Is walking still the only way to get between SYD T2/3 and T1 for free?

Old Feb 19, 18, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Is walking still the only way to get between SYD T2/3 and T1 for free?

Coming in on a Virgin flight from BNE and connecting to CA to Beijing. Iíve got about 4 hours to connect so should be no issue but I want to confirm that the only way to get between these terminals without paying any AUD is a half hour walk? If so itís really piss poor on the part of the people who manage SYD. Even LHR allows use of the train between terminals for free whereas SYD seems to charge 6.50 for a 2 minute ride. I think Virgin and QF have free shuttles for their passengers but for those like me on different airlines it seems theyíve decided to stick it to us. Lame.
Old Feb 19, 18, 7:03 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Coming in on a Virgin flight from BNE and connecting to CA to Beijing. Iíve got about 4 hours to connect so should be no issue but I want to confirm that the only way to get between these terminals without paying any AUD is a half hour walk? If so itís really piss poor on the part of the people who manage SYD. Even LHR allows use of the train between terminals for free whereas SYD seems to charge 6.50 for a 2 minute ride. I think Virgin and QF have free shuttles for their passengers but for those like me on different airlines it seems theyíve decided to stick it to us. Lame.
There's a free T-Bus transfer service running between terminals. Check out https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/fli...-t-bus-service
DragonSoul likes this.
Old Feb 19, 18, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "walk", if possible, will be via side streets. You cannot walk on the same more direct busy road the cars, trucks & buses drive on.

If arriving in at SYD T3 on VA you may be able to use their bus, but if you have checked luggage you will be out of luck.

The train is not owned or controlled by the airport. Its just the regular Sydney commuter train. The $$ goes to the train operator and an has an airport access fee. The privately built airport train line went bankrupt and was taken over by the NSW government.

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
Old Feb 19, 18, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
The $$ goes to the train operator and an has an airport access fee.
Which in Sydney is still the NSW government.
Old Feb 19, 18, 9:04 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
As noted there is a free bus. Not as good as the QF bus which takes the short route across the tarmac though.

Walking might not even be possible, and it is certainly more than a 30 minute walk. It is at least 4km and I think much of the walk would be on highway with no sidewalks and not much of a shoulder. The police might pick you up (hey that might be a free ride!).
Old Feb 19, 18, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Coming in on a Virgin flight from BNE and connecting to CA to Beijing. I’ve got about 4 hours to connect so should be no issue but I want to confirm that the only way to get between these terminals without paying any AUD is a half hour walk? If so it’s really piss poor on the part of the people who manage SYD. Even LHR allows use of the train between terminals for free whereas SYD seems to charge 6.50 for a 2 minute ride. I think Virgin and QF have free shuttles for their passengers but for those like me on different airlines it seems they’ve decided to stick it to us. Lame.
I'm trying to work out how you'd manage the walk. You pretty much need to be on the bike path that starts at the end of Coward Street (in the carpark of Toll Global Forwarding) and then runs along the canal to the international terminal.

Looks like it would be more like 1 hour or so to walk.

The are substantial parts of Airport Drive with no curb. I would think if you were walking there, on the road, and the police see you, they will stop and pick you up.
Old Feb 19, 18, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
I'm trying to work out how you'd manage the walk. You pretty much need to be on the bike path that starts at the end of Coward Street (in the carpark of Toll Global Forwarding) and then runs along the canal to the international terminal.

Looks like it would be more like 1 hour or so to walk..
Some thing like this?
https://goo.gl/maps/vYFjDzYSWKQ2
Old Feb 19, 18, 11:39 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Some thing like this?
https://goo.gl/maps/vYFjDzYSWKQ2
This is the bike path route referred to. Still about an hour, and I'm not sure if you can walk on some of these roads (particularly the roads in and out of the terminals).
https://goo.gl/maps/QTV9nYi8TeB2
Old Feb 20, 18, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I seem to remember runnng along that road between the terminals when I stayed at one of the airport hotels 7 or 8 years ago which is why I figured I could walk it if the weather cooperated. Anyhow, it looks like the paid shuttle has become a free shuttle bus so Iíll take that instead.
Old Feb 20, 18, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
This is the bike path route referred to. Still about an hour, and I'm not sure if you can walk on some of these roads (particularly the roads in and out of the terminals).
https://goo.gl/maps/QTV9nYi8TeB2
Yes this is the path I meant. I'm pretty sure you can get to the bike path if you take the pedestrian crossing/s where the Customs Building, next to the express pick up area. Once you're on the bike path, you can definitely walk the rest of the way to domestic.
Old Feb 23, 18, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post

Looks like it would be more like 1 hour or so to walk.

The are substantial parts of Airport Drive with no curb. I would think if you were walking there, on the road, and the police see you, they will stop and pick you up.
I thought there was no curb too. So I'm not going crazy.

I wouldn't do this walk either.

Search this Thread