Australian Islands

Old Mar 15, 18, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Question Australian Islands

1)
For anyone who has been before, can you share about the main differences (...and your favorites!) between these islands:
- Lord Howe Island
- Norfolk Island
- Kangaroo Island, South Australia
- Freycinet, Tasmania
- Hamilton Island

2)
How would these compare to the beach destinations in Western Australia? (i.e. Margaret River, Esperance, Exmouth, etc)?

3)
From everything listed above, what is your subjective favorite(s)? (...based on whatever you'd like). :-)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old Mar 15, 18, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirFjord View Post
1)
For anyone who has been before, can you share about the main differences (...and your favorites!) between these islands:
- Lord Howe Island
- Norfolk Island
- Kangaroo Island, South Australia
- Freycinet, Tasmania
- Hamilton Island

2)
How would these compare to the beach destinations in Western Australia? (i.e. Margaret River, Esperance, Exmouth, etc)?

3)
From everything listed above, what is your subjective favorite(s)? (...based on whatever you'd like). :-)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

What research have you done?
Looked at wikipedia? Google search?

Hamilton Island is resort (that's not hard to find)

Freycinet island is off Western Australia:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freycinet_Island
Freycinet Peninsula is part of Tasmania https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freycinet_Peninsula

Your questions are too open ended to get meaningful response.
Old Mar 15, 18, 4:51 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
You were thinking of moving to Australia so why not check them all out?

You never answered 2 key questions in your last thread which was how much can you afford and under what visa would you stay in Australia?

Your questions are so open ended in this thread that itís impossible to give an answer. What research have you yourself?
Mwenenzi and CPMaverick like this.
Old Mar 15, 18, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your kind responses. We have done extensive research online. And, yes, we are planning on checking them all out. (FYI - I'm sure you'll understand if I prefer to keep financial/personal information offline. Thank you for understanding).

Regarding open-ended conversation ... this is deliberate. As noted above, I am seeking subjective favorite(s) from people who have been. (...just as I would ask a local, or a chef, about any favorites when in-person).

As I have never been, I would humbly welcome any thoughts / reactions from people who have actually been there, before we invest in multiple journeys. (...not just Google / wiki / image comparisons).

Similar to all people ... we don't know what we don't know. So, rather than limiting my 'ask' to my own limited knowledge ... any open-ended insights / local preferences from people with 1st-hand experience is greatly appreciated. (... asked in the same spirit of the popular question: "So chef ... what's good on the menu? What's the local favorite dish? ... etc).

Thanks again for your kindness and insights.

[NB ... as noted above ... Freycinet, Tasmania].
Old Mar 15, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Don't forget about Christmas Island and Cocos/Keeling Islands

As others have noted, the question is very very broad. It's like asking for a full report and comparison on each of these islands, while you offer no details as to who you are or why you want to know. Knowing your audience is an important part of forums like this. Of course some will type novels and maybe you'll get one of these people, but otherwise it feels like a waste of time for most. The 'main differences' between these islands are easily researched. The subtleties of each destination, once you've gone that far, is what makes this forum great.

Australia is a big place and these islands are remarkably different from each other. It's not like asking the Chef what is on the menu. It's like walking into the Grocery Store and saying, 'what do you like to buy here?'

I've been to most of these islands, but preference is subjective. I am happy to answer more specific inquiries.
Old Mar 15, 18, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Don't forget about Christmas Island and Cocos/Keeling Islands

As others have noted, the question is very very broad. It's like asking for a full report and comparison on each of these islands, while you offer no details as to who you are or why you want to know. Knowing your audience is an important part of forums like this. Of course some will type novels and maybe you'll get one of these people, but otherwise it feels like a waste of time for most. The 'main differences' between these islands are easily researched. The subtleties of each destination, once you've gone that far, is what makes this forum great.

Australia is a big place and these islands are remarkably different from each other. It's not like asking the Chef what is on the menu. It's like walking into the Grocery Store and saying, 'what do you like to buy here?'

I've been to most of these islands, but preference is subjective. I am happy to answer more specific inquiries.
Hi CPMaverick! Thank you for your kindness and insight. I always try to spread positivity, kindness, and gratitude. Thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully respond, provide context, and for your offer to be helpful.

I will rest my conversation here so as not to draw any additional negativity.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 15, 18, 7:07 pm

It isn't that you need to rest the conversation, just give us a little more to work with. Make the dialogue two ways, tell us what you've found in your research about these places and what your thoughts are. People are much quicker to engage once there is a feeling that they are also getting something from the conversation.
Old Mar 15, 18, 8:09 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Most people would consider Lord Howe Island to be the most special to visit (not just in Australia; it would make a "top 10 islands in the world" list ... imho. Otherwise the stunning choices in Oz are the GBR islands, some can be reaosnably cheap (Heron, Lizard) and some can be expensive (Hayman). Hamilton is mass market, pretty nice for what it is but not what islands in Oz are about
Old Mar 15, 18, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Most people would consider Lord Howe Island to be the most special to visit (not just in Australia; it would make a "top 10 islands in the world" list ... imho.
Interesting opinion, I don't hear it mentioned as so highly rated in Australia. Definitely on my list though, haven't been yet.
Old Mar 16, 18, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi All, Thank you again for your kindness. I am grateful for your feedback.

Before we continue, please think kindness in your hearts. I'm not looking for additional hostility or chiding around "how I should better ask my questions". I understand now. Thank you. [If that is the type of feedback on your heart, feel free to save your time].

So, let's try this again. For the love of sharing travel experiance and education, here's hoping for kindness and positivity both in my intent and any potential responses.

For context: In advance of this post, I have researched various topics online about each location mentioned above and below. Topics including:

-Political Geography
-Physical Geography
-Demographics / Population / density
-Tourism / Prices / Local economy
-Climate
-Nature vs. culture activities
-International affairs
-etc

NB ... My intent in this post and potential dialogue is education. Once educated, this will help inform any potential travel plans. (...not the other way round).

1)
For anyone who has been before, which island did you enjoy more:

- Lord Howe Island
- Norfolk Island

(Regardless of the reasons for your visit or your personal preferences ...I understand that we are different people and have different preferences in life/travel. I am simply asking a deliberate open-ended subjective questions. Which did YOU enjoy more?). Feel free to provide a one-word answer of the location, or provide additional context. Both are greatly appreciated.

2)
For anyone who has been before, which Western Australia location did you enjoy more:

- Margaret River
- Esperance

(Again ... I understand that we are different people and have different preferences in life/travel. I am simply asking a deliberate open-ended subjective questions. Which did YOU enjoy more?).

Please think kind thoughts. I am grateful for any insights you might be willing to share. I am not looking for any hostility or chiding around "how I should better ask my questions". If that type of feedback is in your heart, please save your time from typing it). If you would like to share any actual feedback regarding which locations YOU enjoyed above, your kindness is greatly appreciated).

Kindness, Love and Gratitude. With respect, I appreciate you!
Old Mar 16, 18, 6:07 pm

Funny enough, there was a program on last night about Australian Islands, and they visited both Norfolk and Lord Howe Island. I have not been to either of these, so I am not meeting that part of your criteria, but they are on my list.

Lord Howe Island appears to be a Galapogos-style place, with a massive amount of unique fauna and well-preserved. Only a few hundred people live there, and tourists are strictly limited.
Norfolk Island has a very dark history, being a brutal penal colony for many years and then home to descendants of the infamous Mutiny on the Bounty. The history of the place almost overshadows the island itself, but pretty fascinating stuff. Norfolk has more of its own culture and ties to Polynesia, and has an independence movement.
Both islands are very isolated.

I have spent a lot of time in WA, and it is full of beautiful spots. But in my opinion, nothing beats Esperance (or rather, the natural beauty of the area around Esperance). It is the most beautiful part of Australia in my opinion, and feels untouched. It is worth the drive to Albany as well, lots of beautiful and pristine areas between the two. Margaret River is also beautiful and in many ways similar, but there will be more locals, more tourists, and more infrastructure. You have to seek out the pristine areas, rather than being immersed in them. Of course, the positive of Margaret River is the infrastructure, food, wine, etc.
Old Mar 16, 18, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Funny enough, there was a program on last night about Australian Islands, and they visited both Norfolk and Lord Howe Island. I have not been to either of these, so I am not meeting that part of your criteria, but they are on my list.

Lord Howe Island appears to be a Galapogos-style place, with a massive amount of unique fauna and well-preserved. Only a few hundred people live there, and tourists are strictly limited.
Norfolk Island has a very dark history, being a brutal penal colony for many years and then home to descendants of the infamous Mutiny on the Bounty. The history of the place almost overshadows the island itself, but pretty fascinating stuff. Norfolk has more of its own culture and ties to Polynesia, and has an independence movement.
Both islands are very isolated.

I have spent a lot of time in WA, and it is full of beautiful spots. But in my opinion, nothing beats Esperance (or rather, the natural beauty of the area around Esperance). It is the most beautiful part of Australia in my opinion, and feels untouched. It is worth the drive to Albany as well, lots of beautiful and pristine areas between the two. Margaret River is also beautiful and in many ways similar, but there will be more locals, more tourists, and more infrastructure. You have to seek out the pristine areas, rather than being immersed in them. Of course, the positive of Margaret River is the infrastructure, food, wine, etc.
Thank you for your time, insights and kindness!

I may have seen that same program about Australian Islands! Was it hosted by Martin Clunes? :-)

I am happy to hear your enthusiasm about Esperance! Sounds absolutely beautiful!

[ So, for a bit of fun ... if you had a "Top 3", and nothing beats Esperance ... what's your #2 & #3 top spots in Australia? :-) ]
Old Mar 18, 18, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Most people would consider Lord Howe Island to be the most special to visit (not just in Australia; it would make a "top 10 islands in the world" list ... imho. Otherwise the stunning choices in Oz are the GBR islands, some can be reaosnably cheap (Heron, Lizard) and some can be expensive (Hayman). Hamilton is mass market, pretty nice for what it is but not what islands in Oz are about
Never thought Id see 'cheap' and 'Lizard' in the same sentence.....thought lizard and hayman were general on a par with cost, but definitely a different vibe.
Old Mar 18, 18, 11:37 pm

I may have seen that same program about Australian Islands! Was it hosted by Martin Clunes? :-)
That's the one!

I am happy to hear your enthusiasm about Esperance! Sounds absolutely beautiful!

So, for a bit of fun ... if you had a "Top 3", and nothing beats Esperance ... what's your # 2 & # 3 top spots in Australia? :-)
I don't really have a ranking, I just think Esperance has the most natural beauty that I've seen here. It's too hard to rank things overall, just depends on the criteria or what someone is looking for in general (or even that day!).
Old Mar 19, 18, 3:12 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
Never thought Id see 'cheap' and 'Lizard' in the same sentence.....thought lizard and hayman were general on a par with cost, but definitely a different vibe.
Lizard prices vary, and tend to be good value, I've only stayed once and it was cheap then (under USD 1000 per night). Your post made me check and prices have doubled. Heron is still "cheap" though and well worth it! Could be worse, the Lizard villa is $6000 per night. Heron comes in at $350 per night on up to $800. And Heron is great (as long as you avoid Heron nesting season)

Search this Thread