Under 21 Car rental BNE & CHC

Old Jan 28, 18, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Smile Under 21 Car rental BNE & CHC

Hi all, I am aware of a few lists circulating but they are several years old, I have reached out to many companies via email but no response. I will be 20 and I want to visit Brisbane and Christchurch. So far I have found NO agencies in BNE, and just one in CHC. Omega car rentals in CHC seems to be a mixed bag of reviews and I am wondering if anyone has experience with them good or bad. If anyone has any others to add to this list I think it would help myself and future young travelers greatly. Please do not post saying it is not possible thanks!

BNE:
  • Jucy Car rentals, 3000 AUD bond, $5 per day young driver fee
  • Wicked Camper/Car Rental, mandatory 100 AUD fee plus 3000 bond, no young driver fee
  • Firefly a division of Hertz, 15 AUD daily fee, only for 20+
CHC:
  • Omega Car Rental, 2000 NZD bond, no young driver fee
  • Snap Car rental, 2000 NZD bond, no young driver fee

Last edited by tydawg; Jan 30, 18 at 8:13 pm Reason: adding options
Old Jan 29, 18, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Some campervan companies also hire cars to 18+, e.g. jucy, wicked.
Old Jan 29, 18, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by konagirl2 View Post
Some campervan companies also hire cars to 18+, e.g. jucy, wicked.
Jucy do car hire not just campervans. I reckon in Brisbane that's about it, as far as cars goes for under 21.
Old Jan 29, 18, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
Jucy do car hire not just campervans. I reckon in Brisbane that's about it, as far as cars goes for under 21.
Thanks for the option for BNE they appear to be very reasonably priced.
Old Jan 29, 18, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Wicked is interesting...... I really do not want to be a driving in a vehicle that is asking to be pulled over, thank you for the suggestion though I will add it to the list in case others are interested.
Old Jan 30, 18, 12:16 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
Have an look at https://www.apexrentals.com.au/ they operate in BNE and CHC.
Old Jan 30, 18, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Have an look at https://www.apexrentals.com.au/ they operate in BNE and CHC.
21 Minimum age for Apex....
Old Jan 30, 18, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by tydawg View Post
Wicked is interesting...... I really do not want to be a driving in a vehicle that is asking to be pulled over, thank you for the suggestion though I will add it to the list in case others are interested.
Ha ha, yes wicked's philosophy/approach is indeed "interesting". I wouldn't personally hire from them, but it looks like options for under 21 year olds are pretty limited in Queensland.

Something to note is that those companies don't state how old the cars are (whereas they explicitly state for their campervans).
Old Jan 30, 18, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by konagirl2 View Post
Ha ha, yes wicked's philosophy/approach is indeed "interesting". I wouldn't personally hire from them, but it looks like options for under 21 year olds are pretty limited in Queensland.

Something to note is that those companies don't state how old the cars are (whereas they explicitly state for their campervans).
I noticed that, I seem to be having way more luck in NZ, the companies seem to have more welcoming policies. I will probably end up going with Firefly for BNE they are a division of Hertz that has a special exemption for age 20.
Old Jan 31, 18, 6:38 pm

Programs: RFC
I've rented from both Omega and Apex in CHC.

Have only tried them once, but I will never go back to Apex - they tried insisting that a car was perfectly fine when I could tell within 2 minutes of getting behind the wheel that the front discs were warped and it had been curbed at some point.

Omega is my first choice for rentals in CHC. Friendly, reasonable range of cars and prices, and easy to deal with, no upselling BS.

Search this Thread