Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ in Late November -- Itinerary Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
For anyone booking a helicopter tour for the glaciers, just be aware that these tours are very often canceled due to weather conditions. Even strong winds on a clear day can cancel these tours. Since the 2015 fatal crash at Fox Glacier they have been much more quick to cancel tours even on days which might appear fine to the average tourist.

I went to Frans Joseph for two days, both beautiful and clear, without a cloud in the sky, but the heli tours were not running due to wind. So we never got to go up. And there isn't much else to do in town either, except hiking (which we did and it was lovely, but required a fair amount of fitness).

Just something to keep in mind before you make your plans, I wouldn't bend over backwards to get a half day in one of these places for a heli tour, because you might come up empty-handed.
That is a great reminder and something I will factor in while finalizing the trip. What about cruise and ferry tours to Milford / Doubtful sound and Mt.Cook / Frans-Joseph, are they allowed to operate on a day when heli tours isn't permitted ? I'd reckon they would be but I want to clarify that as well.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
A ferry or cruise would be much more likely to run than the helicopter tours. I don't know much about their weather policies though.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rtgta
Can you give some more details about Day 4 accommodation, I am putting together a very similar itinerary with about 2 more days as you have.

Were you planning to stay at the scenic lodge on day 4, I looked through quite a few tours of Franz Josef / Fox Glacier and Mt. Cook and I believe there's one by Glaciertours, which is a 40 min heli tour of all three of those places (although a bit pricey but reasonable for a 40min heli tour). Let me know if you found a other tours and/or better ways.
Honestly, the lodges at Mt Cook didn't look all that appealing. They seemed generally functional and clean, but absolutely nothing special in any sense (at least the ones I looked into). Even the Hermitage seems incredibly overpriced and not overly pleasant, based on the reviews I've read.

In any event, we are staying at a small property near Twizel called Skyscape. It's around $450 US per night, but it seems like a pretty unique experience. As far as tours, I haven't done a lot of research on that yet. If we do a flight, it would probably be a ski plane tour of Mt Cook and maybe a glacier landing. There are short plane tours without a glacier landing for $190/pp, which is pretty reasonable.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I went to Frans Joseph for two days, both beautiful and clear, without a cloud in the sky, but the heli tours were not running due to wind. So we never got to go up. And there isn't much else to do in town either, except hiking (which we did and it was lovely, but required a fair amount of fitness).
Thanks for the advice. Our first choice for that day is probably to hike the Hooker Valley Track anyhow. We might end up doing a short flight, but I think we might enjoy the hike just as much as (if not more than) a flight. That said, we're both young and fit (wife runs marathons), so no worries about a short 5km-10km hike.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Originally Posted by swingaling
Honestly, the lodges at Mt Cook didn't look all that appealing. They seemed generally functional and clean, but absolutely nothing special in any sense (at least the ones I looked into). Even the Hermitage seems incredibly overpriced and not overly pleasant, based on the reviews I've read.

In any event, we are staying at a small property near Twizel called Skyscape. It's around $450 US per night, but it seems like a pretty unique experience. As far as tours, I haven't done a lot of research on that yet. If we do a flight, it would probably be a ski plane tour of Mt Cook and maybe a glacier landing. There are short plane tours without a glacier landing for $190/pp, which is pretty reasonable.

Thanks for the advice. Our first choice for that day is probably to hike the Hooker Valley Track anyhow. We might end up doing a short flight, but I think we might enjoy the hike just as much as (if not more than) a flight. That said, we're both young and fit (wife runs marathons), so no worries about a short 5km-10km hike.
That is exactly why I asked you, even Hermitage was just okayish for the price. I was leaning towards driving back to ZQN and other option would be to do a day trip from ZQN to CHC with stops in Mt.Cook village but that might turn into a very long day Mt.Cook tour are contingent on weather. I looked into Skyscape and I holy-moly its going to be an amazing experience but sadly with 2 nights min at ~450USD/night that is not something I would be able to do but I am trying to find something more affordable, please let me know if you are aware of something cheaper.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rtgta
That is exactly why I asked you, even Hermitage was just okayish for the price. I was leaning towards driving back to ZQN and other option would be to do a day trip from ZQN to CHC with stops in Mt.Cook village but that might turn into a very long day Mt.Cook tour are contingent on weather. I looked into Skyscape and I holy-moly its going to be an amazing experience but sadly with 2 nights min at ~450USD/night that is not something I would be able to do but I am trying to find something more affordable, please let me know if you are aware of something cheaper.
Yeah, it's a bit pricey. We found a pretty nice apartment in ZQN for our other nights for around $200/night. It's a much better value than the chain hotels in ZQN we looked at.

Alternatively, you could stay near Tekapo. It's a lot closer to Mt Cook than ZQN.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
I did promise to update as travel plans firmed up...

Flying AKL-ZQN on 9 Nov (flexitime ticket to try and cover DOH-AKL arrival early/ late)
Two nights at Hilton Queenstown (start to recover from jet lag and do local stuff)
Three nights Glenorchy (Blanket Bay - pushing the boat well out here) from where we'll do Milford/ Doubtful Sound (flexible I hope for weather) and local stuff.
(Local stuff includes: wine tour, botanic gardens and wildlife, lake steamer, admiring mountain scenery)
Slight divergence from original ideas - two nights at Hilton Auckland to include Waiheke Island and the city. The return flight ZQN-AKL is booked flexi+ in case weather means we need an extra day to achieve the 'must-do' stuff in South Island.
Hotels are all booked, and the tours will start to be booked in next month (as necessary).

That's where we're at, thanks to all on the thread for help and suggestions!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: RFC
That said, we're both young and fit (wife runs marathons), so no worries about a short 5km-10km hike.
While the Hooker Valley track is a doddle, don't underestimate the demands of NZ tracks - they are all rated by how demanding they are, not by length. A "short 5-10km hike" is not easy when your vertical might be 1000m....
CPMaverick and swingaling like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:18 pm

There are many nice accommodation at Lake Tekapo with nice scenery. Day trip to Mount Cook is possible from Tekapo.
Yeah, it's a bit pricey. We found a pretty nice apartment in ZQN for our other nights for around $200/night. It's a much better value than the chain hotels in ZQN we looked at.

Alternatively, you could stay near Tekapo. It's a lot closer to Mt Cook than ZQN.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:06 pm

Does anyone have a preferred Milford Sound Flight and Cruise tour operator?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Does anyone have a preferred Milford Sound Flight and Cruise tour operator?
We used Milford Sound Flights and it was great. I've also heard good things about Air Milford, though I have no personal experience with them.

For the cruise, we used Mitre Peak Cruises, which was arranged by MSF as part of their Fly-Cruise-Fly package. Would definitely recommend them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.