Indian Pacific Train Questions

Old Jan 1, 18, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
Smile Indian Pacific Train Questions

Couple of questions for anyone who has travelled Platinum Class ob the Indian Pacific from Perth to Sydney.
Do you tip the person who makes up your compartment and looks after you for the journey and,, if so, how much per day?
Do the compartments have DVD players the same as the Gold Plus compartments?
Old Jan 1, 18, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanya934 View Post
..Do you tip the person who makes up your compartment and looks after you for the journey and,, if so, how much per day?
Tipping is not common in Australia or expected, other than high end restaurants.

The Indian Pacific
http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/...atinum-service
The web site is very poor with glossy- glamorous photos, but little information of substance.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 1, 18 at 1:02 pm
Old Jan 1, 18, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
I wasn't sure if Platinmum counted as "High End" by Aussie standards LOL!
I agree their website is pretty poor, even with the FAQ's section, hence the idea of asking real people here.
Old Jan 4, 18, 2:19 am

Programs: VA Gold; IHG Gold; Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star; QFF; KrisFlyer.
Generally in Australia you can tip if you feel like it. In hotels here you don't tip housekeeping or people who bring you room service, I'd say the same would occur on the Indian Pacific (and other train services here). If I was to tip it would be maybe a nominal amount at the end of the trip left in an envelope in the cabin.

You can tip in restaurants if you feel like it, but it's more a "keep the change" tip rather than giving a certain $ amount or % if it happens at all.
Old Jan 5, 18, 5:37 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
FWIW....

Did both the Belmond Eastern & Oriental (Singapore to Bangkok) and the El TransCantábrico' Gran Lujo (Spanish Basque region) trains last year. Neither journey required tipping (all inclusive fare). However, if your cabin attendant is attentive (as our E&O butler was), I recommend $5-$10USD per day.

Please come back and post a trip report when you complete your journey; this trip is on my list (next 1-3 years).

FozzieDoggie
trooper and Tanya934 like this.
Old Jan 5, 18, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanya934 View Post
I wasn't sure if Platinum counted as "High End" by Aussie standards LOL!
These long distance Australian passenger trains are privately owned and operated with a highly unionised work force.
Old Jan 8, 18, 2:29 am
Hvr

Programs: QC WP/OWE, LTG:
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
These long distance Australian passenger trains are privately owned and operated with a highly unionised work force.
Which is good for both the employer and employee.
Tanya934 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 6:40 am

Programs: AC*E50K MM, PC Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
We did this trip in 2015 (Perth to Sydney) in Platinum. Really enjoyed it, but I love trains! We didn't tip, and it didn't seem to be expected, just like the rest of Australia as mentioned above. I can't remember if there was a CD player - I had brought along a little Bose speaker and fully-loaded iPad for music thinking we'd be off-grid for the whole trip. Impressively, we had cell service the entire journey except for the odd 15-30 minutes between towers here and there. The cabin was very comfortable, food was reasonable, drinks were good, service was excellent. I'm Canadian and pretty used to vast open spaces, but this trip was something else entirely.
Tanya934 likes this.

Search this Thread