Sunday Sydney Opal trips

Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Sunday Sydney Opal trips

Any suggestions for a long Sunday Sydney Opal trip in March

I saw many You Tubes videos on Scenic World.... a good idea?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:51 am

It would be a long Sunday... I believe the only opal mines in NSW are at White Cliffs and Lightning Ridge, some 8-9 hours drive away.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Not sure how you can see an Opal mine on a day trip from Sydney.

I quite enjoyed White Cliffs, but it is pretty far from Sydney. It is a very isolated and unique place. Lightning Ridge is more popular/well known, but I haven't been there.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I presume OP means trips that can be made on the Opal card - i.e by public transport.

What next? Comments on the availability of Oyster gathering in London?

You can go to the Blue Mountains (including Scenic World) or up and down the coast by Opal.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by mandolino
I presume OP means trips that can be made on the Opal card - i.e by public transport.

What next? Comments on the availability of Oyster gathering in London?

You can go to the Blue Mountains (including Scenic World) or up and down the coast by Opal.

I'll go out on a limb here and say you might just be on to something!
OldFruity likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:21 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Octopus catching in Hong Kong and rabbit hunting in Bangkok sound exciting.

As for Opal trips, there are 4 lines extending out of Sydney, so just choose one (or do them all on successive weeks).

If you want to go to Goulburn, Scone or Bathurst and back in a day you will need to drive to Moss Vale, Maitland or Lithgow at 3am or pay the fare to get there on Saturday night... and you won't really have time to do anything before you need to head back, unless you want to stay there for 12 hours.

I found it quite odd that when I took the 5am trains to Scone and on another day a year later to Goulburn, the other passengers in both cases were several Chinese pensioners (apparently NSW residents, not tourists!) who didn't speak English.... They weren't the same men both times or that would have been extraordinarily odd! I don't even know how they managed to get to the stations at 4am

(My travel quirk is to take trains to the ends of all the lines, which is the main reason I went to these places)
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by electriclarry
Any suggestions for a long Sunday Sydney Opal trip in March

I saw many You Tubes videos on Scenic World.... a good idea?
I've got this exact journey planned for a few weeks from now. Will report back after my trip in early December.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
I caught the 6:20 Blue Mountains Line train from Sydney Central Station to Katoomba station yesterday for AUD$5.95 using the Opal Card. It arrived on time at around 8:22 am. I then walked to Scenic World from the train station down Katoomba Street and onto Katoomba Falls Road. I found the route very well signposted and it was an easy stroll of around 30 minutes to arrive at Scenic World in time for opening at 9:00 am. I'd pre-purchased my Scenic World ticket on their website for AUD$39 as a weekday (I think it is more at the weekend). There were not many there at the beginning of the day but the numbers certainly increased throughout the day. If your knees are up to it, I would highly recommend walking the Furber Steps walkway down to the valley floor. There are spectacular views as you descend the 200+ meters, and with the Scenic World discovery pass you can ride up on either the Railway or Gondola. Note that there are no toilets or water available on the descent nor at the bottom - you need to walk or ride back up to the Scenic World main base at the top of the cliffs to use the facilities there.
I'd planned on staying for three hours, but the scenery was so spectacular I ended up staying until around 1.30 pm. I caught the 686 bus (again using the Opal card) from Echo Point back to the railway station for AUD$2.15 one way. The stop was outside the shop near the entrance to the Echo Point lookout - you'll see a big line of tourist buses and the bus stop is closest to the corner. The bus took a circuitous route and looped back on itself. I caught the express train back to Central Station at 2:04 pm for $3.95.
Overall I was really surprised how spectacular the views were, even having previously seen the videos. The cicadas, birds and waterfall noise made it a very special place. Seeing the cockatoos flying around the valley was amazing as well.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA
I missed the boat on this thread and should have done some research before a recent trip to Sydney. Anyway we arrived in town on a Saturday, so on the Sunday purchased an Opal card and travelled round the city and over to Manly on the ferry. I must say this must be one of the bargains in Sydney, unlimited travel for $2.50 ^. On the Monday we drove to the Blue Mountains and during the drive we were discussing how far one could get on the Opal card. We enjoyed our drive and the experience of the Blue Mountains but if I had known we could have done it all with Opal I would have chosen the train. I know for next time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.