Sydney Road tolls

Old Nov 26, 17, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Sydney Road tolls

So I hired a car in Sydney today (Sunday) and drove it across the Harbour Tunnel and along stretches of the M1 & M2 which apparently attract tolls. The AVIS clerk blithely told me that I can call Transurban NSW on 137626 and pay the toll due. When I did so, a woman based in the Philippines tells me that the amount payable will be known only after 7-10 business days.

The problem is that I am leaving Australia after 3 days (from Brisbane) - so how do I know how much I owe and how do I pay it? I do want to pay it or else I am sure Avis will charge me 100 times the actual amount payable!
Old Nov 26, 17, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puchong View Post
So I hired a car in Sydney today (Sunday) and drove it across the Harbour Tunnel and along stretches of the M1 & M2 which apparently attract tolls. The AVIS clerk blithely told me that I can call Transurban NSW on 137626 and pay the toll due. When I did so, a woman based in the Philippines tells me that the amount payable will be known only after 7-10 business days.

The problem is that I am leaving Australia after 3 days (from Brisbane) - so how do I know how much I owe and how do I pay it? I do want to pay it or else I am sure Avis will charge me 100 times the actual amount payable!
Try this https://www.linkt.com.au/sydney
https://www.linkt.com.au/sydney/alre...-for-your-trip
Old Nov 26, 17, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by puchong View Post

I am pretty sure you will be billed, no 'need' to call:

Electronic Tolling Program at Avis

Background to the RMS E-Toll FacilityWe are pleased to announce that, after a successful trial with the Roads and Maritime Services of New South Wales, Avis rental vehicles are now registered on the RMS e-toll system so that tolls incurred by you when using an Avis vehicle on any Australian toll road can be recorded and billed to you by the RMS in an efficient manner.All Avis rental vehicles will be registered on the RMS e-toll system to enable their use on any toll roads in Australia. Currently, these toll roads are on the eastern seaboard of Australia (including the toll roads in the metropolitan areas of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane).

How will the RMS E-Toll Facility work?The RMS E-Toll Facility will be made available by the RMS to you when you rent a vehicle from the Avis network. At the time of rental of your vehicle, you will receive your Avis rental document as you currently do, but the RMS Customer Agreement will now apply to the use of the RMS E-Toll Facility when you use the vehicle on a toll road and incur tolls.The amounts payable in connection with your use of the RMS E-Toll Facility are described in the RMS Terms and Conditions. Please note that the amounts payable includea) the applicable toll(s) incurred by your use of the vehicle on a toll road during the rental (which varies from toll road to toll road); and(b) a service fee of, currently, $3.30 (if paying other than by cash) or $5.00 (if paying by cash) for each calendar day on which the vehicle incurs a toll (part of which service fee is paid by the RMS to Avis or a Avis licensee (as applicable). The amounts owing to the RMS in connection with your use of the RMS E-Toll Facility will be invoiced directly by the RMS - for full details click here. You must not use any other tag or tolling product of any other toll provider in your Avis rental vehicle. If you do, there could be two separate charges - one by the RMS and another by the other toll facility provider.

I believe it is automatic-AVIS will pass your info to RMS, they will charge your credit card. More info:
https://www.myrta.com/wps/portal/ext...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
Old Nov 30, 17, 4:35 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Yeah, if you pay separately you will still be charged by Avis and pay double toll (plus the service charge). While this new system is convenient, it is also a nice little extra charge earner for Avis as the daily service charge can be higher than the toll in many cases. No way around it as all the car rental companies use this system now.
Old Nov 30, 17, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Yeah, if you pay separately you will still be charged by Avis and pay double toll (plus the service charge). While this new system is convenient, it is also a nice little extra charge earner for Avis as the daily service charge can be higher than the toll in many cases. No way around it as all the car rental companies use this system now.
You sure?

I got around the Hertz platepass system:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26617800-post22.html

If you do nothing, it defaults to the Avis (or Hertz) account- and youi cannot call later and try and pay it- there will be nothing due as it was already captured and billed to the car company.

If you set up your own platepass account with the specific license, AND call them to let them know, it should bill to your account and not to Avis or Hertz. (I did it on an ipad in the car once I had the plate number)

Its been a while, so not sure if it has changed...

Old Nov 30, 17, 9:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It seems to change every year and varies by company, so you just have to check the fine print in your rental contract; even the staff are often ignorant of the current offering. Very annoying.

Search this Thread