Does AAA/CAA have reciprocal agreement with Australian counterpart?

Old Feb 24, 18, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Does AAA/CAA have reciprocal agreement with Australian counterpart?

I plan to rent car for a week in Hobart Australia.

I always like the backup of "free" backup assistance when driving in Canada/USA with my CAA card.

The question is whether AAA and CAA have a reciprocal agreement (or any agreement) whereby AAA/CAA cardholders will get "free" roadside assistance (if necessary from the Australian counterpart, when in Australia?
Old Feb 24, 18, 8:00 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I donít want to come across as unfriendly or stand offish but, have you called CAA yourself and asked them?

I would have thought they would know better than any one else...
Old Feb 24, 18, 9:26 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Every car rental that I've had in Oz (dozens but admittedly only from the majors, Hertz, Avis, Europcar) has included free on-road assistance, had thought this was just standard policy in Oz. This free coverage is unlimited distance; my AAA coverage has a distance limitation (20 miles for normal, can get longer for higher fee but max is something like 200 miles which is not long enough in some parts of Oz ).
Old Feb 24, 18, 10:27 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The equivalent organization would be RAC (Royal Automobile Club), although they seem to be separate organizations by state. So you could look there (for Tasmania): http://www.ract.com.au/

But as others have said, this question is probably best asked directly to CAA.
Old Feb 25, 18, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Every car rental that I've had in Oz (dozens but admittedly only from the majors, Hertz, Avis, Europcar) has included free on-road assistance, had thought this was just standard policy in Oz. This free coverage is unlimited distance; my AAA coverage has a distance limitation (20 miles for normal, can get longer for higher fee but max is something like 200 miles which is not long enough in some parts of Oz ).
The person at the budget toll-free number stated that there was a fee for roadside assistance - but he could have been wrong.
I will ask CAA, and get back to you. But I was hoping that someone on this bulletin board would have had personal experience with at least renting a car in Australia and learning whether the Royal Automobile Club or equivalent does give services to AAA/CAA cardholders/members.

I believe my wife has the CAA card with roadside assistance available up to 200 miles; my card (by choice) limits one to 20 miles.
Old Feb 25, 18, 7:02 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I rented from Budget recently and they offered roadside assistance at an extra fee. IIRC Hertz includes it. I don't care about that stuff so haven't paid it much attention.

Search this Thread