Towns/stops between SYD and MEL?

Old Nov 5, 17, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Towns/stops between SYD and MEL?

Thinking of spending two or three days traveling between Sydney and Melbourne.

Are there any sights/towns to see/do along the way?
Do trains stop along there?

I wont be driving.
Will probably take the train or bus.

Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
The train runs inland, with the most interesting stop being Canberra, buses also follow the inland route. The far more interesting route is the coastal route, but I think you'd really have to hobble together a schedule using buses as trains in NSW don't run further south than Nowra. I'm not sure how far east they run in Victoria, but it's unlikely to be anywhere near the NSW border. There is no scheduled bus service between Sydney and Melbourne that uses the coastal route, afaik.

Jervis Bay is worth a stop, but to be honest, without a car, you'll be pretty restricted as to what you can see.
Old Nov 6, 17, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

Guess I should research more...
Maybe i could do a couple day trips out from SYD or MEL.
I already have 4 days each in SYD and MEL but still have 3 days in between.

Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
The train runs inland, with the most interesting stop being Canberra, buses also follow the inland route. The far more interesting route is the coastal route, but I think you'd really have to hobble together a schedule using buses as trains in NSW don't run further south than Nowra. I'm not sure how far east they run in Victoria, but it's unlikely to be anywhere near the NSW border. There is no scheduled bus service between Sydney and Melbourne that uses the coastal route, afaik.

Jervis Bay is worth a stop, but to be honest, without a car, you'll be pretty restricted as to what you can see.
Old Nov 6, 17, 2:36 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You can do the coastal route using public train/bus and it is quite cheap fare, but takes a long time and some routes run once or twice a day. But well worth doing as it is quite interesting scenery with charming small towns (few thousand people each for the most part). I'd do Sydney to Narooma the first day and stay overnight there. But it illustrates a problem with no car, Tilba is a few km away and well worth a visit but doubt it can be done with a bus. There is a bus from Narooma that connects to a train to Melbourne (that takes about 12 hours). Same would be true of towns all along the south coast so you could stop at Bega, etc.
Old Nov 7, 17, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by HawaiiO View Post
Thanks for the info!

Guess I should research more...
Maybe i could do a couple day trips out from SYD or MEL.
I already have 4 days each in SYD and MEL but still have 3 days in between.

Any suggestions?
Well there is definitely enough to see in Canberra for an overnight stay. Parliament (which has a 1297 exemplification of the Magna Carta on display – if that's your thing), the War Memorial and the museum attached to it are excellent and really well worth a visit, the National Gallery etc.

Or you could head to wine country in the Hunter Valley north of Sydney or the Yarra Valley east of Melbourne, or beaches down south of Sydney around Hyams. From Melbourne you could do some sort of tour of the Great Ocean Road.
Old Nov 15, 17, 5:17 am

Programs: QF, HH, LH M&M
Yes, and don't forget it's a 900km journey from SYD to MEL by road inland via Albury.

Personally, I would use SYD and MEL as a hub to make day trips or even brief overnight hops from.

That said, some nice stops along the way. The coastal route is popular with backpackers and bus companies like Greyhound should see you getting stops along the way.

There's also a bus company called the Premier Motor Service with routes including Nowra to Moruya, for example. Give them a try.

Incidentally, most of the towns along the border also have flights to and/or from MEL/SYD including Canberra, Albury, Wagga Wagga and – down the coast – Merimbula and Moruya if that's convenient for you or if you wanted to vary things a little.

In terms of wineries, there are some near Canberra too, like Clonakilla, but without a car this may be a challenge.

In any case, have you heard of the Rome2Rio website? Can be useful for looking up to get to places around the world via bus, train, car and/or airlines...

Bon voyage!

Search this Thread