A few questions about AKL

Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
A few questions about AKL

My wife and I have about 7.5 hour between a domestic arrival at AKL, and an international departure checkin time (flight is about 3.5 hours after the checkin time). Owing to the fact that we are on separate tickets with different airlines, we will have to collect and store our luggage at AKL before heading off somewhere to visit.

We will arrive in AKL at about 1:00, and I figure that it might take about an hour to collect our bags and bring them to the international terminal and store them. So we are looking at departing AKL at around 2:00, and we will then have about 6.5-7.5 hours to explore a bit, retrieve our luggage and then checkin. (Next stop would be the Strata lounge for a shower).

Any advice about good things to do in AKL between 2:30 and 7:30 PM? Looks like the museum closes at 5:00.

We would plan to take a cab or Uber. Is there free wifi available in the landsides area of AKL?

Many thanks for your advice!

Last edited by 747FC; Feb 19, 2018 at 8:04 pm Reason: Spellingg
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
My wife and I have about 7.5 hour between a domestic arrival at AKL, and an international departure checkin time (flight is about 3.5 hours after the checkin time). Owing to the fact that we are on separate tickets with different airlines, we will have to collect and store our luggage at AKL before heading off somewhere to visit.

We will arrive in AKL at about 1:00, and I figure that it might take about an hour to collect our bags and bring them to the international terminal and store them. So we are looking at department AKL at around 2:00, and we will then have about 6.5-7.5 hours to explore a bit, retrieve our luggage and then checking. (Next stop would be the Strata lounge for a shower).

Any advice about good things to do in AKL between 2:30 and 7:30 PM? Looks like the museum closes at 5:00.

We would plan to take a cab or Uber. Is there free wifi available in the landsides area of AKL?

Many thanks for your advice!
Unfortunately not the best timing. This is peak hour traffic time with school traffic then rush hour evening traffic. But I would head to either the Museum or the Art Gallery and have a wander around the museum and the Domain (gardens/green area where the museum is). Then when it closes head to Sky City and go up the Sky Tower for a good view of the city. Then you could wander down to the Viaduct for some drinks and a bite to eat at one of the restaurants down there. About 7ish traffic should be fine and you could leave direct from there to go to the airport.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:46 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this is more of an Auckland airport and sightseeing question, let me move this to the more appropriate forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If I understand your post, you really have an 11 hour layover, you just want to arrive plenty early for your international connection.

My advice is to rent a car and drive to Piha. You can keep your luggage safe in the boot of your rental car (make sure to keep anything valuable in there), and the locker rental savings will probably pay for the car. The drive to Piha is beautiful and scenic, and most importantly, out of the Auckland traffic. You can hike to waterfalls in the area, and take a swim at the black sand beaches. There are caravan parks in Piha where I am sure you can take a shower and clean up for a nominal fee. Watch the sun set around 8pm, then head back to AKL.

Much better than the city of AKL in my opinion, unless the weather is looking poor!

Last edited by CPMaverick; Feb 20, 2018 at 2:02 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.