Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel for One Night in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Hotel for One Night in Sydney

I have one night in SYD on my way back to the U.S. from BNE. Will arrive early afternoon and depart the next morning at 11. Any recommendations for a great hotel using Marriott, SPG, Hyatt or Hilton points? Want to make the most of my one night in the city. May see an opera that evening. Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
The Park Hyatt on Circular Quay. The location is incredible. It is close to the Opera House, so you can just walk there.

https://sydney.park.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by KarenH
The Park Hyatt on Circular Quay. The location is incredible. It is close to the Opera House, so you can just walk there.

https://sydney.park.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Park Hyatt is excellent.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I third the Park Hyatt if you want to go to the Opera House, can't be beat.

In general if I have an overnight layover in SYD and don't want to be in tourist-central, I like the Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. A quick taxi ride and a quite relaxing area. The hotel won't wow you, but it is a solid property right on the ocean and has a 24 hour pool and gym. The walk from there to Wylie's Baths (ocean pool) is very nice too.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I third the Park Hyatt if you want to go to the Opera House, can't be beat.

In general if I have an overnight layover in SYD and don't want to be in tourist-central, I like the Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. A quick taxi ride and a quite relaxing area. The hotel won't wow you, but it is a solid property right on the ocean and has a 24 hour pool and gym. The walk from there to Wylie's Baths (ocean pool) is very nice too.
You could probably toss the IC in Double Bay in there as not being in tourist central. Although then you have to deal with every spiv in Sydney.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
You could probably toss the IC in Double Bay in there as not being in tourist central. Although then you have to deal with every spiv in Sydney.
Tried it once. Nice property, but still far from the airport and still pretty hectic. Good ferry access though.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Another vote for Park Hyatt.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tried it once. Nice property, but still far from the airport and still pretty hectic. Good ferry access though.
They take almost the exact same amount of time to reach from SYD (at least according to Google – by car or public transport), with the added advantage that getting into the CBD from Double Bay takes 20-25 minutes, compared to 45-50 from Coogee.

I would personally probably choose Coogee, just because I don't really like DB, even though I live 5 minutes from it. However, if you're only here for one night and want to get into town then I'd go with DB just for the convenience.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:03 pm

They take almost the exact same amount of time to reach from SYD (at least according to Google – by car or public transport), with the added advantage that getting into the CBD from Double Bay takes 20-25 minutes, compared to 45-50 from Coogee.

I would personally probably choose Coogee, just because I don't really like DB, even though I live 5 minutes from it. However, if you're only here for one night and want to get into town then I'd go with DB just for the convenience.
That's the thing, I don't want or need to go to the CBD if I just have a layover at SYD. That was the point of suggesting Coogee, if you don't want to bother with the hassle of the CBD. I understand, if you haven't been to SYD and want to see the harbor, etc that people will (and should) go there.

Fair point that they are a similar time by car, assuming the M1 is moving.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the thing, I don't want or need to go to the CBD if I just have a layover at SYD. That was the point of suggesting Coogee, if you don't want to bother with the hassle of the CBD. I understand, if you haven't been to SYD and want to see the harbor, etc that people will (and should) go there.

Fair point that they are a similar time by car, assuming the M1 is moving.
I see what you were saying now. Sorry, I misread your initial post as suggesting the OP stay there and head into the CBD.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:36 pm

I see what you were saying now. Sorry, I misread your initial post as suggesting the OP stay there and head into the CBD.
No worries, I was definitely a bit OT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.