Tasmania vs. Apollo Bay/GOR

Old Dec 28, 17, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Tasmania vs. Apollo Bay/GOR

Headed to Australia and NZ for 3.5 weeks in April - 2 adults and our 18 month old. After a few days getting over jet lag and travel in Sydney we're looking for a spot to be mellow, do a few day trips, but generally lay low and get the kiddo back on schedule. We've narrowed it down between Tasmania and the Apollo Bay area along Great Ocean Road. The plan would be to rent a car, find a relatively out of the way spot near the water, and do a few day trips and relaxing for 4-5 days. Either way, we'd head back to Melbourne for a city weekend before heading over to NZ. I've heard a lot of pros and cons of Tasmania, but would love to hear folks thoughts on one area over the other. Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 18, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Shocked that no one here has opinions on either Tasmania or Great Ocean Road. No opinions - good, bad or ugly - to share? Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 18, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
Great Ocean Road

I have not visited Tasmania, but I have driven the Great Ocean Road. That would be my choice. Less stress with an infant & better scenery.
Since you are up for an internal flight, I suggest you check out the options. Adelaide is amazing. BTW, there are 2 airports in Melbourne.
Old Jan 1, 18, 6:30 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Sorry, I almost replied but I don't have kids so was unsure how relevant my thoughts would be.

Honestly both are great options. Tasmania will be slightly colder, which may be worth considering that time of year.

I assume you'd fly to Hobart, which is a charming little city and has lots of great day trips on offer. I'm sure there are lots of out-of-the way properties near the water there.

It probably comes down to, do you want a longer drive in the car to get to/from your destination (GOR), or do you want to fly (to Tas). You can also ferry to Tasmania but it is more expensive and obviously takes longer.
Old Jan 2, 18, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

Antonio - We were also looking at Adelaide and/or McLaren Vale-area. We considered KI but ruled it out due to ferry/flight timing. Would you opt for South Australia over Great Ocean Road? If so, why?
Old Jan 2, 18, 8:12 pm

Programs: VA Gold; IHG Gold; Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star; QFF; KrisFlyer.
I've never driven the GOR but have been to Hobart and it's lovey. Great, quiet little city. Quite a few things to keep you occupied for at least a week. A visit to MONA is essential (though you might need a blindfold for your kid around some of the exhibits!)

You could fly into LST or HBA then drive to the other. Or fly to MEL, get the Spirit of Tasmania to Devonport then drive down to Hobart and fly back to SYD.

Travel time to Apollo Bay would be longer than to HBA (Tasmania's capital city). You'd need to fly to MEL or AVV then drive down.
Old Jan 2, 18, 8:15 pm

Programs: VA Gold; IHG Gold; Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star; QFF; KrisFlyer.
Adelaide/Barossa Valley/Clare Valley/McLaren Vale/Adelaide Hills are a great place to spend a few days. The main attraction there are the wineries, Maggie Beer's farm, Hahndorf, Tanunda & Nooriootpa, and Adelaide itself is very easy to navigate.

Search this Thread