Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting routes from Australia to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by number_6
Delayed bags is always a risk on these milk run flights as pax and priority cargo are loaded first and bags only if weight permits. Not unique to Polynesia but perhaps more common as there are few alternative delivery means for priority cargo. You do need to plan accordingly. I was stranded for 3 days once in Pago Pago due to CO DC-10 having mechanical and it took that long to get a replacement plane and crew there. And that's a major airline with big resources. This is adventure travel, don't go if you have a tight schedule.
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Yes, I did. It was a fantastic trip! It is a little risky to count on inter-island travel schedules in this part of the world. I was lucky that everything in my itinerary was pretty much on schedule. It is smart to build some wiggle room into your schedule if you can. I wouldn't plan on flying HNL- PPG the day after you arrive in PPG for example. I'd give yourself at least 2 nights in PPG.

The HNL-PPG flight was a full red-eye on a very very old 767, so not much to write home about. But, the ability to see Samoa and American Samoa on my way to HNL was worth every hassle.

There are several flights a day FGI-PPG on two airlines. I took Talofa, which is the smaller airline, and the operations left a lot to be desired... but that's kind of how it is in the Pacific ("Island Time"). I got my luggage and we were only delayed about 90 minutes, it was fine. I don't know how booked these flights tend to be, but it certainly seems like there are some options if a flight gets delayed or canceled, or luggage is delayed. Of course, if there are weather problems, there might be no flights for a long period of time.
Thank you for sharing your experiences, sounds like an incredible adventure, especially being stranded, wow! The tiny Talofa Aero Commander 690B plane looks exciting due to it's low profile. I noticed there are more award options out of Samoa (APW) airport to USA so I may leave my regular baggage (if I can find a secure storage at a hotel) and use my laptop backpack for a RT 2 night stay on America Samoa.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The 690B was great. It has big windows and you can see easily out of both sides of the aircraft! FWIW Polynesian seems to have their act together a bit better than Talofa based on my single experience, but I was glad I chose Talofa in the end.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Hi All-

I had another opportunity to find an interesting route between Hawaii & Australia (this time ex-HNL). This is what I came up with:

Great Circle Mapper

HNL-MAJ on UA. 27k UA miles. Must keep in mind that this flight arrives +1 day.
* 1 night in MAJ
MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI on UA. 12.5k UA miles.
* 2 nights in PNI
PNI-TKK on UA. 8k UA miles.
* 3 nights on TKK
TKK-POM on PX, using cash ($335 USD). This flight only operates on Sundays, hence the 3 nights on TKK (although it's an early Sunday flight).
* 2 nights in POM
POM-BNE-MEL on VA (A$335, had a travel bank credit so used it instead of points).

This is going to be fun. PX offers some interesting opportunities via POM if you can get the schedule right (many flights only operate 1 day a week). PX flies from PNI-POM as well so I figure I have a few options if something gets delayed.

If I weren't so keen to do the island hopper, and/or I had less time, HNL-MAJ-TRW-HIR-BNE is quite appealing as well, or even HNL-MAJ-INU-BNE (not easy to stop at Nauru but a quick way back to Oz from MAJ).

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jun 1, 2019 at 3:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.