Help! flying Sydney(SYD)-Cairns(CNS) R/T. use cash or pts?

Old Dec 27, 17, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Help! flying Sydney(SYD)-Cairns(CNS) R/T. use cash or pts?

Hi,

I'm trying to fly Sydney to Cairns first week of Feburary 2018. I'm seeing prices via Quantas/Virgin Australia for ~$350 a person. The LCCs are charging ~$250. I will have one bag with me, so I was thinking of purchasing the Quantas fare. Just wanted to get some comments if that price is more on the expensive side or if I should wait to book. Maybe another option is use points? I think it cost ~20k avios for a round trip and I can transfer via MR? I can use AS miles too but none of the award flights are direct. Any other options?

I know FT is not a travel agency etc, but this is my first time booking travel in Australia.
Old Dec 28, 17, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emofeng View Post
I'm trying to fly Sydney to Cairns first week of Feburary 2018. I'm seeing prices via Quantas/Virgin Australia for ~$350 a person. The LCCs are charging ~$250. I will have one bag with me, so I was thinking of purchasing the Quantas fare. Just wanted to get some comments if that price is more on the expensive side or if I should wait to book. Maybe another option is use points? I think it cost ~20k avios for a round trip and I can transfer via MR? I can use AS miles too but none of the award flights are direct. Any other options?
SYD CNS is 1222 miles ~ 3hours. So it will cost.
I do not know the $ fare range for this route, but if you need to go you have no choice.
You could use different airlines up to CNS & back to SYD. No benefit in buying a return on the same airline.

Are you looking at com.au web sites or selecting Au as the booking site?
https:// www. qantas . com/ au / en.html https://www.qantas.com/au/en.html

Have you checked award availability? There will be $ in additional to the BA avois or AS miles

If you are desperate fly Tiger (as the other thread)

There are trains, but takes time and many not be cheaper. Or long distance bus (greyhound or equal) but would be for the desperate

Note Qantas does not have a u

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 28, 17 at 12:28 am
Old Dec 28, 17, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Despite being a Yank, I've flown a good deal inside Australia (mostly on Qantas, using BA Avios or AA miles).

Avios awards are distance-based, so they can be reasonable for this trip.

Also, if you care about comfort, check business class awards. They may not require many more miles/Avios than economy class awards, even though the price difference can be quite large if you must use real money.

The caution about checking fees in the previous post is well taken. Fees can really eat into the apparent savings from using an award ticket.
Old Dec 28, 17, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
SYD CNS is 1222 miles ~ 3hours. So it will cost.
I do not know the $ fare range for this route, but if you need to go you have no choice.
You could use different airlines up to CNS & back to SYD. No benefit in buying a return on the same airline.

Are you looking at com.au web sites or selecting Au as the booking site?
https:// www. qantas . com/ au / en.html https://www.qantas.com/au/en.html

Have you checked award availability? There will be $ in additional to the BA avois or AS miles

If you are desperate fly Tiger (as the other thread)

There are trains, but takes time and many not be cheaper. Or long distance bus (greyhound or equal) but would be for the desperate

Note Qantas does not have a u
Haha Thanks! I knew you'd see the link between my last post and this post .

Search this Thread