Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help - 1 week in Australia/NZ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Depends where the hotel is. I've walked to Mascot Station from the Holiday Inn and that works (5 min walk), and you could make the Ibis work at the outer edge if you need to (17 min walk). Travel time by train from Mascot to Circular Quay is 18 mins.

You don't want to access the trains at the airport each day as you'll pay the airport surcharge. For example, a one way adult ticket from the airport domestic terminal to Circular Quay with an Opal Card is $A16.22 off peak and $A17.26 peak. If you depart from Mascot it's $A2.42/$A3.46 one way.

The only time I've stayed that far out is when there was a big Rotary convention or when I had a one night stay with early departure.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Depends where the hotel is. I've walked to Mascot Station from the Holiday Inn and that works (5 min walk), and you could make the Ibis work at the outer edge if you need to (17 min walk). Travel time by train from Mascot to Circular Quay is 18 mins.

You don't want to access the trains at the airport each day as you'll pay the airport surcharge. For example, a one way adult ticket from the airport domestic terminal to Circular Quay with an Opal Card is $A16.22 off peak and $A17.26 peak. If you depart from Mascot it's $A2.42/$A3.46 one way.

The only time I've stayed that far out is when there was a big Rotary convention or when I had a one night stay with early departure.
Thanks tom911. I was looking at the Adina Apartment Hotel in Mascot (adjacent to the Holiday Inn) since it has received some good reviews. I'm completely fine with Hyatt Place/Residence Inn type rooms since I'm with the kids. Would you know how it compares?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:25 pm

Not familiar with that property to offer any comments.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whistler814
Looking at hotels for SYD. Is staying near the airport and taking the train into the CBD/harbour area a hassle?
Far better to stay in the CBD/harbour area. The area around the airport does not have much going for it. Is dead at night.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Far better to stay in the CBD/harbour area. The area around the airport does not have much going for it. Is dead at night.
I agree. Although that area on Botany Road at Mascot seems to have some decent restaurants, I think most of them cater for the lunch crowd and would be shut at night. I'd definitely opt for the CBD over the airport. The area around the airport is still predominately light industrial.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
If you decide on SYD try the Roar and Snore at Taronga Zoo. You can sleep overnight at the zoo (pretty comfortable too) and have a number of interactive experience - feeding giraffes and sea lions. The price also includes the day at the zoo.
I'm a Sydneysider and desperate to do the Roar and Snore. It looks fabulous. I just never have gotten around to it.

I'd be surprised if you can hold a Koala anywhere.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whistler814
Looking at hotels for SYD. Is staying near the airport and taking the train into the CBD/harbour area a hassle?
Yes. Too much of a hassle.

The airport hotels are in pretty boring areas with nothing to do. When the kids get tired it is easy to just walk to your Circular Quay or Darling Harbour.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
South Australia, Western Australia or Queensland.

Given Queensland's tourism industry it has far more options for koala holding than the other states combined.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
I'm a Sydneysider and desperate to do the Roar and Snore. It looks fabulous. I just never have gotten around to it.

I took a group of friends from Fiji and they all really enjoyed it. It is communal bathrooms but the tents were really comfortable and warm. We went in September.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
South Australia, Western Australia or Queensland.

Given Queensland's tourism industry it has far more options for koala holding than the other states combined.
Is it holding the koala or holding a stick with a koala on it?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:10 am

Is it holding the koala or holding a stick with a koala on it?
Look at these koala photos from Queensland. See any sticks?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I can recommend the Hyde Park Inn in Southern end of CBD, I stay there earlier this year it had 2 bedrooms (King and Twin beds), 1 bathroom, kitchen (free breakfast - orange juice, tea/coffee, bread, butter & jam), dinning/living room with free WiFi.
Also had a balcony for views across Hyde Park and Museum Station is across the road, 5 stops to the airport and 2 stops to Circular Quays (The Rocks & Sydney Opera House). There are plenty of eateries and shops near by and China town is a 15 minute walk away.
whistler814 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: Delta, American, JetBlue
If you are interested in animals in Melbourne, as MSPeconomist mentioned the Melbourne Zoo is wonderful. I recently visited Ballarat Wildlife Park (www.wildlifepark.com/au) and Healesville Sanctuary (www.zoo.org.au/healesville). Ballarat has a large area where you can walk with and feed kangaroos. Healesville has a platypus show and you can walk through an area with wallabies. There is a penguin colony at the St. Kilda Pier.
whistler814 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I am glad you are skipping AKL. Definitely not worth the hassle.

To answer your question about the Penguin Parade, yes it is extremely touristy, but pretty amazing. It can be crowded but it is managed reasonably well. You will see a lot of little penguins. Unless you are really easily annoyed by others, it will be worthwhile.

The main issue with the Penguin parade is it is almost 2 hours drive from the city. You'd have to rent a car or do a tour. And if you don't stay down in Phillip Island, it is a long late night drive back to the city.

A good alternative to the penguin parade is to visit Melbourne Zoo to see Penguins, and go to see wild penguins on the St. Kilda pier. That combo is pretty good and a lot less work. You'll also see a couple nice parts of the city. I'm not voting against the Penguin Parade, just giving you some detail to consider.

I can also recommend Healesville Sanctuary northeast of town to see a lot of Australian animals in a nice setting.
whistler814 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
There are also some good appartments on Circular Quay which are good for families if you are there for a few days and work out reasonably cost effective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.