Wiki Posts
Search

Uber pick-up from Auckland International

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Uber pick-up from Auckland International

Hi Folks,

I will be arriving in Auckland International with family from LAX just before Christmas. I want to take Uber to go to Matamata.

I have read about the Uber restrictions (for pick-up) going on at AKL. I am interested to know if any of you have had recent success in getting an Uber ride from the international terminal. If so, how long did you have to wait before you found a driver?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pb10184
I will be arriving in Auckland International with family from LAX just before Christmas. I want to take Uber to go to Matamata.

I have read about the Uber restrictions (for pick-up) going on at AKL. I am interested to know if any of you have had recent success in getting an Uber ride from the international terminal. If so, how long did you have to wait before you found a driver?
Matamata is a reasonable distance from Auckland. ~100 mile 160 km Matamata to Auckland map
A rental car would be more realistic
Or bus https://www.intercity.co.nz/cheap-no...a-to-auckland/

From https://www.uber.com/en-NZ/drive/auc...ional-airport/
AKL for Uber partners
Driver-partners can drop-off passengers at Auckland Airport. However, they are not permitted by the airport to do pick-ups.
We’re working on putting in place a suitable arrangement with the Airport for both riders and drivers - we’ll keep you posted.
In certain circumstances, driver-partners may be able to register with the airport on an individual basis as a ‘pre-charter operator’. You can learn more about this below.

Auckland pickups
Register for pick-ups at AKL

Auckland Airport does not allow rideshare vehicles to pick up riders without the proper pre-charter registration. Driver-partners can register for airport pick-ups on the airport website (there are registration costs involved).

The airport may issue fines to any drivers who complete unauthorised pick-ups. It is your responsibility to ensure you do not accept airport trips unless you are registered with the airport.

If you receive an airport trip request are not able to enter into the airport to pick a rider up, let the trip request expire. Riders expect a pick-up on airport property.

In the Air NZ forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-domestic.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 4, 2017 at 12:03 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

I will be arriving in AKL after a 14+ hrs flight and would prefer a ride over rental.

Thanks for the Intercity suggestion. I will look into it for transfer to Matamata, or even Hamilton.

Uber is just one of the options (and a very good one if it works predictably just as it does for most US airports) that I am exploring.

I had read their blurb about AKL pickup. I am just curious to know if the ‘pre-charter operator’ stuff actually works in practice for waiting passengers.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
I've never had to use an Uber from/to AKL, for a trip to Matamata just hire a car - hire cars are very cheap in Auckland.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
According to my Uber driver last month they have recently been approved to operate at AKL and the meeting point is outside the gate next to McDonalds. After you clear immigration turn left, walk past McDonalds to exit door 11.
My wait time was 3 minutes.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Great input, snabbu. Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Any experience with Uber XL or SUVs at AK:?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:26 am

Thank you to snabbu for the info ! Arrived in AKL today , Uber - ordinary car - worked fine at door 11. Saved 25 - 35 % on an ordinary airport taxi , great Uber driver , very friendly Does anyone know if Uber pick up at CHC ?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:06 am

Does anyone know if therel is free wifi in the domestic terminal arrival area?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Originally Posted by flatworm
Thank you to snabbu for the info ! Arrived in AKL today , Uber - ordinary car - worked fine at door 11. Saved 25 - 35 % on an ordinary airport taxi , great Uber driver , very friendly Does anyone know if Uber pick up at CHC ?
My last visit to CHC was a late arrival and I admit I jumped into a cab as they are right in front of you as you exit the airport. On the return I did grab an Uber and the driver mentioned they were not allowed to pick up at the airport so people were advised to walk to the nearest hotel (Sudima) and get picked up from there. After a quick google it seems this information seems valid however I'm not sure what the current status is.

Uber drivers were not allowed to use its drop-off lane, forcing passengers to walk to the nearby Sudima Hotel to be picked up. "Uber does not require its drivers to comply with NZTA guidelines, so we are not able to allow Uber to operate through the airport," a spokeswoman for Christchurch Airport said.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/925...aland-airports
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Any experience with Uber XL or SUVs at AK:?
The only choices I've seen on the app in Auckland are Uber X and UberAssist, no black/XL/taxi or other options commonly seen in other markets.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by stewardo
The only choices I've seen on the app in Auckland are Uber X and UberAssist, no black/XL/taxi or other options commonly seen in other markets.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.