Options for booking SYD during holidays

Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Options for booking SYD during holidays

Looking for a possible flight over Christmas and New Year's to Sydney from Atlanta, IF I can keep the flight within budget. (Dec21 or 22 departure-Jan 3/4 return with total flight budget of $1750-2000 pp, total of 2 ppl) Looking at Google Flights, there doesn't seem to be any RT from Atlanta for under $2k during this time frame.

Anyone have any ideas or suggested departure cities outside of Atlanta that might have better prices? I did see LAX-SYD for about $1800, but would need to book ATL-LAX separately and it pushes flights back over budget.

I thought of possibly opening a branded CC with a great sign-up bonus in order to try and use miles for a portion, but unsure what would be best. Any thoughts are appreciated. If I'm SOL, so be it.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weaverswonders6
Looking for a possible flight over Christmas and New Year's to Sydney from Atlanta, if I can keep the flight within budget. (Dec 21 or 22 departure-Jan 3/4 return with total flight budget of $1750-2000 pp, total of 2 ppl) Looking at Google Flights, there doesn't seem to be any RT from Atlanta for under $2k during this time frame.

Anyone have any ideas or suggested departure cities outside of Atlanta that might have better prices? I did see LAX-SYD for about $1800, but would need to book ATL-LAX separately and it pushes flights back over budget.

I thought of possibly opening a branded CC with a great sign-up bonus in order to try and use miles for a portion, but unsure what would be best. Any thoughts are appreciated. If I'm SOL, so be it.
You are trying to fly at a peak time and looking for flights late. For those dates many people would book 6-9 months ahead. Award flights, if any, will be hard/impossible to get. The airlines known they can sell for good money most/all seats on those dates.

Also be aware hotels in Sydney over New Year are very expensive and hard to get.

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia (not from all airports to all airports)
- American Airlines AA (LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
- Air Canada AC (YYR – SYD, BNE, MEL 1 Dec 2017 to 1 Feb 2018 ) [Star Alliance]
- Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO IAH YVR via AKL) [Star Alliance]
- Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX via Tahiti. Last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
- Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
- Fiji Airways FJ (LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL ADL via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner)
- Hawaiian HA (HNL – SYD BNE) (AA & VA partner)
- Jetstar JQ JQ (HNL – SYD BNE)
- Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK DFW HNL YVR*– SYD BNE MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) {* seasonal}
- United UA (LAX SFO – SYD MEL) [Star Alliance]
- Virgin Australia VA (LAX – SYD BNE MEL) (DL partner)
And others via Asia & Middle East
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by weaverswonders6
Looking for a possible flight over Christmas and New Year's to Sydney from Atlanta, IF I can keep the flight within budget. (Dec21 or 22 departure-Jan 3/4 return with total flight budget of $1750-2000 pp, total of 2 ppl) Looking at Google Flights, there doesn't seem to be any RT from Atlanta for under $2k during this time frame.

That LAX-SYD flight is about right. I would book that because it probably won't last long. As Mwenenzi points out it's a busy time of the year and finding cheap flights is only half your problem, accomodation in Sydney will be very expensive and thin on the ground this close to the date.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Anything within shouting distance of $2000 RT for flights ATL-SYD will be as good as it gets. I paid almost US$3000 last holidays to get to the USA from Australia.

Miles and points don't do you much good during the peak times. Awards are blacked out, thin or already snapped up. You might get lucky with one ticket, but matching it with the cheapest available revenue options would be tough. Getting from ATL-LAX on points might be more likely to help.

If you are on a budget, going to SYD over Christmas and NYE is a tough one. Make sure you check out the other expenses, especially lodging. Note that you can go as far as Parramatta by ferry from Sydney harbour, this might help bring costs down while still getting a 'fun' mode of transport.
trooper likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.