Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage question in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Baggage question in Sydney

hello! I have the current itinerary from SIN-SYD-CNS-SYD-SFO. The only flights I have not booked is SYD-CNS-SYD. I see that tigerair has the cheapest fares and am planning to book it. However, I will have 3 checked bags on my trip and tigerair charges $90AUD per bag if i’m reading the website correctly. My trip to CNS spans 2 nights/3days

I’m trying to avoid checked bag fees. So my question is, would anyone know if there are any storage facilities at SYD so when I return from CNS, I can retrieve it?

Here is another possible option: At SYD, I’m staying at the Park Hyatt Sydney for the first leg. I haven’t booked the hotels yet on my return to SYD. If I book Park Hyatt Sydney, anyone know if they will hold my bags for a couple days since i’m Rechecking into the same hotel?

I was hoping to book at the regency on my trip back or the IC, but if I need to book PHS, just for them to hold my bag, I might just do that.

Thanks for the help! Trip is in a month!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by emofeng
hello! I have the current itinerary from SIN-SYD-CNS-SYD-SFO. The only flights I have not booked is SYD-CNS-SYD. I see that tigerair has the cheapest fares and am planning to book it. However, I will have 3 checked bags on my trip and tigerair charges $90AUD per bag if i’m reading the website correctly. My trip to CNS spans 2 nights/3days

I’m trying to avoid checked bag fees. So my question is, would anyone know if there are any storage facilities at SYD so when I return from CNS, I can retrieve it?

Here is another possible option: At SYD, I’m staying at the Park Hyatt Sydney for the first leg. I haven’t booked the hotels yet on my return to SYD. If I book Park Hyatt Sydney, anyone know if they will hold my bags for a couple days since i’m Rechecking into the same hotel?

I was hoping to book at the regency on my trip back or the IC, but if I need to book PHS, just for them to hold my bag, I might just do that.

Thanks for the help! Trip is in a month!
Different hotels: I stayed at the Sheraton in Sydney, went to NZ for a few days, then stayed at another hotel. The Sheraton had no trouble storing the luggage until my return. So just email your hotel and see what they say
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Both Domestic Terminals at SYD have baggage storage https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/inf...ge-services-t2 & https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/inf...ge-services-t3

If you have anything of value in the bags I would not leave them with the hotel even if they accepted it. The Park Hyatt Sydney is a high end hotel but thefts do happen.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emofeng
I have the current itinerary from SIN-SYD-CNS-SYD-SFO. The only flights I have not booked is SYD-CNS-SYD. I see that tigerair has the cheapest fares and am planning to book it. However, I will have 3 checked bags on my trip and tigerair charges $90AUD per bag if i’m reading the website correctly. My trip to CNS spans 2 nights/3days

Here is another possible option: At SYD, I’m staying at the Park Hyatt Sydney for the first leg. I haven’t booked the hotels yet on my return to SYD. If I book Park Hyatt Sydney, anyone know if they will hold my bags for a couple days since I’m rechecking into the same hotel?
Tiger may be the cheapest, but may be the most expensive . As you have noted you will pay extras. Expect carry on (7kg) to be enforced.
Only the brave and desperate fly Tiger

Airlines that fly in Australia domestically. Excludes some small operators
- Airnorth TL Regional airline in northern central Australia
- Alliance Airlines QQ Regional airline. Tailored aircraft charters for the resource industry.
- Jetstar JQ (a low cost carrier with low-medium-high priced fares owned by QF)
- Regional Express Airways (REX) ZL Regional airline
- Tiger Airways TT (a low cost carrier with low fares owned by Virgin Australia)
- Qantas QF [OneWorld Alliance]
- Virgin Australia VA (Delta & AC* partner) *= some routes

As above there is storage at the airport, but check the cost for the time you are in CNS.
No-one can answer for the hotel. Better to phone-email them to ask.

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:13 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'm going to move this to our Australia forum.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I've emailed the hotel and checked the website for price at the airport storage site. I will wait for a reply from the hotel.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I wouldn't recommend Tiger AIr, but regardless traveling to CNS with 3 bags for 2 nights sounds like a nightmare. Certainly worthwhile leaving a bit behind.

If I have a future booking for a hotel (1-3 days) and I am town before that, I have always just gone to that hotel before I leave and ask them to hold my bags until check-in. I've never had a problem. I'd just book the regency or IC and do that. The chances of something happening to your bags in storage at one of these hotels is almost nil, of course still take anything of value with you, particularly identification, cash, electronics. Nobody is going to risk their job at the IC for your dirty laundry.

Another thing I have considered, but never done, is take your dirty clothes to a laundry service and let them wash everything. Then consolidate your luggage. They will hold a couple days until pickup and you'll have clean clothes on arrival. I never travel with three suitcases though, that might be a tough one.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
If you are already staying at the PH and you need to leave then return a few days later to re check in I'd say with almost 100% certainty you will have no problems leaving bags.
It does seem odd to stay at the top end of SYD accommodation yet look to fly the cheapest airline (which probably won't end up being the cheapest due to all the extra costs).
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
With Tiger if there is a cancellation often there's no flight till the next day or worse. No matter how cheap I would never flight on Tiger.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:46 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
With Tiger if there is a cancellation often there's no flight till the next day or worse. No matter how cheap I would never flight on Tiger.
Good advice, as tthere is a huge difference in delays even between LCCs and Tiger is far worse than JQ for example. Quite a risk for SYD-CNS-SYD when you can't really afford to be a day late. PH charges USD 800 per night so maybe worth flying QF or VA instead for a more reliable experience. Tiger has a truly dreadful on-time reputation which is systemic (it is structured to fail).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.