We've decided to go with the Sheraton - since it was cheaper I've done Ivy -> Sheraton walk at 3AM before and it wasn't too bad I remember.

You'll be spoiled for choice looking for casualties from the night before. Bondi will be heaving on New Year's Day. Watson's Bay Hotel is pretty good fun on NYD, and an easy ferry ride back to Circular Quay. The Hunter would be a nice day trip, as would the Blue Mountains. You could always do both. And don't forget the new years test match starts on the 4th.
Will def consider those! The only rugby games I've been are the 7s. How does it compare? haha

Last edited by samwise6222; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:51 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've decided to go with the Sheraton - since it was cheaper I've done Ivy -> Sheraton walk at 3AM before and it wasn't too bad I remember.
You're all sorted then! Impressive you remembered the 3am stumble.

Will def consider those! The only rugby games I've been are the 7s. How does it compare? haha
Well it's cricket, not rugby for starters. I'd say it'd be like a Yankees doubleheader. A cricket test goes for five days, which is probably a bit extreme. I've taken Americans before, and usually take them for the last session of the day from 4-6pm so they can say they've been watch a bit of the game, and then head for beers in Paddington.

Re Taronga, I'm pretty sure they have ferries back to Circular Quay after midnight, but I agree with that the gala is probably the better fit.

Last edited by bensyd; Apr 18, 2018 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Well it's cricket, not rugby for starters. .
Oh god - I must delete this thread.

To be fair - when I went to a Hawthorn v Swans game a while ago, I thought I was watching rugby

Last edited by samwise6222; Apr 18, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:14 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Shangri-la is the hotel to book for NYE if you can afford it. The bar at Opera House has a great event in past years though the prices have been going up thanks to the wealth of Sydney https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowT...uth_Wales.html
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
For the Sydney part of the Itinerary.
Jan 1 , You'll have no problem finding those struggling after NYE at Bondi , maybe take the Coastal Walk around the Headland to Tamarama , just under a Mile so not overly long , some nice coastal views
Jan 2 , Ferry to Watsons Bay , Fish and Chips from Doyles on the Beach. Ferry back to Circular Quay, then Ferry to Taronga Zoo.
Jan 3, Blue Mtns
Jan 4, Hunter Valley.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I would really consider the botanic garden parties as well. There are several of them with music food and a beautiful view. We did midnight at the oasis..we are a bit older than you but there were people of all ages it was really well done and organized good food ...you can gett on their email list too for when reservations open. We had considered the opera gala as well but wanted to spend more of the evening outside rather than in. Whatever you decide it will be great. If you want to do something at the opera house they had a 90 minute concert on the first for a very reasonable price at 5pm ..the city is up by then...
samwise6222 likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone... greatly appreciated!
Old May 2, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Pre-sale for Opera House NYE is on for about 24 more hours!
Old May 2, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Pre-sale for Opera House NYE is on for about 24 more hours!
HMMM $1300 for the cheapest seats (for 2). Suddenly questioning my choices.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HMMM $1300 for the cheapest seats (for 2). Suddenly questioning my choices.
Looks like $349 is the cheapest pp.

eta: oh wait you have to book a show too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.